Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm a Cypriot national, staying in the UK with my wife, who is South African. She came to this country on an EEA Family Member permit. At the time that we applied for a residence card for her, I was a job-seeker (I had also registered myself as being self-employed, although my business had generated very little money at that point).

In the interim, I have been employed as a casual worker, earning £7.75 per hour (I am working an average of 32 hours per week, every week). My own business has generated some income, but not very much (around £500). My wife is employed full-time; she earns £26000 p/a, and also receives a private medical benefit.

We just received the news this week that our application for her residence card has been rejected, on the basis of my not being financially active in the country at the time of our application (and I'm therefore not considered a "qualified person" with respect to sponsoring my non-EEA wife's application).

So my questions are: now that I am working, and have been for several months (with the associated NI payments), should we just resubmit our application, or appeal the decision? Another thing that's got me very worried is the talk I've seen online of a minimum income of £18600 p/a for the sponsoring individual - will my current salary be sufficient to sponsor my wife's application? Would our combined earnings factor into the Home Office's view of our financial viability?

Any advice in this regard would be greatly appreciated, thank you very very much!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
£18,600 doesn't apply to you. Only to those under UK immigration rules.

Your casual job (with pay slips) should be sufficient to get your wife's residence card.

It's quicker just to re-apply with fresh evidence. You can apply either as employed, or as self-sufficient based on your wife's salary, in which case both will require comprehensive sickness insurance.

Wait until Jrge logs in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mate, I dunno what you're doing up at this hour, but at least I can get some sleep now! Thank you very much for your advice, and for your obvious dedication to helping people on this site!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.