Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After a few false starts and waiting for my partner's passport to arrive, I am finally in the last stages of filling out the EEA FP with the goal of getting the application submitted between today and tomorrow. I have a few application questions yet (and I took some time reviewing previous assistance threads).

Brief background on our situation - I am a US citizen with a Swedish bf who holds dual US/Swedish citizenship. We have been in a relationship for almost 9 years and have lived together for the last 6.5 years and are looking to move to the UK in the next few months.

My specific questions:

Question 5.9: Have you ever worked for any organisation of a type (state or non-state) listed below? - one of these is MEDIA

- I have worked for two business information providers in my career, the first one in the UK for a magazine (but as a researcher). My current employer has multiple divisions, including a widely recognized UK media brand, but I don't work for the media division. I don't have any qualms about putting down details for either with descriptor, but what is the reason for the question?

Question 5.10: What is your total monthly income from all sources of employment or occupation after tax?

- Do I have to respond to this? I have seen other guidance that it isn't necessary.

Question 8.9: Where do you and the EEA National plan to live in the UK?

- We still haven't figured this out yet. Do we leave this section blank if we intend to stay in a short term accommodation initially? What if we were to stay with friends?

Question 8.10.12: Do you or the EEA national have any savings, property or other income, for example, from stocks and shares?

- Do I have to provide savings details here?

Finally, for our supporting documents I wanted to include:

a) Copy of our lease showing we have lived together here for more than 2 years (both our names are on the lease)
b) Some payslips/bank statements addressed to him at this location
c) My current US passport
d) My expired US passport
e) His Swedish passport
f) Letter from him declaring that I am traveling with him to the UK and background on our relationship
g) I expect some other bits and pieces to show length of relationship like plane ticket stubs, a few photos, etc

If I don't have to include bank statements I would rather not as neither of my banks have branches in this state, although I could provide printouts.

Additional questions:

a) I had a failed application for a UK Highly Skilled Migrant visa back in 2005 (didn't quite meet the criteria) - does that need to be mentioned?

b) In my expired passport I have a Swedish limited residence visa in the back that was added to extend my trip a month. Does that need to be explained? I thought I would refer to it in my list of "trips taken to other countries" addendum.

Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi,
Hi all,

After a few false starts and waiting for my partner's passport to arrive, I am finally in the last stages of filling out the EEA FP with the goal of getting the application submitted between today and tomorrow. I have a few application questions yet (and I took some time reviewing previous assistance threads).

Brief background on our situation - I am a US citizen with a Swedish bf who holds dual US/Swedish citizenship. We have been in a relationship for almost 9 years and have lived together for the last 6.5 years and are looking to move to the UK in the next few months.

My specific questions:

Question 5.9: Have you ever worked for any organisation of a type (state or non-state) listed below? - one of these is MEDIA

- I have worked for two business information providers in my career, the first one in the UK for a magazine (but as a researcher). My current employer has multiple divisions, including a widely recognized UK media brand, but I don't work for the media division. I don't have any qualms about putting down details for either with descriptor, but what is the reason for the question?

Question 5.10: What is your total monthly income from all sources of employment or occupation after tax?

- Do I have to respond to this? I have seen other guidance that it isn't necessary.

Question 8.9: Where do you and the EEA National plan to live in the UK?

- We still haven't figured this out yet. Do we leave this section blank if we intend to stay in a short term accommodation initially? What if we were to stay with friends?

Question 8.10.12: Do you or the EEA national have any savings, property or other income, for example, from stocks and shares?

- Do I have to provide savings details here?

Finally, for our supporting documents I wanted to include:

a) Copy of our lease showing we have lived together here for more than 2 years (both our names are on the lease)
b) Some payslips/bank statements addressed to him at this location??????
c) My current US passport
d) My expired US passport??????
e) His Swedish passport
f) Letter from him declaring that I am traveling with him to the UK and background on our relationship
g) I expect some other bits and pieces to show length of relationship like plane ticket stubs, a few photos, etc ????????

If I don't have to include bank statements I would rather not as neither of my banks have branches in this state, although I could provide printouts.

Additional questions:

a) I had a failed application for a UK Highly Skilled Migrant visa back in 2005 (didn't quite meet the criteria) - does that need to be mentioned?

b) In my expired passport I have a Swedish limited residence visa in the back that was added to extend my trip a month. Does that need to be explained? I thought I would refer to it in my list of "trips taken to other countries" addendum.

Thank you for the help!
5.9.- You must disclose your participation on those jobs involving media of any kind/type. Government run media ( totalitarian government) is always a concern in a free world.

5.10.- There's no need to answer that.

8.9.- You could leave it blank or kindly share your friends address and/or short term housing: hotel/hostel.

8.10.12.- No.

Additional answers:
a) Yes, but it won't affect the outcome of your application
b) No

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jrge! I put in the electronic application tonight and have biometrics on Thursday. I want to get this thing off my mind and in the post for Saturday morning. Now to gather the supporting docs.

Quick question, as we are unmarried, and we have not combined our finances, what is the best way to show that we have cohabitated for at least 2+ years in a way akin to marriage? Our lease is in both our names, and I was thinking of sending his/my official mail with this address on it in support of the claim. Thoughts on that?

Oh, and does he need to fill out the EEA1 application?

·
Registered
39 Posts
BertineC,
Your thread will be really usefull to me. Thanks a lot for asking, thanks to Jrge as well for giving clear answers.
Anyway, by all the information you provided, I think it will be easy and quickly to get your permit.

What I would like to ask you Bertine, is: To apply you must submit his passport. Did he send his passport to you directly from UK?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there -

No problem! Always good to help another person going through this.

To answer - my boyfriend and I live together here in the US. He won a Green Card in 2007 and so we settled here first (rather than me moving to Sweden), agreeing to put the UK off until he got his US citizenship. He got that last year so we are ready to go! He just received a new Swedish passport (that was additional cost and time as he had to go to DC to apply at the Embassy direct) and that was part of our delay. It was waiting for that new passport to arrive here that I referenced in the first part of my message. Hopefully that wasn't too confusing!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi,
Thanks Jrge! I put in the electronic application tonight and have biometrics on Thursday. I want to get this thing off my mind and in the post for Saturday morning. Now to gather the supporting docs.

Quick question, as we are unmarried, and we have not combined our finances, what is the best way to show that we have cohabitated for at least 2+ years in a way akin to marriage? Our lease is in both our names, and I was thinking of sending his/my official mail with this address on it in support of the claim. Thoughts on that?

Oh, and does he need to fill out the EEA1 application?
If you have a lease (tenancy agreement) that's all you might have to send in to show evidence of cohabitation, but it is up to you to send more supporting documents. (Bank statements, social security statements, cable/electricity bills, etc). Add to your package maybe 4 pictures, paste them on a piece of paper (neatly) and briefly describe when/where/why was taken. For example: 2 May 2011, Miami, 2 year anniversary.

EEA1 (Residence Certificate for EU Nationals ) and EEA2 (Residence Card for non-EU Nationals) is something you will do once in UK, for right now focus on your FP.

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah good - thanks Jrge!

Thankfully the partner is meticulous about categorizing and filing digital photos, so we will pick a range of a few and the UKBA can see us get fatter over the years.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi,
Ah good - thanks Jrge!

Thankfully the partner is meticulous about categorizing and filing digital photos, so we will pick a range of a few and the UKBA can see us get fatter over the years.
No worries about the above underlined. Once in UK y'all will be healthier, but can't turn back calendar.:eek:

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just returning to confirm that my EEA FP was issued and our passports are on their way back now. So the final tally was as follows:

Monday 21 October - Electronic Submission
Thursday 24 October - Biometrics
Tuesday 28 October - Posted paper application to NYC (I mailed this out last minute from the post office by our airport at 7.57 pm in an Overnight envelope. It must have made a plane at some point that night because it arrived and was signed for in NYC the next day at 11 am)
Wednesday 30 October - Email received from UKBA that pkg was received and opened
Friday 1 November - 8 am notification that my visa had been issued and would be dispatched shortly

Edit to add - I enclosed a USPS Priority two day envelope as return postage ($5 or so). I also got a note that I had "purchased Priority service" and was moved to the head of the queue. While I have no idea if that actually happened, I felt more comfortable posting the application with the return label enclosed.

The documents that I provided:

1) Lease agreement with both our names, along with a letter from my landlady indicating that we lived there together continuously (we rent privately and so the lease agreement is more of a straight print out form letter, not a fancy carbon copy. It was just some backup.. and I work with the woman so I just had to stop by her desk!)

2) Payslips and official Swedish govt documentation for my partner proving he lives here

3) A photocopy of my medical insurance cards and a print out of my insurance coverage for the last two years showing us both on the policy (my employer has plenty of faults but is at least very progressive in allowing coverage for non-married hetero couples in addition to the more common same sex partners)

4) About 12 photos from 2005- current showing us on holiday in the US and Germany, holidays with each others family here and in Sweden, a nice photo of us with the kittens we adopted, and one of us at his US naturalization ceremony. Don't know if these helped, but what the hell

5) A stack of passports - My US valid and expired, his Swedish valid and expired (as he just
got a new one and his old one had proof of US settlement in it)

6) Signed biometric sheet

7) Cover letter

8) Passport photo for me

We won't be to the UK until early January due to timing here and having to take the cats to Sweden for the holidays, but it is good to know that this part is done. For EEA 2 I fully expect to have joint bills and finally get a joint bank account if anything to make the process go a little smoother!

Thanks for the input Jrge - much appreciated. Catch you on the flip side for round 2! :)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi,
Just returning to confirm that my EEA FP was issued and our passports are on their way back now......

Thanks for the input Jrge - much appreciated. Catch you on the flip side for round 2! :)
Glad to hear we have another happy client. Look forward to serve you next time.

Animo
(Cheers)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.