Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a Swedish citizen and my wife is a non-EEA citizen, living together in the UK. She has an EEA family permit valid from June to December, and is currently employed. We were not aware of the procedure or waiting time for extending such a permit, but it is now clear to me that we should have filled out an EEA2 form to apply for a residence card directly upon her arrival to the UK. It is more likely than not that the EEA family permit will expire before the residence card is issued, as the waiting time is more than 2 months. This might lead to my wife loosing her job and income until she has received her residence card.

I conceive of two approaches:

1. Apply for a residence card directly. She will then have to send her passport with the application. When she lose her job in December, she will have to sit at home and wait for the residence card to arrive. Best case scenario is that she gets her residence card sooner than expected with little lost income. Worst case scenario is that her application takes longer than expected or is refused, and she looses several months of income. So if there is a better option, we'd like to avoid this approach.

2. Apply for another EEA Family Permit. Can my wife apply for another EEA family permit upon the expiry of the first? If so, how can we do this while minimizing the time she spends waiting in another country waiting for the permit to be issued? Is there any way of getting the family permit issued quickly in a nearby country such as France or the Netherlands, without having an address there, in effect doing a "visa run"? Or do we have to apply in Sweden, where we have a permanent address to which the passport can be sent? For our last application in Sweden, it took 3 weeks to get the EEA family permit. Is there any way of getting it faster with an express service so something of that sort?

I appreciate your help!

Aqil

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.