Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to work out the EEA family permit thing.

My husband is a UK citizen. If we were to move to Poland, and he were to work there (he speaks fluent Polish), how long would he have to work before we could come to the UK on an EEA family permit?

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
I'm trying to work out the EEA family permit thing.

My husband is a UK citizen. If we were to move to Poland, and he were to work there (he speaks fluent Polish), how long would he have to work before we could come to the UK on an EEA family permit?
To qualify for EEA family permit under Surinder Singh judgement, the rules don't lay down any minimum time you must be resident (and your husband working) in Poland, only that the work must not be casual or transient. So it must be at least longer than 3 months (anything less will be interpreted as transient) and it must be a real job capable of sustaining the both of you. So, for example, working full time in a restaurant will be acceptable, but probably not just for weekends.
To be successful and to meet the rules fully, I'd say at least 6 months to a year, with a job contract, and you must be in posession of a proper resident permit as non-EEA citizen, which is required for a stay of longer than 3 months.

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
Have looked at some of your previous posts and noticed you have two young children. I don't know how much you know about the situation in Poland, but it will be very difficult to get a job there that pays enough to maintain a family of four. There is very high unemployment to start with. While the cost of living is low, but so is the average wage (around £7000 to £8000 a year) and that will be woefully insufficient to sustain a family, and benefit system is nothing like as generous as in UK. That's why so many Poles have moved to UK in search of a job and better future for their families.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Maybe we'd go somewhere else then. I don't really know yet, I'm just trying to work out a Plan B if we don't get the visa.
My brother-in-law has a high ranking job for a company in Poland, and he has mentioned helping my husband get a job, so maybe that would be a possibility.

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
Thanks. Maybe we'd go somewhere else then. I don't really know yet, I'm just trying to work out a Plan B if we don't get the visa.
My brother-in-law has a high ranking job for a company in Poland, and he has mentioned helping my husband get a job, so maybe that would be a possibility.
Well, if he can get an expat-type package (which will be like a dream job in Poland), it may be possible but the depth of economic woe there must be understood and accepted. So you need to consider all the facts and risks before relocating 1000's of miles with a young family. What if your husband loses his job or the company goes bust, and you have no support structure? Social security is quite primitive and doesn't amount to much. You can literally be stranded there with little money and sources of help. Winter is very bleak and houses are often inadequately heated and insulated, esp in many older properties in poor state of maintenance.

·
Registered
158 Posts
ive just caught on to the eea family permit ,it was suggested to me by a solicitor when i was asking advice about the finance changes when they came threw back last year ,but i didnt really take it all in and it was from a comment i read on here ,im always looking for a change that can help me and my fiance be together when we have no savings :( anyway she mentioned me going to ireland to work for 6 months min (im from uk and fiance is usa ) and him joining me as my spouse then if we decide to come back go threw the eea family permit which is free to apply for and am i right in understanding ,it gives him a work permit ? and he has to reapply every time he leaves the country say to go back to usa to visit family ? also reading posts is it hard to get one and can anyone tell me how long it takes to apply ? also would he have to go back to states to apply or could he apply from ireland seeing as thats where we would be . im lucky in that my employer has interests in ireland and i can transfer there so a job is no problem and i also checked out places to rent and again plenty around . its just the little details i need answering b4 i make the final move .any help would be great thx .my head spins with all the ways ive looked at so we can be together ..here ,there everywhere lol .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.