Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I'm gathering information to apply for an EEA Family Permit (I'm a US citizen marrying an Irish citizen who lives/works in the UK).

(I've posted here before so I apologize for repeating myself. This board is a complete lifesaver.)

I'm currently in the UK with my fiance. We recently got engaged and are getting married in the US soon, at which point I'll be applying for an EEA Family Permit.

I was detained on my way into the UK back in November and questioned, but ultimately let through on a visitor visa. While here, I made a subject access request form and now have my file from the home office. I have been going through the file very carefully in preparation for gathering our documents.

I know that because I was ultimately let through to the UK, I do not HAVE to tell them on my visa application that I was detained, however is it wrong to assume that they will find out I was detained/questioned and want to see the file the home office has on me?

Because (and here is the crux of my issue/question): if they DO want to see my file they will find some discrepancies between what is in their records/my file at the home office and what I will be writing on my family permit application. How much of a problem is this and is this something I should address directly when making my application?

For example: my file says I first met my partner in Scotland in June 2010, when in fact I met him in Scotland in April 2010, then he came to visit me in the USA in May 2010, then I came BACK to visit him in Scotland for 3 weeks in June 2010. I was extremely flustered when I was being questioned, and so it is POSSIBLE I actually said June 2010 by mistake, but I don't think so. (There are a few typos on the file I received from the home office which leads me to believe whomever put together my file was doing it quickly/not very carefully).

That is just one example, there are other small discrepancies as well (nothing very big/important however). And I know that they can in theory deny an EEA Family Permit visa on the grounds of "public policy, public health or public security". What exactly does "public policy" mean in this context? Can they not just say that the discrepancies mean I've lied to them and then say it is "public policy" not to give visas to anyone who has lied?

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hello All,

I'm gathering information to apply for an EEA Family Permit (I'm a US citizen marrying an Irish citizen who lives/works in the UK).

(I've posted here before so I apologize for repeating myself. This board is a complete lifesaver.)

I'm currently in the UK with my fiance. We recently got engaged and are getting married in the US soon, at which point I'll be applying for an EEA Family Permit.

I was detained on my way into the UK back in November and questioned, but ultimately let through on a visitor visa. While here, I made a subject access request form and now have my file from the home office. I have been going through the file very carefully in preparation for gathering our documents.

I know that because I was ultimately let through to the UK, I do not HAVE to tell them on my visa application that I was detained, however is it wrong to assume that they will find out I was detained/questioned and want to see the file the home office has on me?

Because (and here is the crux of my issue/question): if they DO want to see my file they will find some discrepancies between what is in their records/my file at the home office and what I will be writing on my family permit application. How much of a problem is this and is this something I should address directly when making my application?
Please read this: http://www.expatforum.com/expats/br...lication-us-citizen-moving-uk.html#post748339

For example: my file says I first met my partner in Scotland in June 2010, when in fact I met him in Scotland in April 2010, then he came to visit me in the USA in May 2010, then I came BACK to visit him in Scotland for 3 weeks in June 2010. I was extremely flustered when I was being questioned, and so it is POSSIBLE I actually said June 2010 by mistake, but I don't think so. (There are a few typos on the file I received from the home office which leads me to believe whomever put together my file was doing it quickly/not very carefully).
Your soon-to-be spouse could (but, doesn't have to!)clarify any misunderstandings in the cover letter; on which, he must declare you will be traveling or reuniting with him. This letter, must be included with your application (VFA5 - EEA - Family Permit).

That is just one example, there are other small discrepancies as well (nothing very big/important however). And I know that they can in theory deny an EEA Family Permit visa on the grounds of "public policy, public health or public security". What exactly does "public policy" mean in this context? Can they not just say that the discrepancies mean I've lied to them and then say it is "public policy" not to give visas to anyone who has lied?
Thank you very much in advance.
"EUN2.22 Refusal on grounds of public policy, public security or public health
Please note: An applicant who applies for an EEA family permit, but who may be considered as a threat to Public Policy, Public Security or Public Health cannot be refused under the General Grounds for Refusal of the Immigration Rules. This is because the application is made against the EEA Regulations and therefore the refusal would need to be against these Regulations."

Taken from:
UK Border Agency | EUN02 - EEA Family permits

Animo
(Cheers)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.