Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm an Italian citizen so member of the EEA.
I'm getting married with my American girlfriend.
What do we have to do after to let her live with me in the uk?
I live in London since August 2010 and I'm working as manager in the hospitality section.

What does she need to apply for the EEA family permit?how long it will take?
Of course she will apply online from Italy.

As wife of an EEA citizen they can refuse her to live here?

I'm really desperate because I don't know anyone to ask for some help.

ThAnk you very much.

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
Have moved your post over here to the British section because I think it's only Britain that uses the EEA family permit. You'll get better advice here than in the General Expat section.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Thanks Bev.
Where is your girlfriend now? After marriage, it's probably easiest to apply in the country she is a resident of, though she can apply anywhere outside UK.
What you need to supply is one payslip and one bank statement showing your salary being paid (even though financial info isn't essential, it helps), your Italian passport copy endorsed by the Italian consulate (or alternatively your original national ID card), and a letter from you requesting that EEA family permit be issued to your wife as you'd like her to join you in UK. That's about it. She will need to include her original passport and marriage certificate (professionally translated if it's not in English). While it isn't compulsory, some evidence to show your marriage isn't one of convenience will help, such as photos and record of travels together, joint accounts etc.
Timeline is pretty quick, maybe 2-3 weeks including giving biometrics and sending and receiving back supporting documents.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Good news finally.

She's in America at the moment, but we're getting married in Italy. She will stay in Italy till she has the EEA.

Can you tell me what she needs to do to apply for the EEA from Italy? And to who she had to give all the documents?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you. i thought that the EEA was free, do you know how much we have to pay to subtim all the paper to worldbridge? thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay, its euro 99. not bad.

basically, my future wife, after we get married has to do the application online at the website visa4uk, then schedule an appointment at the worldbridge in rome.

She need to bring and give them these thing?(payslip, bank statement, my passport or original ID,my letter requesting the EEA family permit, and the certificate of marriage, and some evidence to show that the marriage isn't a convenience one right?

Do you know where i can translate the certificate of marriage in english? It has to be approved by someone or it can be just a normal translation?

thank you.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You don't have to pay anything to submit your documents to WorldBridge. Of course you have to pay for your travel cost to Rome.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
99.99 euro is for priority service for certain visa types. There is no fee for applying for EEA family permit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello, after the 6 months family permit what my wife has to do to remain and live in the uk?

As soon she has the FP can she get a job and medical insurance?

Thanks

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
She applies for residence card on form EEA2. To do so, the EEA partner has to be exercising treaty rights, by working for example.
While she is allowed to work on EEA family permit, few employers will give her a job as the permit says nothing about employment eligibility and is only valid for 6 months. Same with registering with GP. Some surgeries may allow her to be registered as temporary patient, but she will probably have to wait until she gets her residence card valid 5 years.

If she has to submit her original passport, how can she travel to London without passport?
I don't understand. For what?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you think then we need to apply for the residence card then? I will need her to work while in London.

She needs to give her passport to the agency in Rome. Same with mine. Can we just give copies or they have to be originals? Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.