Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am newly registered to the forum but I have read loads of threads while doing research regarding the issue I am facing.

Im 23. I am an EEA national from Bulgaria. I have lived in the UK for the past 3 years and studied ever since. I am about to start my final year at uni and hopefully find a job as soon as I graduate. Or maybe I will start my Masters degree.

Now, my girlfriend is Bosnian. She is 18 and about to finish high school there. As soon as she finishes high school she would like to move here in the UK and pursue studies and a career. Now, it would be too early for us to get married, but eventually we will, as soon as she starts her studies and me get into a full time employment.
I have been reading a lot, and don't quite get all the rules and regulations, so I need your help.

1. As I understood there are regulations under the European law which differ compared to the UK regulations. To me it seems that it is easier to apply for a family permit under the European law rather than applying for a partner/fiance/spouse visa under the UK regulations. What is the difference?

2. Since we are not married yet, is it possible to apply for a family permit as unmarried couple, and then later on when we get married change it as she would be my wife?

3.Will I need a full time job and income over £18k to support her? Can she still get it even if I am in full time education?

4. We have been in a relationship for a year now, but by the time she will need to apply, we will be together for about two years. But all this time she has lived in Bosnia and me here in the UK and it is physically impossible for us to live together. We see each other on regular basis, at least once in two months. Is living together essential even in these circumstances? We intend to live together though, as soon as she joins me in the UK.

5. And lastly, what rights will she have if she gets the permit? Will she be able to study and get student loan? Will she have the same rights as I do with regards to work and studies?

Thank you all in advance for helping me out.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi,
Hello everyone,
I am newly registered to the forum but I have read loads of threads while doing research regarding the issue I am facing.

Im 23. I am an EEA national from Bulgaria. I have lived in the UK for the past 3 years and studied ever since. I am about to start my final year at uni and hopefully find a job as soon as I graduate. Or maybe I will start my Masters degree.

Now, my girlfriend is Bosnian. She is 18 and about to finish high school there. As soon as she finishes high school she would like to move here in the UK and pursue studies and a career. Now, it would be too early for us to get married, but eventually we will, as soon as she starts her studies and me get into a full time employment.
I have been reading a lot, and don't quite get all the rules and regulations, so I need your help.

1. As I understood there are regulations under the European law which differ compared to the UK regulations. To me it seems that it is easier to apply for a family permit under the European law rather than applying for a partner/fiance/spouse visa under the UK regulations. What is the difference?

2. Since we are not married yet, is it possible to apply for a family permit as unmarried couple, and then later on when we get married change it as she would be my wife?

3.Will I need a full time job and income over £18k to support her? Can she still get it even if I am in full time education?

4. We have been in a relationship for a year now, but by the time she will need to apply, we will be together for about two years. But all this time she has lived in Bosnia and me here in the UK and it is physically impossible for us to live together. We see each other on regular basis, at least once in two months. Is living together essential even in these circumstances? We intend to live together though, as soon as she joins me in the UK.

5. And lastly, what rights will she have if she gets the permit? Will she be able to study and get student loan? Will she have the same rights as I do with regards to work and studies?

Thank you all in advance for helping me out.
1. EU regulations allow to freely move from one State to another, and your non-EU partner could join you.

2. Perhaps.

3. No financial requirements at all as worker, but as student you must present evidence to have enough funds to cover your studies and your living expenses.

4. Here is where you potential application fails. You need to be in a relationship akin to marriage for at least two years. Meaning y'all needed to be living in the same place.

5. She will be entitled to the same benefits you have.

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
So you need to bring forward your wedding plans to be eligible for EEA family permit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you guys for the quick reply.

If it means we would need to get married, shall we first apply for a fiance permit in Bosnia so she can come with me to UK and then six months after we get married here in the UK? Can she apply for this in the Uk while being here with a student or tourist visa?

Now how does it work if she applies to university as a bosnian without yet having the permit but she will have it before the university starts. Can she be treated as a EU with regards to the fees and the right to have a loan?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
She will need a marriage visitor visa to come to UK to get married, and then apply for residence card valid 5 years as family member of EEA citizen on form EEA2.

She can apply for university place here once she has applied for residence card (it can take 6 months or more to come through but hopefully she will get a certificate of application letter soon). As for tuition fees, I'm afraid she will still be subject to international fees as she isn't an EEA national. I will check later to be sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see. I checked her elegibility for tuition fee loan and it came out positive. But I cannot tind anything saying what the tuition fees are for a person with a residence permit.

In terms of the aplication, is it not possible to apply for Uni before applying for a permit? She wants to apply for dentistry and the application has to be submited almost a year before the course starts, so i thought maybe it would be possible to apply for a course first, then apply for a permit in the meantime but before the course starts.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
About home student tuition fees. I think the rule that applies to your situation is:

(b) Any person who is a national of a European Union (EU) country or who is a RFM of such a national who has been exercising a right of residence in the UK as a self-sufficient person or as a student and on the 1 September closest to the start of the degree programme who will have been ordinarily resident in the EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway or Switzerland throughout the preceding three year period, provided that the period of residence was not wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education.

The rule isn't entirely clear but since as EU national you have been studying during the past three years in UK, your partner may not be eligible. I suggest you check your exact status with the university you are applying to, as ultimate decision is taken by them and not the government.

You should be able to apply before getting residence card, but check with the university concerned as there are usually different rules for non-UK applicants, whether EEA or not.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi,
I see. I checked her elegibility for tuition fee loan and it came out positive. But I cannot tind anything saying what the tuition fees are for a person with a residence permit.

In terms of the aplication, is it not possible to apply for Uni before applying for a permit? She wants to apply for dentistry and the application has to be submited almost a year before the course starts, so i thought maybe it would be possible to apply for a course first, then apply for a permit in the meantime but before the course starts.
She can easily obtain a tuition loan, but sadly with or without Family Permit or Residence Card, she will be subject to International fees as well, hence a much higher loan and interest.

Animo
(Cheers)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.