Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
I'm an Australian with an Irish wife and child currently living in Australia but looking to move back to the UK to live and work in London. We both previously lived there for a number of years, but I was unable to get a PR due to time out of the country. Just wondering what the easiest & safest way is to get back to the UK. If possible we would like to stay in Ireland for a month (with family) prior to entering the UK to hopefully line up some phone interviews. But it would be good if I had the flexibility to fly over for interviews from Ireland if required during that month.

• Is it better to apply for the EEA Family Permit in Australia prior to flying over?

• Is a Code 1A stamp relatively certain if I turn up at Heathrow with my wife/child & appropriate documents if I don't get a FP?

• Our child is a newborn and we are waiting for Birth Cert to apply for an Irish passport, to minimise waiting time is it possible to apply for the FP in Australia without having her passport yet? (I'm assuming we need to put her on the application as a dependent?)

• Is it any easier to get an EEA Family Permit in Ireland and then enter the UK?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
You should apply for EEA family permit in Australia, to avoid any possible hassle over Code 1A stamp at UK border.
Coming from Ireland to UK is a bad idea, as you won't go through UK border formalities (being in the common travel area) and you won't get your family permit activated. So travel via Paris, for example.
You can do that with your child. Just apply for her EEA family permit as your wife's family member (child). She needs her Australian passport.
Apply in Australia. No easier in Dublin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should apply for EEA family permit in Australia, to avoid any possible hassle over Code 1A stamp at UK border.
Coming from Ireland to UK is a bad idea, as you won't go through UK border formalities (being in the common travel area) and you won't get your family permit activated. So travel via Paris, for example.
You can do that with your child. Just apply for her EEA family permit as your wife's family member (child). She needs her Australian passport.
Apply in Australia. No easier in Dublin.
Thanks Joppa. Do I need to create 2 separate applications (one for me and one for my child) or can I just include her as a dependent child on my application, and then include her passport and birth cert with my application?

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
Normally you have to make separate applications (online), but you can book biometrics at the same time and some of the documents can be shared.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One final question Joppa. I received my EEA FP which is now in my passport (permit start date is tomorrow). We need to travel to Ireland initially for family reasons, and then I need to travel to the UK for a weekend on my own (ie without my EEA spouse and child). I want to fly Dublin -> Gatwick without having to activate my EEA FP as my EEA spouse will not be with me. My understanding is that it is not possible to have a valid unactivated visa in your passport and be granted a holiday visa by UKBA. Will I run into any problems at Gatwick, or do passengers flying Dublin -> Gatwick bypass any UK passport checks?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.