Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My husband?s an italian citizen living and working in London for more than 5 years. I am, his wife, currently on a 5 years residence permit.
We need to take his mother who lives in Italy to the uk.
She?s 64, she hasnt got a job, she hasnt got a house.
I was wondering what sort of documantation we need to submit to obtain the family permit for her.
Any little help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
https://www.gov.uk/family-permit

You will need to prove that his mother if fully dependent on her son both financially and for personal care.
That's not correct. A child, parent or grandparent is considered a family member and eligible for a family permit.

It's extended family members: brother, sister, cousin, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew, who must be totally dependent upon you in order to qualify.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
What is her nationality? What kind of residence status does she hold in Italy?

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
I took the following statement from the EEA Family permit site to mean dependent parent as one who is dependent on the EEA member.

Qualifying as a family member
You must be the EEA citizen’s spouse or civil partner, or related to them (or their spouse or civil partner) as their:

- child or grandchild under 21 years old, or dependent child or grandchild of any age
- dependent parent or grandparent

What do they mean by dependent if not depending on their family member for financial and personal needs?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Direct family members must be wholly or mainly financially dependent on the EEA principal to meet his or her essential needs in order to qualify for an EEA family permit, (children under 21, spouses, civil partners do not need to provide any evidence to show dependency on the EEA national).
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/eea-family-permits-eun02/eea-family-permit-eun02 Section 9
So non-EEA direct family member on the ascending line of the EEA national or their spouse or civil partner must be financially dependent. That is why I asked about the mother's nationality and residence status in Italy as they are relevant to the question.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Joppa she?s a Srilankan Nationality holding an italian PR.
My husband is her only child and she?s widowed.
Our main concern is that so far we didn?t need to send her any money because she had a job for herself so currently we haven?t got any proof of dependency. Even though now she?s lost her job and she doesnt own any property in italy and she doesn?t have any money on her bank accounts. I was wondering if this was enough to prove that she needs to come here to stay with us in our house...
Thank you all

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You can only try. There is a lot of wriggle room by Home Office when it comes to dependent family member, even though by EU law they are entitled to come to UK to join their EU son or daughter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your quick answer Joppa,
Otherwise what sot of documents we should provide to prove the dependancy stuff?
Thanks

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Well, such as her bank statement showing almost no balance, proof of not working, and you should start sending her some funds to help her before you apply for the permit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, such as her bank statement showing almost no balance, proof of not working, and you should start sending her some funds to help her before you apply for the permit.
Thanks, That sounds a bit hard though since she needs to move in asap, I will try to write a good cover letter explaining the whole situation.

She is also very sick, suffering from some life threatening sicknesses, in your opinion mentioning that would help us or not? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Thanks, That sounds a bit hard though since she needs to move in asap, I will try to write a good cover letter explaining the whole situation.

She is also very sick, suffering from some life threatening sicknesses, in your opinion mentioning that would help us or not? :confused::confused::confused:
If she has lived and worked in Italy then she is eligible to use the Italian Health service - which is a very good system.

Why can she not get medical cover in Italy?

If your husband has been living in the UK for 5 years and not sending money to his mother for her everyday expenses. I do't see how she can be classed as dependent on him.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well she?s 65 and very weak and we think its time for her to be with us. Simple as that!...
By the way I ve lived more than 10 years in Italy and I can garantee you health system in italy is mediocre.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.