Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been doing research about the EEA Family Permit and I'm finally ready to apply after getting the required documents together, but I just have a quick question I can't find the answer to. Does the six month expiration period begin as soon as I receive my permit or after I move to the UK? My husband and I are currently looking for a flat in Scotland but I'm not sure if I should apply for my permit before or after we find one. I've read it only takes about 10 days to receive the permit?

I am a US citizen, he is an Italian citizen and we both live in the US. Thanks for any advice and I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
The permit's validity starts from 'valid from' date stated on the vignette, which in turn is usually based on your proposed travel date (you can only apply up to 3 months ahead).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay that makes sense! I'm not sure when our travel date will be but we're aiming for the end of June. Depending how difficult it is to obtain a flat from overseas. Thank you Joppa.

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
You don't need a confirmation of UK accommodation in order to obtain EEA family permit. You can find somewhere suitable after moving.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry to bother you again but I have some more unexpected questions. Because my case seems somewhat uncommon (Both spouses living together outside of the UK and planning to travel together) I was unaware I also need a biometric appointment. For some reason I thought I needed to get that done after I got the permit, not before. So from what I know understand the order is:

1. Apply for the permit online
2. Schedule a biometric appointment at the British consulate in NYC and get my fingerprints accounted for.
3. Send my documents and proof of marriage, ect.
4. Wait to see if it is accepted or not, and if it is I am good to go.
5. After moving, Hubby exercises treaty rights so I can stay with him after my permit expires.
...Correct?

My questions are am I sending everything to the consulate in NYC? (We live close to it so it's not a problem). More importantly how long does it take to schedule a biometric appointment and is it usually scheduled right after I apply for the permit, or do I have to wait a couple of months? I'm concerned because my husband had to schedule an appointment with the Italian consulate more than a month in advance and I really hope I don't have to wait that long for mine with the UK. Sorry if this is worded weirdly. I'm a little sleep deprived.

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
Well, for EEA family permit, you apply online and after pressing the send button, you are taken to a page for booking your biometrics. You should be able to choose one pretty much from next working day or soon after. They are done at USCIS's application support centers (not at UK consulate), and there is a list of them for NY residents. Your nearest is at 201 Varick Street, Suite 1023 West Houston Street Entrance, Manhattan (full list at https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?a...or.office_type=ASC&OfficeLocator.statecode=NY). You go and give biometrics, and get your appointment sheet stamped. You then send that, your passport and supporting documents to UK consulate general in NYC, and wait for your permit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.