Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :) , I know there has been many questions about EEA and I found it very helpful but I am still not so sure I understand what should we do .

I am from the Czech Republic and my husband is Indian. We met 7 years ago in the UK. We are living in the USA now. It is very far away from our families and we do not see our future here. My husband has a work visa here but i am not allowed to work.

We were thinking that the easiest way for us to get the EEA permit is for me to move there first and start working, get him the EEA family permit and then during the six months start applying for jobs online. My husband is not ready to leave his current job in the USA until he gets a job in the UK. And to get a job in the UK through the internet you need to say that you are illegible to work in the UK . So now I am facing a difficult decision. Should I go to UK by myself when we have to stay apart for 6 months and hoping he will find a job during this time, and if he does not find a job I would have to come back to the US anyway.

Or as I understand there is the option to apply for the EEA family permit while we are both outside of the UK. How can we do this ? Is it just my husband who needs to apply or is it also me? What is the chance of getting the family permit like this ?

In this way, he could get the family permit, and then use the first few months of being able to work, for applying online from the USA and we do not have to be apart for so long.

I understand we need to apply online . But where do we then submit the other documents ? In one of the British consulate here in USA, for example in Miami ?

I understood my passport needs to be certified by Czech embassy, do they mean the copy of my passport or my actual passport ? Do I have to go there personally or can it be done by post ?

I know I am asking many questions and it seems like I did not do my research properly, but I find all the information on their pages very confusing.

I will be very thankful for any kind of help or answer.

Thank you

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Usually, the easiest way is when you are ready to move to UK, apply for your husband's EEA family permit stateside. You apply online, book a biometric session at a nearby application support center (there are several in Florida), and then send passport and supporting documents to NYC. You get your passport copy certified at Czech embassy/consulate, or, if you have national ID card, you can submit that instead. All being well, permit should be issued within a few weeks. Then you can arrive in UK together, and you can start looking for work (with your Czech passport as evidence for your right to work). He can start looking as well, though many employers are reluctant to offer him a permanent job until he gets his residence card valid 5 years. He can apply for one as soon as you find a job and start working (exercising treaty rights or being a qualified person). This way, you don't have to be apart at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EEA from USA

Thank you so so much for your reply. It makes me feel so much better to know that I can get help from someone.

I am sorry but I am not sure if I understand. Maybe it is my English or just me being too stressed about it.

My husband will not leave his current job here in USA because we had bad experience when we were sitting in india not able to find any job outside of India. Now he says that he will not be jobless again.......

I hope it is ok when I ask some of the questions again, just to make sure I understand.

1. Is it possible to apply for the EEA while both of us being in the USA ? If yes, is it just my husband applying or also me?

what is the chance of us getting it ?

I do understand it is done online and then in NY. MY passport can be certified in Czech consulate in Orlando.

2. Once has the EEA permit , can he still remain in the usa for few months and apply for the jobs online ? Will employers give him jobs just with EEA permit or as you said they will give him a job only after he has his residence permit for 5 years ?

3. If he comes to the UK on EEA how soon is he allowed to work ? only after he the resident permit ? I read somewhere that he can apply only after I (EEA citizen ) exercise my rights there for one year.

4. Does it mean he would be one year without work ?

5. How do I find the application centers for the bio-metric readings in Florida? by that did you mean the consulate in Miami ?

I am ready to go and live in the UK before him, just to give us an option....but if it can be avoided.....that would be great.

Thank you for your help :)

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Overall, it's much easier and more practical for you to get a job in UK as an EU citizen (no visa or permit needed) and then set about getting EEA family permit for your husband. Getting a job for him before moving to UK is next to impossible, as he has no right to work (yet) and they will want to interview him. So my suggestion is for you to go to UK first, get a job and then he applies for family permit and joins you. After moving to UK, he can apply for his 5-year residence card, which is proof enough for him to work. Any other option is going to be difficult.
He does biometrics at one of application support centers run by USCIS. See https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=ASC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you :) Ok so We have decided that I will move to the UK first and find a job and a place to stay.

1/ After how long time of me working can he apply for the EEA ? Can it be any job? And is living in a shared house with other people ok , or do I need to have my own apartment ? So he can apply ?

2/ I understand that after he gets the EEA permit he has six months to relocate to the UK ? If he finds a job within the six months, is he allowed to work on EEA if the employer is ok with that ?

3/ What if he does not get a job within the 6 months and the EEA permit expires , can he reapply again ?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
#1 As soon as you get your first payslip. Any job, full- or part-time (min 16 hours/week). You can be in a shared house. For residence card, you need suitable accommodation for a couple.
#2 EEA family permit is valid for 6 months from 'valid from' date. He is allowed to work on it, but some employers insist he gets residence card or at least a certificate of application stating his right to work.
#3 Provided you are a qualified person (e.g. in work), he can apply for residence card valid 5 years. He doesn't have to work but can if he wants to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you :)

Suitable residence for a couple could be a double bedroom in a shared house then ?

But after how long time of me working in the UK can my husband apply for a residence card ? So he can work.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
#1 Yes. You should enclose your tenancy agreement.
#2 As soon as you get your first payslip I would say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.