Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I am Italian and i am going to marry a Brazilian in UK and we want to apply for the EEA 2 residence card.
I am concerned about the economical requirements.

I am at the moment on a casual worker contract and my girlfriend is a student in Ireland, she will come to live in UK from January with a tourist visa (6 months) and she will need the EEA2 to work.

Do you think our economic situation will be a problem?

According to the rules: the EEA citizen has to "exercise the treaty rights" by working full time or part time.
I have a regular contract as a casual worker. I had the same job for 4 years, I never asked for benefits even though i am not earning much.

Do i need to show i am able to sustain my wife? Can they deny the EEA2 because of my job situation?

Thank you
F

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi,
Hi everyone!
I am Italian and i am going to marry a Brazilian in UK and we want to apply for the EEA 2 residence card.
I am concerned about the economical requirements.

I am at the moment on a casual worker contract and my girlfriend is a student in Ireland, she will come to live in UK from January with a tourist visa (6 months) and she will need the EEA2 to work.

Do you think our economic situation will be a problem?

According to the rules: the EEA citizen has to "exercise the treaty rights" by working full time or part time.
I have a regular contract as a casual worker. I had the same job for 4 years, I never asked for benefits even though i am not earning much.

Do i need to show i am able to sustain my wife? Can they deny the EEA2 because of my job situation?

Thank you
F
For as long as you have a contract signed or some recent payslips, you shouldn't have any problems sponsoring your soon to be wife.

Animo
(Cheers)

Reactions: frizzo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Jrge
Thank you for your reply, It's much appreciated.
Just 2 more questions if you don't mind:
1) My soon to be wife is worried about coming to uk to get married, she is currently on a student visa in ireland (she came to uk many times in the past 3 years), she is concerned she will be asked for a special visa to get married (visitor for marriage or civil partnership). I don't think this is the case, I think that is for people outside the EEA who wants to come to UK just to get married, is it right?

2)In the guide-eea.pdf there is a section saying:
"You also require proof that your EEA national family member has comprehensive medical insurance for him/herself and all accompanying family members."
I don't think i have a medical insurance, are they talking about a private one?

Thanks again! This forum is gold!

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Hello Jrge
Thank you for your reply, It's much appreciated.
Just 2 more questions if you don't mind:
1) My soon to be wife is worried about coming to uk to get married, she is currently on a student visa in ireland (she came to uk many times in the past 3 years), she is concerned she will be asked for a special visa to get married (visitor for marriage or civil partnership). I don't think this is the case, I think that is for people outside the EEA who wants to come to UK just to get married, is it right?
While marriage visitor visa is meant for those who marry and then leave UK, without the visa she may have some questions to answer at the border. Evidence of forthcoming marriage to an EEA citizen who is exercising treaty rights in UK may be enough to convince them, but they may think it's a marriage of convenience. So on the whole it's good and prudent to get visitor for marriage visa.

2)In the guide-eea.pdf there is a section saying:
"You also require proof that your EEA national family member has comprehensive medical insurance for him/herself and all accompanying family members."
I don't think i have a medical insurance, are they talking about a private one?
Only needed if you are self-sufficient or a student, not working.
UK Border Agency | Healthcare - comprehensive sickness insurance

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While marriage visitor visa is meant for those who marry and then leave UK, without the visa she may have some questions to answer at the border. Evidence of forthcoming marriage to an EEA citizen who is exercising treaty rights in UK may be enough to convince them, but they may think it's a marriage of convenience. So on the whole it's good and prudent to get visitor for marriage visa.
Thank you Joppa for your answer, i don't think the problem will be at the border, between UK and Ireland the controls are not so harsh, she came and went a million times.

The problem will be getting married. Today i received an email from the registrar and they say to attach copy of passport and visa, she just has an irish visa, and now i am worried it is not enough to get married in UK.
The UK visitor for marriage visa requires strong financial support and i don't have it, so i am really worried this is not doable... :(:(:(

Anyway i am waiting for an answer from the registrar at the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.