Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi looking for advise i have a child who is 13 they will 14 in a few months,they are currently in year 9 in england we are thinking of moving to perth in November,my main concern is if we come over and are there for say about six months to a year and dont settle and have to come back to england.he will then also miss exams gcses in england and end up with no qualifcations,should i wait to come over after his exams.Please advise.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Which visa are you coming over on?

Well the worst case scenario is that you come over, don't like it after 6 months, go back to the UK and your son would have to repeat a year. Or if you don't like it after a longer period of time and move back he could go to college to get his GCSEs. Or (last one I promise).... if you come here in November your son will do a few months in year 9. He will then go into Year 10 in Feb '11 giving a full year of australian studies before he goes into year 11 and his 12 year exam coursework. This is exactly what happened to our No.2 son. He will be going into year 11 in a few weeks when school resumes after the summer holidays.

Our No1 son had already completed a year of his GCSE coursework when we moved over. He had 8 weeks in year 10 here and then went straight into year 11 and his VCE studies. It didn't cause too many problems and he's just done his exams and will know which Uni he'll be going to when the postman arrives today!!! (soooooooo nervous!).

Also, if your son is looking to go to Uni here but completes his GCSEs I don't think GCSEs will be recognised, only A levels. Therefore he'd have to go to college to get the qualifications to be able to apply for Uni.

I think you'd be wise to email a few schools and ask their opinion.

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing, it sounded plausible in my head but reading it makes it look more complicated than it really is.

Dolly

·
Registered
1 Posts
Education Enrolment

Hi
My family is working towards migrating to Perth in May 2015. My child will be joining Year 9 & hoped that his studies will have minimal interruption during such transition period. I would like to know can I get a confirmed enrolment from my intended school within the intake area before arriving in Perth? What is the enrolment processing time should I submit my enrolment application when I arrive in Perth?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts