Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was directed here for hopefully a better response :)

I've tried searching the old interweb, but cannot seem to find the answer..

I'm at the stage of submitting evidence to TRA for skills assessment, with the hopes of being granted a 189 visa at some point.

I will be taking my children with me, and I just wanted to know about further education in AUS once the kids have finished secondary school.

Do they have Colleges as well as Universities?

Would my eldest son who would potentially be at college, or looking to go to college be able to do so in AUS?
Would there be any fees for this?
University fees, do they have a grant or loan system like in the UK?

Basically, I am restricted on when we can go, I don't want to wait until I'm 40 as I would lose the required points, but I also don't want to disrupt my child's education.

I'm trying to find out our options basically..

1. He stays here with his mother, continues education / apprenticeship etc, then comes to Australia within 5 years with his 189 visa. (after an initial holiday)

2. come to AUS, do an apprenticeship (assuming they do these?)

3. Come to AUS, go to college

4. Come to AUS, go to university

The idea is I'd like to be able to sit down with him and his mother to discuss his options, I will be including him on my visa application regardless so that he has the choice to come over if he chooses to stay initially.

He's currently 15, will be doing his GCSE's next year, I expect we would be moving over if all is ok no sooner than 2018 - visiting within 12 months of approval for holiday, then preparing to return for good.

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
Hi all,

I was directed here for hopefully a better response :)

I've tried searching the old interweb, but cannot seem to find the answer..

I'm at the stage of submitting evidence to TRA for skills assessment, with the hopes of being granted a 189 visa at some point.

I will be taking my children with me, and I just wanted to know about further education in AUS once the kids have finished secondary school.

Do they have Colleges as well as Universities?

Would my eldest son who would potentially be at college, or looking to go to college be able to do so in AUS?
Would there be any fees for this?
University fees, do they have a grant or loan system like in the UK?

Basically, I am restricted on when we can go, I don't want to wait until I'm 40 as I would lose the required points, but I also don't want to disrupt my child's education.

I'm trying to find out our options basically..

1. He stays here with his mother, continues education / apprenticeship etc, then comes to Australia within 5 years with his 189 visa. (after an initial holiday)

2. come to AUS, do an apprenticeship (assuming they do these?)

3. Come to AUS, go to college

4. Come to AUS, go to university

The idea is I'd like to be able to sit down with him and his mother to discuss his options, I will be including him on my visa application regardless so that he has the choice to come over if he chooses to stay initially.

He's currently 15, will be doing his GCSE's next year, I expect we would be moving over if all is ok no sooner than 2018 - visiting within 12 months of approval for holiday, then preparing to return for good.

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks
Assuming his mother is prepared to sign over legal custody to you, and that he wants to come, there may be possibilities for apprenticeships, TAFE colleges and Universities.

If he is in Australia as a Permanent Resident, and meets the entry requirements for his chosen area of study, fees may be substantial and will have to be paid up front or via a HELP loan - see final paragraph here: Explainer: how will the changes to HELP student loans affect you?

Laws regarding fees are in the process of being changed, but the changes are not approved yet, and may or may not be: ‘We will leave’: Kiwis and permanent residents reeling from uni fee hike | SBS News

Full fees can vary from maybe $4000pa for a Certificate Level course at a TAFE to maybe $20,000pa. The average cost of a standard 3 year University degree each year is perhaps $30,000pa - a basic 3 year arts degree might be closer to $20,000 each year.

In terms of apprenticeships, maybe start here: https://www.australianapprenticeships.gov.au/australian-apprentices and after that, google away! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts