Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I thionk the acute shortage of affordable housing is his biggest challenge. If he is serious about tackling the hoarding of development land by hedge funds, and restores the role of the public sector in housing provision, he might gain my confidence. More council houses were sold under Blair than under Thatcher!

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I had to go into the old industrial part of Sheffield the other day, I hadn't been in that part of the city for years. I was absolutely gob smacked by the amount of affordable housing that had sprung up on what was ex industrial brown field sites. Most statistics appear to come from London and the south east, we don't have many Battersea Power Station conversions in my neck of the woods.
Sheffield always did lead the way in that respect. Back in the 70s when I was studying urban planning we went there on a field trip because their public housing and transport systems were exemplary.

Has the new stuff been built by Sheffield council or private developers? Or some sort of collaboration?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts