Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am retiring soon and leaning toward Mexico, but an 'e'magazine I subscribe to suggested I also consider Ecuador and Uruguay. I don't see a forum for either. Are there any expats out there living in either place who can tell me honestly what they do and do not like about their community. What is the lifestyle is like?

Do any expats, anywhere, have any regrets about leaving the US or Canada or wherever they are from?

Thanks for your help!

MandyinJax

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi MandyinJax, I will be watching this thread closely as your 3 country choices mirror my own interests. There is a very active Yahoo Group that I follow for Ecuador that is informative. The last I looked for info on Uruguay there was little to be found, I am planning a trip there around Thanksgiving. Be aware, in my opinion, your contries run a huge spectrum in terms of their development and crime. Ecuador, while beautiful, is poorly developed and very high crime. Mexico, especially La Paz, much nicer (probably nicer than many areas of Jax) and very friendly visa rules for Gringos, Uruguay, much higher up the development scale and less crime. The weather in Uruguay (Montevideo) seems very seasonal and moderate. Good luck with research!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Largisimo, thank you for responding. I will look forward to hearing about your trip to Uruguay! I get most of my "in country" info from an e-letter I receive from International Living and personal blogs. My concerns about Ecuador are that the country is actually a "police" state and they use the US dollar as currency. What happens if/when the US dollars tanks or China recalls the debt? I lived in Japan for 3 years. The yen was 360 to the dollar when I arrived and 270 to the dollar when I left. I lived on the economy, nearly went broke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Be aware, in my opinion, your contries run a huge spectrum in terms of their development and crime. Ecuador, while beautiful, is poorly developed and very high crime.

FYI, I just got back from a 2 week tour of Ecuador. Spent time in Quito & Guayaquil plus a week busing down the coast from Manta to Salinas. Based upon my observations I'd like to comment on your message. While, like any 3rd world country, there are areas of poor development overall I was very impressed with the infrastructure, even in the small fishing villages along the coast while Quito and Guayaquil were very impressive! As for crime, the only crime I saw anywhere was a purse snatching in Guayaquil. The would be snatcher was chased down by a mob of about 50 people! This is one person who will be moving to Ecuador in July!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wm Taylor,
Thank you for your positive comments on Ecuador. I received emails from people who have made the move and love the life there. Like you, they have not encountered and crime. The pictures I've rec'd are beautiful with charming towns/cities and wide open countryside. I have focused a bit on two places there, Cuenca because it is large enough to have all the amenities, it is quieter than Quito, and Cotacachi because it is small, more intimate, has most amenities with others close by in Otovalo. Both places have the moderate climates that I'm looking for. I like that I can use the USD and not have to calculate exchange rates or be concerned with market fluctuations.

For me the big negative is that I can't bring my car because it is 2 yrs old and that it takes 6 mos to get a drivers license in Ecuador. Not that I'm planning on doing a lot of driving, but I would like to be able to explore the countryside and take trips to the beach.

I would love to hear from you when you move in July. I can give you my email in a PM if you don't mind.

Via con dios,
Mandy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mandy,

I myself, after visiting, have decided on Salinas for a number of reasons. First is I'm too young to retire (49) and want to get into some different things. I worked out a deal to buy a bar in Salinas while I was there but I also want to look into beachfront development. In fact the climate along part of the coast was my primary reason for choosing Ecuador. Due to the Humbold current effect there is a 60 mile stretch that is warm but very low humidity. Since I have Ruematoid Arthritis this was a large part of my consideration.

You really wont need a car in Ecuador! The Autobus system is great and CHEAP. The local intracity buses are a blast and a great way to see everything but if you're traveling to a certain city then use the Directo Servicio buses. They are air conditioned and have banos. Taxies and private drivers are also cheap... (expect to pay $75 - $100 per day) Once you get your permanent residency you also qualify for 1/2 tourist rates on all intracountry travel including air. Thus flying from Quito to Guayaquil would cost $31 versus $62.... I'd be happy to keep you up to date on my experiences when I go back for good.

Ciao!

William

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
William,
It sounds like you will be the "Jimmy Buffet of Ecuador". Operating your own business and being your own boss, living on the beach, all sounds a bit like heaven. I wish you all the best so please keep in touch when you get settled. I intend to do some traveling so I expect a fabulous margarita when I come visit!

MandyinJax

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mandy,

Edwardo, the one employee at the bar does make a great Margarita! I definately plan to keep him on although his salary is alittle steep. He is currently paid the grand salary of $8.00 per day! I'll probably bump him a dollar or two to ensure he stays...

BTW, you can contact me direct at w.taylor54 at yahoo

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have enjoyed reading about your new business venture in Salinas. We currently live in Mexico but are eager to check out Ecuador. I am particularly interested in the areas along the coast that have the lower humidity and hopefully more moderate heat.
We are coming in late Sept./early Oct. to see the country and get a better feel for what it's really like there.
Can you tell me about the availability and cost for high speed, wireless internet? Also, we plan to bring our 5 lb. Chihuahua and wonder about the "pet friendly" options with hotels, restaurants, etc.
Looking forward to getting to know more about Ecuador.
Valerie

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am nearing retirement age and have pretty well decided on Ecuador.....along the coast, because ocean and sand are mandatory to my future. Anyone out there who can fill me in on life there, what to watch out for and such? I would be interested to read what anyone can tell me about Ecuador.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Contact "Wm Taylor" on this blog. He just moved to Salinas, Ecuador about a week ago. He did visit often before making the move and actually bought a bar on the beach. He said the climate is perfect, with warm days and low humidity. He was very helpful to me and I'm sure he will be to you too. Good luck!!!

MandyinJax

·
Registered
3 Posts
I lived 15 years Mexico, Central America and South America

Please be careful. I would not recomend Mexico unless it is San Miguel Allende. Safety is a issure and all of Central America is unsafe except for Nicaragua, Costa Rica. South America Countries like Uruguay, Aregentina and Paraguay need to be considered. c
Hi all,
I am retiring soon and leaning toward Mexico, but an 'e'magazine I subscribe to suggested I also consider Ecuador and Uruguay. I don't see a forum for either. Are there any expats out there living in either place who can tell me honestly what they do and do not like about their community. What is the lifestyle is like?

Do any expats, anywhere, have any regrets about leaving the US or Canada or wherever they are from?

Thanks for your help!

MandyinJax

·
Registered
3 Posts
me too.....working on my retirement plans and want to correspond with anyone who has tried Ecuador or Uruguay.....I need a warm ocean breeze in my future. Anyone out there that can share about these coastlines?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Please be careful. I would not recomend Mexico unless it is San Miguel Allende. Safety is a issure and all of Central America is unsafe except for Nicaragua, Costa Rica. South America Countries like Uruguay, Aregentina and Paraguay need to be considered. c
Can you be more specific about the crime in Mexico and Central America and S America with regard to your experiences over the last 15 years?

·
Registered
11 Posts
We live in Ecuador - Cuenca

:) Hi all, I have been away from the forum for awhile but would just like to let you know that we live in Ecuador. One whole year now. We first came here in Feb 2008 and quickly fell in love with Cuenca. In no time we bought a beautiful apartment overlooking the mountains and the Tomebamba River. We have never looked back and still love it. Although we are not retired..........although we should be.............we keep ourselves very busy. My husband is a developer and I am a writer. Anyway we live between the mountains and also on the coast. A place called Ayampe just north of Montanita where the rainforest meets the ocean. Absolutely fantastic. We can travel around this beautiful country without paying a fortune. We can find anything we require here........even though sometimes we may need to make some adjustments.:eyebrows:
We are from Australia and quite a long way from home. Miss our kids but hope they will come to visit us and see this beautiful country as we know what Australia looks like and we also know the kids would love to travel this country.
Anyway I am happy to PM if anyone is interested to know more about our travels.
Ciao for now

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cotacachi, Ecuador

My wife and I retired to Cotacachi, Ecuador over a year ago and feel very safe here. It has many of the amenities of the larger cities without the crime. If you are looking for a slow paced, low stress lifestyle, Cotacachi is worth looking into. You can read more about our experiences on our blog at our Cotacachiliving website.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,
People on the forum reccommed you and your knowledge of Ecuador and the pacific coast. I hope you can help. I currently live in Canada and have decided to move to Ecuador for 10 months of the year. I am trying to decide which city; Bahai de Carraquez, Salinas or Tonsupa. I need a city that is not too small yet not too big...75,000 to 180,000 people. It must have a school teaching spanish. It must have something to do, as after 3 weeks.....quiet fishing villages become a little boring for me. I would like to buy a condo. Decent medical facility is important. I also tend to get bored, so would like to work part time as I speak 4 languages and will soon add Spanish to the list. My worries are that Bahai seems to be empty most of the eyar, Salina beaches seems to be really packed with 1000's in the high season and Tonsupa;s weather is the Winter is rain, rain, rain. I plan to arrive Ecuador approximately Oct 25'2010. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ecuador

Hi,
People on the forum reccommed you and your knowledge of Ecuador and the pacific coast. I hope you can help. I currently live in Canada and have decided to move to Ecuador for 10 months of the year. I am trying to decide which city; Bahai de Carraquez, Salinas or Tonsupa. I need a city that is not too small yet not too big...75,000 to 180,000 people. It must have a school teaching spanish. It must have something to do, as after 3 weeks.....quiet fishing villages become a little boring for me. I would like to buy a condo. Decent medical facility is important. I also tend to get bored, so would like to work part time as I speak 4 languages and will soon add Spanish to the list. My worries are that Bahai seems to be empty most of the eyar, Salina beaches seems to be really packed with 1000's in the high season and Tonsupa;s weather is the Winter is rain, rain, rain. I plan to arrive Ecuador approximately Oct 25'2010. Thanks for any info.

Greetings! I have no idea why anyone would refer you to me regarding Ecuador! I am considering it as a retirement location, although recent political events have me a bit nervous. I have a good friend who relocated from Kentucky to Ecuador a year ago and he absolutely loves Ecuador. He bought a sports bar and small Bed & Breakfast that he calls Cocos Too Hostal Bar y Restaurant on the boardwalk in Salinas. Salinas is a resort/beach community, don't know the population. But the climate is allegedly great; not too hot or too humid or too cold. I think you should send your inquiry to William Taylor. He is registered here on Expat Forum as "Cocos Too", I think. William will answer all your questions honestly, no sugar coating!

Good luck,
Mandy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings! I have no idea why anyone would refer you to me regarding Ecuador! I am considering it as a retirement location, although recent political events have me a bit nervous. I have a good friend who relocated from Kentucky to Ecuador a year ago and he absolutely loves Ecuador. He bought a sports bar and small Bed & Breakfast that he calls Cocos Too Hostal Bar y Restaurant on the boardwalk in Salinas. Salinas is a resort/beach community, don't know the population. But the climate is allegedly great; not too hot or too humid or too cold. I think you should send your inquiry to William Taylor. He is registered here on Expat Forum as "Cocos Too", I think. William will answer all your questions honestly, no sugar coating!

Good luck,
Mandy
Hi Mandy, I just found this forum and your thread here. I looked for the the contact info for William Taylor and did not see it on this forum. My wife and I are seriously considering Ecuador and want to take a 2 week trip there next year sometime. It would be great to meet some expats there and even find this bar that William Taylor bought. Do you have his contact info?
What have you found out so far on your own research? It sounds like the southwest region has a great climate.

Thanks,
Wade

1 - 20 of 24 Posts