Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!

I have planned moving from Finland to abroad for over five years now, I have decided to move in Dubai.

I have heard that usually western expats who are moving UAE are middle-aged guys on average and they are finding jobs that demand often work experience of 5-10 years. I am currently 20 years old and I would be moving to Dubai around in the age of 26.

After the graduation in about 4 years, I am doing Masters Degree, I would be having experience of about 2 years in the work and one year job experience of second lieutenant in Finland's Defence forces. Work experience would be done in good listed company and I would have very good recommendation letter from people in those companies and from others as well.

Can you guys see demand on the job-market to guy like me, moving to Dubai with mine GF/Wife and get decent job?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Robert

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
You have to have a job to live in Dubai so what sort of job are you planning to do as a masters with no actual experience isn't much or a discriminator ?

You don't 'decide to move to Dubai' as such but find a job in Dubai and as a consequence move here.

26 year olds with no experience are ten a penny here and unlikely (IMO) to get a high paying job in the finance sector.

I'm not sure exactly what an economist does other than make random guesses and get them wrong most of the time :D

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
You're asking for information about something that may or may not happen in SIX years time. Who knows what the situation is then.

Come back in six years time and we'll see how many of us are left here to answer your queries. Two years experience would not equal to a well paid job here.
Your best bet is to get a job with a company which has representation in Dubai too and get a transfer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay... Really deep analyst indeed.

It's maybe a policy in Suriname that your goals are few weeks ahead of you, but in Europe, and other parts of the world, some people focus goals to over ten years.

Have you ever before heard stories when former officer goes to work for private sector, without any degree or jobexperience whats so ever, but the are reaching for very well paid jobs, because they have had very good and expensive training in the army.

If you google "united states army rangers" you will find the type of work that I was doing in the army, as a officer. You have no idea, how much people can learn there about leading.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's make other type of scenario.

I am 33 years old guy with masters of financing or economics degree from the UK.

I am former ranger, got 6 years experience in listed companies in Finland and Europe.

Now I am going to Dubai for job interview-trip for a two week.

I have letter of recommendation from CEO's in some middle-size listed companies companies and Managers from very large listed Finnish companies like Nokia.

Guys with my field of expertise are getting 75 000 dollar starting salary in the Europe.

Is there job for guys like me?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Perhaps you should not believe everything you read on the internet. I might not be from Suriname.
You're talking about dreams and goals. What do you , a 20 year old boy from Finland, got to offer that would make the employers in Dubai to shower you with top job offers?

1) Finish you degree.
2) Gain more work experience

You're demanding answers on hypothetical questions. The replies were based on your current situation. If your response is to get stroppy with us straight away, I don't see how you will survive that well out in the big world.
You might find that compulsory military service is not that big of a deal in a lot of jobs out there.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Okay... Really deep analyst indeed.

It's maybe a policy in Suriname that your goals are few weeks ahead of you, but in Europe, and other parts of the world, some people focus goals to over ten years.

Have you ever before heard stories when former officer goes to work for private sector, without any degree or jobexperience whats so ever, but the are reaching for very well paid jobs, because they have had very good and expensive training in the army.

If you google "united states army rangers" you will find the type of work that I was doing in the army, as a officer. You have no idea, how much people can learn there about leading.
Cool story, bro.

Amongst other things, I recruit graduates into a consulting organisation. Based on that, you'd go on the "no" list for attitude.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool story, bro.

Amongst other things, I recruit graduates into a consulting organisation. Based on that, you'd go on the "no" list for attitude.
Tell me that what kind of graduates are you recruiting then. Simple saying "No" is quite an unprofessional opinion. Just because you are in the company that hires people, you can't tell what kind of person is talking to you on the forum, just based on his comment. I have done the same job when recruiting new privates to Finnish guerrilla warfare unit. I know that before making decision, you should meet the guy, know his history but the meeting is still the most important part.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn that people on this forum are so dumb. " Fat bhoy thim" should read between lines. It's clear to me that people who are writing to this forum, are not really that good experts as they think. Yeah and I bet that average 20 years old are more childish where you are coming from. We have the same thing in Finland. Take a focus on the best 5 percent of the generation. Those guys are different than people on the average.

I have talked about job opportunities with guys who are working in Persian golf region. I have got totally different feedback from them. While talking about future, I have mentioned working for in the UK and Scandinavia, but they have told me that they are going to need smart western guys with different skills.

You people may be pacifist and in your country army is only for the dumb people. In Finland military service is mandatory and only criminals and people with serious health issues, are forbidden to do it.

Could you guys give honest answers, instead of trolling the thread?

Thank you,

Robert

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps you should not believe everything you read on the internet. I might not be from Suriname.
You're talking about dreams and goals. What do you , a 20 year old boy from Finland, got to offer that would make the employers in Dubai to shower you with top job offers?

1) Finish you degree.
2) Gain more work experience

You're demanding answers on hypothetical questions. The replies were based on your current situation. If your response is to get stroppy with us straight away, I don't see how you will survive that well out in the big world.
You might find that compulsory military service is not that big of a deal in a lot of jobs out there.

I can see very much naive ideas on your thinking. You are defending yourself a bit too strongly. Think question on philosophical view. Isn't all situation with guys in here hypothetical until those have happened? Normal military service isn't always that a big a deal. Most veterans are not officers. I mentioned my military service only because achievements tell something to people who really know the military.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
How about getting off your high horse?
Do we have another "daddy pays case" here?

Did you familiarise yourself with the forum rules? It's apparent that you didn't bother to do that either. It might be acceptable to call people dumb in the bullying army environment. Here in Dubai you might land yourself with a prison sentence if you're not careful.

1) Finish your education
2) Get some more experience under your belt

Come back when you're in a position for some serious talk and have got rid of that teenage angst of yours.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
You people may be pacifist and in your country army is only for the dumb people.
And that one sentence not only shows your naivety but also your total lack of respect for the UAE people.

You'll last days here, you certainly won't get a job (and artificial intelligence is surprisingly a growth industry in Abu Dhabi), get off your high horse and listen to people that have forgotten more than you've ever learned.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And that one sentence not only shows your naivety but also your total lack of respect for the UAE people.

You'll last days here, you certainly won't get a job (and artificial intelligence is surprisingly a growth industry in Abu Dhabi), get off your high horse and listen to people that have forgotten more than you've ever learned.

Sorry mate. I was using argumentative language to make my point, because people did ignore my opinion. People are calling soldiers in many countries dumb and I don't do that by myself. Other people do like that in Western Europe a lot and I wasn't talking about the people in the UAE.

Could you tell me how did I offend UAE people? I am not bully type of guy, we just may have different way of using forums. I may be using too blunt language because I have used writing to forums in Finnish and Swedish.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,932 Posts
This is the type of trolling that you guys are doing when I started the thread. In my opinion it's childish if it just continues days.
Hi,
A lot of the regular members on this forum have seen posts similar to yours from people who are dreaming of coming to the UAE to find gold and make their fortune.
99% of those people never make it to the UAE.
The older members therefore have a rather cynical view of new members sharing their dreams!
The question is - are you one of the 99% or are you one of the much rarer 1% who finds a niche and makes their dream happen?
I guess only time will tell!
Best of luck
Steve

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How about getting off your high horse?
Do we have another "daddy pays case" here?

Did you familiarise yourself with the forum rules? It's apparent that you didn't bother to do that either. It might be acceptable to call people dumb in the bullying army environment. Here in Dubai you might land yourself with a prison sentence if you're not careful.

1) Finish your education
2) Get some more experience under your belt

Come back when you're in a position for some serious talk and have got rid of that teenage angst of yours.
I was using word dumb earlier because of feedback like this one. You have not ever seen Finnish army, me or mine working effort. You think that army is place where others are bulling. That it's true in different units, countries and by different people. I have never yelled or bullied anybody in the army.

I see your behaviour as bulling. You can't just ignore others opinion because. I have read all your comments but not many guys are giving real feedback.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Sorry mate. I was using argumentative language to make my point, because people did ignore my opinion.
Why should people listen to your opinion? Why should we give a flying **** about it?

People are calling soldiers in many countries dumb and I don't do that by myself. Other people do like that in Western Europe a lot and I wasn't talking about the people in the UAE.
But you were though, you stated "Your" Country, we live here, generally we see this little sandpit as "our" country.

Could you tell me how did I offend UAE people? I am not bully type of guy, we just may have different way of using forums. I may be using too blunt language because I have used writing to forums in Finnish and Swedish.
By calling them dumb pacifists, the Military has more cash spent on them as a percentage of GDP than pretty much any other country going (possible exception is Saudi). They're taught by ex SAS and Seals, for you to call them pacifists and dumb would see you jailed here for disrespecting the uniform.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
need smart western guys with different skills
I am not a "smart western" guy like you but my two cents.

You asked a question - will you get hired in UAE after 6 years. Who knows? Does my (or any of my "dumb" forum mates) saying yes or no make any difference to your life choices? When you are ready to take the leap in 6 years' time, if the world still exists, you will have a shot at a job like anyone else. Who knows, your skills may be niche enough for you to get a job. The world is going to change in 6 years.

If you have a chip on your soldier (or an inferiority complex) about your station in life, don't start abusing everyone. I for sure will keep my eye out for the resume of the finish ex-soldier (trained in guerrilla warfare etc etc) who works in AI.

And UAE does not need smart western guys - it needs smart Emiratis. In absence of well trained locals in specific areas, they go for other nationalities. This will be even truer in 6 years' time going by the local population explosion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi,
A lot of the regular members on this forum have seen posts similar to yours from people who are dreaming of coming to the UAE to find gold and make their fortune.
99% of those people never make it to the UAE.
The older members therefore have a rather cynical view of new members sharing their dreams!
The question is - are you one of the 99% or are you one of the much rarer 1% who finds a niche and makes their dream happen?
I guess only time will tell!
Best of luck
Steve
Thank you very much Steve. :)I haven't had real feedback at all and I couldn't get why people are so cynical.

I know also people who are just dreaming type of people and I understand very well frustrated comments.

The fact that "dreaming" about going to work for Dubai, isn't just idea for me. I didn't got the idea of moving there because of the skyscrapers and gold that tourist see in UAE. I spent 3 weeks few years ago with my friend from Saudi-Arabia and I know much about people living in the region and the hard working life style suites me. I don't smoke or drink and I am fine with that. I know that western guys are also second class residents there, with still much better way of living that millions of Asians people working there.

The only reason that why I am going to move to Persian gulf region is the fact that working there is ideal situation for me. In Finland social democratic party has frustrated hard working Finns with high taxation for the companies and people (avarage of 48,5 percent taxation rate for earning 4000 euros a month) and they are not making it easy to be start a company either. Still it's not at all about money, because you are not able to live your life how you would like in many cases. My life is based on goals. First one is with this girls I have been seeing for few weeks, other is in the degree like you guys told me, third is on the jobs in Finland and Europe and other goals are in family and career. I am not focusing on money because I don't enjoy making it, I enjoy from living my life, working, having a family and friends.

I hope that you understand that I am not here dreaming. I apologize for my comments , I didn't write my comments clearly enough for you to understand those.

I am going to leave asking a questions behind and focus on reading others opinion if the policy of the forum is that.

Robert

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.