Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you to all who provided links and comments on the Sticky Notes on the Economy and Employement in Spain.

We in the U.S. have indeed heard about how troubling times are in Spain. However, the news always mentions that Spain is making wonderful headway and things are looking up. Especially when compared to Portugal, Ireland and Greece.

I wonder if any of this is accurate. From the articles I have read on this site it appears that Spain is now in a depression, one the U.S. saw in the 1930-40's.

Here is my question, despite all the data I have read, my husbands company is considering relocating us from the US to Valencia Spain (we can also do Montpellier or Toulouse France but do not speak French). We will be employeed and we have 2 school age chidlren who will attend private schools. We will have a 1 year contract able to extend to 2 years.

Is it a crazy notion to even consider Spain at this time in history? Positives are: steady income and we are all moderate Spanish speakers. We love the Spanish culture and love of life. Negatives: Current economic times in Spain

I would love to hear some candid comments!

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Quite honestly, if you have a steady income, I wouldn't worry about it especially as you can also return home after a year or two.

As far as Spain recovering...no.

Things could get worse before they get better. Which does not mean you can't have a good time in Spain under your circumstances.

·
Registered
19,456 Posts
A one year contract in Spain still sounds like an opportunity to me, even though the news here is not the news that you seem to be hearing over there ie no heaway and no looking up.
Despite all the problems Spain is a great country to live in and a place where you can learn a lot. A lot of the country's problems stem from unemployment, and if you've got that covered... Other problems are more long term and shouldn't effect you too much over a year's stay.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
During the course of the lAst year or so, I have heard of many expats being offered a job transfer to Spain This is surprising considering the level of unemployment in Spain.
I have to admit that it makes me slightly jelous, but also curious. May I ask the OP what field does her husband work in?

anc yes, go for it. Spain is a great place to live when you have a job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
During the course of the lAst year or so, I have heard of many expats being offered a job transfer to Spain This is surprising considering the level of unemployment in Spain.
I have to admit that it makes me slightly jelous, but also curious. May I ask the OP what field does her husband work in?

anc yes, go for it. Spain is a great place to live when you have a job.
My husband works for a Software development company. He is very specialized, the products that he works with are parts of products he devolped while he worked in Research and Development. His company is global. The thought is to have a senior level person that could overlap the office in India and the office in the U.S. (very abbreviated nutshell). They have a European division. France Germany, Spain. The Spain office is in Madrid...but he can work remotely most of the time from home - we thought Valencia would be the best choice for us..

The Madrid office is staffed by Spanish people..not many expats..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you...
Valencia is gorgeous and only a short train ride from madrid if needed. You might find very confusing the local dialect, though, but after a while youll get used to it.
It is the age of the internet. There are many opportunities where you can work from home using Skype and email. It doesnt matter where you are int he world really, just have to take advantage of technology. I am looking for real estate agents to sell repossessed property, and they have to be based iin Spain. I will see how many people actually want to work!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Sky news UK, has done good coverage of the present unemployment situation(larger than the UK, which we who live here already know), and Bank situation today, including interview with a Spanish gentleman who is suffering due to present closure of factories and unemployment.
6th June 2012,. which is being repeated approx. once every hour, for those who might like to look.

·
Registered
2 Posts
:focus:
It is the age of the internet. There are many opportunities where you can work from home using Skype and email. It doesnt matter where you are int he world really, just have to take advantage of technology. I am looking for real estate agents to sell repossessed property, and they have to be based iin Spain. I will see how many people actually want to work!
i have a friend who would be good at this Job, how can i get more details?

·
Registered
22,399 Posts

You should be lucky then as six million are looking for jobs! I'm sure they are actively seeking work, not just enjoying their forced leisure.

But there are very many agents including banks selling repossessed property here in Spain already...

·
Administrator
36,849 Posts
[/B]

You should be lucky then as six million are looking for jobs! I'm sure they are actively seeking work, not just enjoying their forced leisure.

But there are very many agents including banks selling repossessed property here in Spain already...
& probably commission only, too

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Well I have come across a number of peple (non spanish) who have been offered a jop in Spain recently, this is mostly, as BOstonpapa, in the technology , IT, programing, telecommunicatios engineering fields.
There seems to be a shortage of these in Spain, and Spanish universities are failing to attract and prepare these kind of engineers, which is why companies in Spain have to look abroad to find professionals.

recently i read an article in El pais that corraborated my observations. Will try to find it.

http://economia.elpais.com/economia/2012/06/15/actualidad/1339777853_083430.html. FOUND IT!

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Well I have come across a number of peple (non spanish) who have been offered a jop in Spain recently, this is mostly, as BOstonpapa, in the technology , IT, programing, telecommunicatios engineering fields.
There seems to be a shortage of these in Spain, and Spanish universities are failing to attract and prepare these kind of engineers, which is why companies in Spain have to look abroad to find professionals.

recently i read an article in El pais that corraborated my observations. Will try to find it.

Los informáticos no entienden de paro | Economía | EL PAÍS. FOUND IT!
Same in the UK. My son uses sub-contractors in India as there is such a shortage of qualified IT professionals in his particular speciality, disaster recovery.

IT is very badly taught in the UK and in my experience consists of little more than being shown how to use Microsoft Office functions...It's chicken and egg....the teachers themselves aren't qualified to do much more.

We need a programme of education in teacher training institutions so that we can provide qualified people to teach others. Asian countries have been in the forefront of IT education for a long time and that's one of the reasons they are overtaking us.

The decline of the West....

·
Registered
15,975 Posts
[/B]

Or not, as the case may be! The banks are so desperate to shift their repos they are still trying to persuade people to take out 100% mortgages - people who could lose their jobs at any moment.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Or not, as the case may be! The banks are so desperate to shift their repos they are still trying to persuade people to take out 100% mortgages - people who could lose their jobs at any moment.
Yesterday driving down to Gibraltar for Quorn and gin we saw billboards advertising properties with 110% mortgages.:eek:
When will people and financial institutions learn??
Now that is a practice that the Government could easily stamp out by legislation.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts