Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Just joined today!
We are looking to move to Australia in the next 2 years. I know its a long time away but it will soon come round! We want to plan as best we can and secure a fab lifestyle for our children growing up.
My wife is an A&E Nurse with 5 years experience in A&E and 8 in nursing overall. She is 29.
I am in the RAF and have 2 years to push, my background is Tactical Data Links.

We are hoping that Emma, my wife can secure a good job with her experience. I have my pension of about A$16,000 a year too. But i will work, thinking of training as a plumber or tiler as there skills much in need, i read? Or would Emmas potential wage plus my pension be fine to have a good lifestyle:juggle:

We have 3 girls and maybe a fourth by the time we get there?!!:focus:

Consequently, where is best. We have watched TV programmes and Brisbane and Perth both look great for families and opportunities. Additionally, you seem to get more for your money when it comes to housing than places like Sydney?

So where is best? What sort of wage would Emma get if she worked full time?
Is it a good idea i qualify as a plumber, tiler retrade etc??

Lastly, whats the mortgage rate there? Is it easy to get a mortgage if you have a good deposit?

It looks as if the cost of living balances out as groceries are more expensive but house costs, petrol etc are cheaper, and anyway the lifestyle is a lot better from what i have been told by people living there or who have visited:plane:

Would be great if anyone could answer some of the questions we have. Looking for all the help we can get!!

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi

Welcome to teh forum

What is best really depends on what you like, we love canberra, not only because of the weather but because of many other reasons. Its small, clean, we have people we know there etc etc. what is good for me might not be good for you.

have a look at each state site, the link is on the please read sticky thread.. helpful links... each state has a different feel, community, culture, weather-wise.. for some hot and humid is preferred, for some quiet and laid back is preferred..

as for the wage for OH, have a look at job portals, the link is in the same sticky threads, that will give you an idea how much she can make.

as fr mortgage, this was discussed recently, have a look at last few threads, i think amaslam had replied saying, banks normally finance 90% of the property cost after making sure you can pay the EMIs on time. (they ask for salary proof etc)

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the warm reception,

yes it is helpful. We had thought that a mortgage would be based on 90% deposit. As for the best placed, Brisbane looks favourite at the mo. Its 2 years away but we are coming out on holiday first, a try before you buy sort of trip.

I will have a good look through the other posts

Thanks again:clap2:

Hi

Welcome to teh forum

What is best really depends on what you like, we love canberra, not only because of the weather but because of many other reasons. Its small, clean, we have people we know there etc etc. what is good for me might not be good for you.

have a look at each state site, the link is on the please read sticky thread.. helpful links... each state has a different feel, community, culture, weather-wise.. for some hot and humid is preferred, for some quiet and laid back is preferred..

as for the wage for OH, have a look at job portals, the link is in the same sticky threads, that will give you an idea how much she can make.

as fr mortgage, this was discussed recently, have a look at last few threads, i think amaslam had replied saying, banks normally finance 90% of the property cost after making sure you can pay the EMIs on time. (they ask for salary proof etc)

Hope this helps..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts