·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering to seek state sponsorship for one of the followings,

NSW - University Lecturer
Victoria - Life Scientist NEC
QLD - Microbiologist

I just would like to know which one would be easier.

Please kindly advise/share your experience! Million thanks!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
It all depends on the level of your competency and based on your personal interest too!!!

Obviously you can check which state has kept these occupations on High Availabilty List. If the occupation is in low or medium availability then you may refrain from applying to that particular state. Mind you, Victoria has the highest rejection rate and QLD and NSW are comparatively easier to get state applicaiton approved. Having said that, there are other factors like your IELTS score, whether the state demands your occupation highly, your work experience.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It all depends on the level of your competency and based on your personal interest too!!!

Obviously you can check which state has kept these occupations on High Availabilty List. If the occupation is in low or medium availability then you may refrain from applying to that particular state. Mind you, Victoria has the highest rejection rate and QLD and NSW are comparatively easier to get state applicaiton approved. Having said that, there are other factors like your IELTS score, whether the state demands your occupation highly, your work experience.
thanks for your reply.

As a matter of fact, i tried to check, but could not find the high availability list. Is that possible that you let me know where this information can be found?!

I thought QLD give only low number of quota in each round, comparing to Victoria and NSW. Am I wrong?!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am considering to seek state sponsorship for one of the followings,

NSW - University Lecturer
Victoria - Life Scientist NEC
QLD - Microbiologist

I just would like to know which one would be easier.

Please kindly advise/share your experience! Million thanks!
Hi,
Have you considered a sponsorship for PhD graduates in Life Science nec from Victoria? I am not sure how easy it will be to get, but the processing is very quick. You can check it here: Victorian State Nomination for International PhD Graduates - Live in Victoria
For that you would need to get your PhD assessed by VETASSESS.

I wouldn't consider QLD as I haven't seen many jobs there (at least if you want to stay in the state that sponsors you).

In my opinion, NSW would be the best place to look for work, but I am not sure how their sponsorship works. I read here that they do not reject applicants, but their processing time is very long.

As for high availability: Victoria has been sponsoring Life Scientists for a few years now and only recently increased the required work experience from 2 years to 5 years. This might mean that there are not so many jobs anymore... As far as I remember, last year QLS required a job offer to get sponsored as Microbiologist, so maybe more jobs are available now (or more people moved from there).

Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
Have you considered a sponsorship for PhD graduates in Life Science nec from Victoria? I am not sure how easy it will be to get, but the processing is very quick. You can check it here: Victorian State Nomination for International PhD Graduates - Live in Victoria

For that you would need to get your PhD assessed by VETASSESS.

I wouldn't consider QLD as I haven't seen many jobs there (at least if you want to stay in the state that sponsors you).

In my opinion, NSW would be the best place to look for work, but I am not sure how their sponsorship works. I read here that they do not reject applicants, but their processing time is very long.

As for high availability: Victoria has been sponsoring Life Scientists for a few years now and only recently increased the required work experience from 2 years to 5 years. This might mean that there are not so many jobs anymore... As far as I remember, last year QLS required a job offer to get sponsored as Microbiologist, so maybe more jobs are available now (or more people moved from there).

Good luck!
Thanks! JoannaAch, I sometimes read your post.

It is nice to get a reply from you, indeed same as you i did my PhD in Germany.

I have seen that QLS gives out a very low number of quota every time, probably I would not consider it. For Microbiologist, they don't require a job offer, whereas Life Scientists NEC they do. If I get a state sponsorship, i do wish to be responsible for my part to live in that particular state for, at least, some years. Your reply give me confident in this decision. Thank you!

Would you mind sharing your experience in the Vetassess? As a matter of fact, by training (PhD and Postdoc), i researched on parasite, so I can be classified as Life Scientists NEC. However, the last few years (after my postdoc), I have not really worked on parasitology anymore (as I taught in a uni). Would that be a problem during Skill Select?!

On the other hand, i taught in a College (university level) for 4 years (out of the last 5 years), so I do have solid college teaching experience. It should be straightforward for me to get a positive assessment for 'University Lecturer'.

In that case, may be i should go for NSW?!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
It does not matter when you obtained your PhD. You can definitely apply as a University Tutor to NSW. First, get your skills assessed from VETASSESS.

By the way, I also studied my undergrad (from Bremen) and Postgraduate studies in Cologne University. Looks like only persons who lived in Germany are replying to your Thread:):)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does not matter when you obtained your PhD. You can definitely apply as a University Tutor to NSW. First, get your skills assessed from VETASSESS.

By the way, I also studied my undergrad (from Bremen) and Postgraduate studies in Cologne University. Looks like only persons who lived in Germany are replying to your Thread:):)

hee.... hee.....

Although i left, I like Germany! I felt that it is my second homeland.....
I heard Bremen is nice, though i was never there.

But for the quick processing for Vic SS, the PhD needs to be within 5 years, i just checked.

Perhaps, in that case, i will just try NSW first.

Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
18 Posts
thanks for your reply.

As a matter of fact, i tried to check, but could not find the high availability list. Is that possible that you let me know where this information can be found?!

I thought QLD give only low number of quota in each round, comparing to Victoria and NSW. Am I wrong?!
It will be quite challenging, but best of luck mate! :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks! JoannaAch, I sometimes read your post.

It is nice to get a reply from you, indeed same as you i did my PhD in Germany.

I have seen that QLS gives out a very low number of quota every time, probably I would not consider it. For Microbiologist, they don't require a job offer, whereas Life Scientists NEC they do. If I get a state sponsorship, i do wish to be responsible for my part to live in that particular state for, at least, some years. Your reply give me confident in this decision. Thank you!

Would you mind sharing your experience in the Vetassess? As a matter of fact, by training (PhD and Postdoc), i researched on parasite, so I can be classified as Life Scientists NEC. However, the last few years (after my postdoc), I have not really worked on parasitology anymore (as I taught in a uni). Would that be a problem during Skill Select?!

On the other hand, i taught in a College (university level) for 4 years (out of the last 5 years), so I do have solid college teaching experience. It should be straightforward for me to get a positive assessment for 'University Lecturer'.

In that case, may be i should go for NSW?!
Hi,
As for Vetassess they assess experience in the last 5 years ("the applicant must have at least one year of post-qualification employment in a field which is highly relevant and at an appropriate skill level to your nominated occupation completed in the five years before the date of application for a Skills Assessment"). So if you haven't worked as Life Scientist nec in the last 5 years for more than 12 months, Uni Lecturer assessment should be easier to get.

Also, I know one person who got assessment as Life Scientist nec, had PhD from Netherlands and great IELTS score and was rejected as people in her research field were not "needed" in Victoria... So, I would be careful with applying to them. It seems like they only need people working in specific research fields and it is hard to tell which ones... There is a booklet called "Final-Biotechnology-Skills-Review-August-2010" (maybe you can even find a more recent one) where they summarize the skills they really need.

If I were you, I think I would go for NSW as it's your most recent experience so easier with all the formal work (collecting references etc.), NSW has lots of jobs and you can get interviews and job offers even if you are overseas (and you have no post doc experience - like me:), and Victoria has some weird rules for giving SS that nobody understands and you might be rejected for no reason.

Hope that helps!
Jo

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,
As for Vetassess they assess experience in the last 5 years ("the applicant must have at least one year of post-qualification employment in a field which is highly relevant and at an appropriate skill level to your nominated occupation completed in the five years before the date of application for a Skills Assessment"). So if you haven't worked as Life Scientist nec in the last 5 years for more than 12 months, Uni Lecturer assessment should be easier to get.

Also, I know one person who got assessment as Life Scientist nec, had PhD from Netherlands and great IELTS score and was rejected as people in her research field were not "needed" in Victoria... So, I would be careful with applying to them. It seems like they only need people working in specific research fields and it is hard to tell which ones... There is a booklet called "Final-Biotechnology-Skills-Review-August-2010" (maybe you can even find a more recent one) where they summarize the skills they really need.

If I were you, I think I would go for NSW as it's your most recent experience so easier with all the formal work (collecting references etc.), NSW has lots of jobs and you can get interviews and job offers even if you are overseas (and you have no post doc experience - like me:), and Victoria has some weird rules for giving SS that nobody understands and you might be rejected for no reason.

Hope that helps!
Jo
Thanks for the very helpful tips! In that case, i will most likely go for uni lecturer. I also heard that Vic has the highest rejection rate... :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, friends:

i am in the process of filling out the Vetassess form. In order to claim for the 20 points for PhD, does one need to get the PhD assessed by Vetassess too? Mine is with University of Heidelberg, Germany.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would guess that it will be needed as the CO would not probably know if it's at the required level. You might do it know, or wait if the CO asks for Points Test Advice. But I have seen one member here that got his visa rejected (or faced the possibility of rejection) because the Case Officer thought his/her PhD from Germany was not equivalent to an Australian one. How long was your PhD? In Au it usually takes 4years, while in Germany you can do it in 3 years or even less...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would guess that it will be needed as the CO would not probably know if it's at the required level. You might do it know, or wait if the CO asks for Points Test Advice. But I have seen one member here that got his visa rejected (or faced the possibility of rejection) because the Case Officer thought his/her PhD from Germany was not equivalent to an Australian one. How long was your PhD? In Au it usually takes 4years, while in Germany you can do it in 3 years or even less...
ooops, mine is 3 years, will that be a problem.... what can i do?! any suggestion?

but, even in uk, it is 3 years.

·
Registered
375 Posts
ooops, mine is 3 years, will that be a problem.... what can i do?! any suggestion?

but, even in uk, it is 3 years.
I don't know how expensive is VETASSESS Points Test Advice, but I think it is quite cheap (comparing to the whole assessment) so you can just apply and see what they say.

Have you already passed IELTS? It can give you up to 20 points extra, while a PhD is just 5 extra points. It might be actually cheaper and easier to take IELTS than to get points for your PhD.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know how expensive is VETASSESS Points Test Advice, but I think it is quite cheap (comparing to the whole assessment) so you can just apply and see what they say.

Have you already passed IELTS? It can give you up to 20 points extra, while a PhD is just 5 extra points. It might be actually cheaper and easier to take IELTS than to get points for your PhD.
Thanks for your advice, i will apply for the points test, and will try to supply the papers i published during my PhD time to prove the quality and achievement.

It is not that cheap though, for Phd assessment, it costs AUD350 from offshore; plus work experience, it will be AUD 400-500, depending how many employment to assess.

I already got my IELTs, overall 7.5.

My problem is i am not that young anymore,

Age 15
PhD 20
Work experience (if all are considered relevant, 5 years) 10
IELTS 10

add up 55, i still need 5 from SS

I am considering to retake an IELTs general test, which may give me a higher band?! But, on the other hand, if my PhD/work experience is recognized, I would have enough points as long as i get a SS. So, it may not be necessary. Exams are always hits and miss....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts