Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a degree in business, 6 years experience in procurement and logistics, I'm 32 and looking to make more money. it seems these are the top two choices where i can make good money , have a decent quality of life, and willing to hire Americans. im thinking about just packing up and moving to one of these two places and looking for work

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have no idea about UAE, but Singapore still has jobs in your area as far as I know, although not the highly paid expat position you seem to be dreaming of (those get rarer and rarer and you can basically only get one if you are sent there by an overseas company, and for a niche position that cannot be filled locally).
For an efficient job search in Singapore, you need to be in the country - so try to arrange a trip for as long as you can afford (one month is probably not enough). Personal connections are the best source of leads, so network furiously during that time!
Jobs at local conditions pay less than what you'd get in the USA, but the better living standard makes up for that in my opinion.

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
Be careful also about retirement savings, etc. If you don't have at least 10 years of nontrivial U.S. Social Security contributions then you (probably) won't be eligible for U.S. Social Security retirement benefits and Medicare. At age 32 you're probably OK (in the sense of qualifying for something) if you've worked full time during summer breaks, etc., but check your contribution history.

Also factor in the loss of U.S. tax-favored savings vehicles. Those basically don't exist for U.S. citizens living and working in the UAE and Singapore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recommend you to go to send some e-mails with CVs saying that you are moving to Singapore. Then try to arrange some job interviews.
You will have to risk some money and travel to the interviews you could get but I think it is the best way to get a job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It depends on where you live. Some cities have higher employment rates than others.

Besides that, Starbucks might hire you. I think American Eagle requires previous experience, but good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts