Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, how did you like that one? Guadalajara shook to the roots, buildings swayed, and people ran to the streets. This was a biggy. I´ve been through many in California, but only 3 really big ones including the one in Colima and this one ranks up there with the biggest. Awaiting damage reports. Fear factor is even worse for some. What did you experience?

·
Super Moderator
9,063 Posts
Not much in Melaque but felt it ... off Michoacan
I didn't feel anything in Mexico City, but a couple of friends I met for coffee right after it hit asked me if I was ok. I think I didn't feel anything because I was out on the street. When I'm in my third-floor apartment, I feel every tremor, whether from a quake or a large truck rumbling down my street.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well, how did you like that one? Guadalajara shook to the roots, buildings swayed, and people ran to the streets. This was a biggy. I´ve been through many in California, but only 3 really big ones including the one in Colima and this one ranks up there with the biggest. Awaiting damage reports. Fear factor is even worse for some. What did you experience?
According to news reports here, the quake was a 6.5, and not much damage was reported. Centered in Michoacan, where I hope to live very soon.:eek:

But since I live in the east Bay Area quite close to the long-awaited "Big One" on the Hayward Fault, I've gotten cold-blooded over the years.:cool:

Earthquakes are strange. Back in 1989, the Bay Area had what we called "the pretty Big One," which was a 6.9 and did considerable damage (including the well-known collapsed freeway which killed many). I was at home sick in bed when it hit at 5:04 p.m. It seemed humongous and sustained, and it tossed me right out of bed onto the floor, where I was beaned by an ironing board I had left propped on the wall. But only 8 feet away, two stacks of cassette tapes 10 deep just shifted on my desk and didn't fall. Go figure.:confused:

Anyway, thank goodness this monster was really just a little guy. That 8.6 quake that just hit Indonesia was a doozy, and would have been a major catastrophe in either California or Mexico.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What time did the earthquake hit? about? I looked at the usgs seismic activity page and it shows a 6.5 earthquake in Michoacan which i felt here in Colima. It hit about 6pm today Wednesday 11th, but this doesn't sound like what you experienced. Do you know where the earthquake was centered and the magnitude?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I didn't feel anything in Mexico City, but a couple of friends I met for coffee right after it hit asked me if I was ok. I think I didn't feel anything because I was out on the street. When I'm in my third-floor apartment, I feel every tremor, whether from a quake or a large truck rumbling down my street.
Depends where you are, anywhere in downtown you will feel it because the soil is like jello, if you are in the south of town the soil is solid volcanic rock where you are less likely to feel anything.

·
Super Moderator
9,063 Posts
Depends where you are, anywhere in downtown you will feel it because the soil is like jello, if you are in the south of town the soil is solid volcanic rock where you are less likely to feel anything.
I live near downtown, near El Angel and the US Embassy, just off Reforma. What's odd is that we usually feel quakes where I live, and most of my neighbors felt it too, but I didn't this time. Rather odd :confused:.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Not sure where but was reading an article recently about tectonic plates. I was surprised that in addition to the major fault down the west coast of Mexico that there were a number of smaller plates in both western & southern Mexico that are expected to be active so not surprised with the activity. Luckily none of this is anywhere near where we are in the state of Guanajuato, knock on wood!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm living in Uruapan and living on the 2nd floor and WOW! I'm from CA and used to pretty big ones. This reminded me of one of them. It's not just that it rocks once, but then sways the other way. Motion sickness!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Here on the coast in Zihuatanejo, Guerrero, (apparently 143 km from the epicenter), our apartment on the top floor of the 4 floor building had a fairly strong side-to-side shake that lasted for maybe 10 seconds. No damage in this area that I've heard of.
The day before, we had a huge fog roll into Zihua Bay at around 11 am that actually frightened a lot of locals, who said they've never seen anything like it. Even though we're on the ocean, on-shore fog is uncommon here. This one was apparently caused by cool air from the much colder-than-usual sea temperatures meeting the heat of the land. Watching the fog roll-in, we went from a clear, cloudless blue sky to visibility of perhaps 50 feet, and the temperature dropped maybe 5C. The fog condensed on the palm fronds above our beach umbrella, and we were treated to the sounds of a summer shower under our umbrella for 5 or 10 minutes. This fog was so uncommon and unusual that some locals thought it was the precursor to a tsunami rolling into the Bay.
The weather here has been unusual since we arrived. October and November were warmer than usual, due to high humidity. December, January and February stayed hot. Since 1 March, it's been cooler days, some very cool (for Zihua) nights, and lower humidity, at a time of year when it should be getting much hotter. One night a week ago it dropped to 14C/57F - the coldest on record for this time of year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.