Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Im a mechanical engineer with 4 yrs of experience in IT industry.
My work involved writing software for stress calculations, Should-Cost Calculation, specifically in the aerospace sector. Can i include this work in my CDR as career episodes for degree assessment from Engineers Australia?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi,
Im a mechanical engineer with 4 yrs of experience in IT industry.
My work involved writing software for stress calculations, Should-Cost Calculation, specifically in the aerospace sector. Can i include this work in my CDR as career episodes for degree assessment from Engineers Australia?
I would highly recommend reading the MSA booklet before you attempt to write the CDR.
You can write your career episodes on Academic Projects, Training, Industrial visits, and Work experience (provided you can submit work exp documents).
When you decide to write a career episode, ask yourself following questions before you start writing and proceed if you answer yes to all of them.

1. Did you use the knowledge of your domain in this project?

2. Would you be able to claim a majority of the competencies of an Australian Engineer listed by EA?

3. If asked for documentation/proofs, would you able to provide those?

4. Below are the tasks of a Mechanical Engineer. according to Anzsco Code 233512 Did you perform any of these duties during this project?
->Studying functional statements, organisational charts and project information to determine functions and responsibilities of workers and work units and to identify areas of duplication
->Establishing work measurement programs and analysing work samples to develop standards for labour utilisation
->Analysing workforce utilisation, facility layout, operational data and production schedules and costs to determine optimum worker and equipment efficiencies
->Designing mechanical equipment, machines, components, products for manufacture, and plant and systems for construction
->Developing specifications for manufacture, and determining materials, equipment, piping, material flows, capacities and layout of plant and systems
->Organising and managing project labour and the delivery of materials, plant and equipment
->Establishing standards and policies for installation, modification, quality control, testing, inspection and maintenance according to engineering principles and safety regulations
->Inspecting plant to ensure optimum performance is maintained
->Directing the maintenance of plant buildings and equipment, and coordinating the requirements for new designs, surveys and maintenance schedules

5. Lastly, (most important one) does this project make you a Mechanical Engineer?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi vj..
My degree is in eltx and comm. while my entire work experience (4years) is related to 233513 anzsco code.. (production/plant) engineer.. my question is would i get points for both i.e. Education qualification and work experience.. or for either edu. Quali. Or work experience.??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would highly recommend reading the MSA booklet before you attempt to write the CDR.
You can write your career episodes on Academic Projects, Training, Industrial visits, and Work experience (provided you can submit work exp documents).
When you decide to write a career episode, ask yourself following questions before you start writing and proceed if you answer yes to all of them.

1. Did you use the knowledge of your domain in this project?

2. Would you be able to claim a majority of the competencies of an Australian Engineer listed by EA?

3. If asked for documentation/proofs, would you able to provide those?

4. Below are the tasks of a Mechanical Engineer. according to Anzsco Code 233512 Did you perform any of these duties during this project?
->Studying functional statements, organisational charts and project information to determine functions and responsibilities of workers and work units and to identify areas of duplication
->Establishing work measurement programs and analysing work samples to develop standards for labour utilisation
->Analysing workforce utilisation, facility layout, operational data and production schedules and costs to determine optimum worker and equipment efficiencies
->Designing mechanical equipment, machines, components, products for manufacture, and plant and systems for construction
->Developing specifications for manufacture, and determining materials, equipment, piping, material flows, capacities and layout of plant and systems
->Organising and managing project labour and the delivery of materials, plant and equipment
->Establishing standards and policies for installation, modification, quality control, testing, inspection and maintenance according to engineering principles and safety regulations
->Inspecting plant to ensure optimum performance is maintained
->Directing the maintenance of plant buildings and equipment, and coordinating the requirements for new designs, surveys and maintenance schedules

5. Lastly, (most important one) does this project make you a Mechanical Engineer?
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Is any sort of proof required for Academic Projects, Training, Industrial visits?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Is any sort of proof required for Academic Projects, Training, Industrial visits?
This depends on case to case. Best is to have proofs handy just in case CO asks for it.
I recently read on this forum that CO asked the applicant to submit "All the field works and original project report he submitted as his final year project".

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi vj..
My degree is in eltx and comm. while my entire work experience (4years) is related to 233513 anzsco code.. (production/plant) engineer.. my question is would i get points for both i.e. Education qualification and work experience.. or for either edu. Quali. Or work experience.??

I'm assuming by eltx you meant Electronics.
The assessing authority for Electronics and Communication degree is ACS and for Production/Plant engineer it is EA.
As both of them are different occupations (different Anzsco Codes) you would be able to claim points for either of these two.

·
Registered
942 Posts
What..???
Should i get assessed from EA or ACS??

·
Registered
942 Posts
And i have made carrier episode as per production field. Should i change/twist them to electronics.?? What about R&R .?

·
Registered
157 Posts
What..???
Should i get assessed from EA or ACS??

I'm sorry, I meant to write The assessing authority for Electronics and Communication degree is ACS and EA both and for Production/Plant engineer it is EA.
Now that is for you to decide. What assessment do you want? You can claim points for either qualification or for your work experience as your work experience is not relevant to your qualification.
I would suggest you apply either as a Tele-communications engineer or as an Electronics Engineer as a positive assessment will fetch you 15 points towards 189/190/489.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'm assuming by eltx you meant Electronics.

The assessing authority for Electronics and Communication degree is ACS and for Production/Plant engineer it is EA.

As both of them are different occupations (different Anzsco Codes) you would be able to claim points for either of these two.

Hi vj.. assessing authority for both; elctronics and production is EA.. i just checked in msa booklet.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Now can i get points for both.? Or for only one.??

·
Registered
23,931 Posts
Now can i get points for both.? Or for only one.??

You can claim points for only 1 assessment, whichever you feel,is better for you

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi vj..

Stop hijacking my post:mad:

·
Registered
942 Posts
You can claim points for only 1 assessment, whichever you feel,is better for you

Cheers

Ok i understand.. for assessment of educational qualification i also need to submit cdr.??
Because i made my cdr as per production/plant engineer..

·
Registered
157 Posts
And i have made carrier episode as per production field. Should i change/twist them to electronics.?? What about R&R .?

The tasks of Electronics Engineer as per the Anzsco Code 233411 are

->Designing electronic components, circuits and systems used for computer, communication and control systems, and other industrial applications
->Designing software, especially embedded software, to be used within such systems
->Developing apparatus and procedures to test electronic components, circuits and systems
->Supervising installation and commissioning of computer, communication and control systems, and ensuring proper control and protection methods
->Establishing and monitoring performance and safety standards and procedures for operation, modification, maintenance and repair of such systems
->Designing communications bearers based on wired, optical fibre and wireless communication media
->Analysing communications traffic and level of service, and determining the type of installation, location, layout and transmission medium for communication systems
->Designing and developing signal processing algorithms and implementing these through appropriate choice of hardware and software

Make your career episodes based on these tasks to get positive assessment as a "Electronics Engineer". And read the reply I posted for singal.anirudh1991. That'll make writing Career Episode much easier.

·
Registered
942 Posts
And what about the carrier episode i wrote as production/plant engineer..?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ok i understand.. for assessment of educational qualification i also need to submit cdr.??
Because i made my cdr as per production/plant engineer..

What do you want to claim points for?
Work experience or Qualification?
If qualification, write your CDR based on your qualification.
If work experience, write your CDR based on your work experience.

It doesn't make sense to do both as you can claim points for only one of these two

·
Registered
942 Posts
What do you want to claim points for?

Work experience or Qualification?

If qualification, write your CDR based on your qualification.

If work experience, write your CDR based on your work experience.

It doesn't make sense to do both as you can claim points for only one of these two

Can i include some of R&R of electronics engineer in my production experience and then make cdr as per my experience.. carrier episode i can make as per electronics.. then will they assess it as relevent??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts