Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
This is my maiden voyage so to speak as new on today.
Can any one give me some information on how the 457 visa application works?
My wife is being sponsored by The Alfred Hospital in Melbourne and we lodged our visa application last week after they sent he a job offer and a link with a reference number to their part of the sponsorship application. Questions are, what happens next? do immigration tell us where and when to go for medicals etc? How do we know if someone is dealing with our case at the other end?
Any info would be gratefully appreciated
Thanks
Stevie T

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Steve:

I've been through a 457, it still works the same as it did 6 yrs ago.

1. Primary applicant (your wife) gets sponsored by an AU company, they file a form to do this, DIAC assesses and if positive they send a letter back saying it's fine.
2. Your wife files a 457, they attach the letter given in (1)
3. You do your medicals and police checks as part of the DIAC 457 application process
4. Visa granted if All OK

As for your question, DiAC will tell you they need a health check and they may send you a link to the list of doctors, but if they don't send a link you can go to the DIAC website and search for 'panel doctors'. They are authorised to do health checks. In some countries your local doctor can do the health check (i.e. USA).

Police checks are also done differently in each country, so again off to the Immi website and search for 47P or penal clearance requirements.

Other than that it's basic forms where you fill out lots of your biographical information repeatedly. I think the e457 this has become easier, back when I did it I had to fill out the same thing over and over on different forms, finally ended up with a stack of paper 1.5 inches thick.

Hello everyone.
This is my maiden voyage so to speak as new on today.
Can any one give me some information on how the 457 visa application works?
My wife is being sponsored by The Alfred Hospital in Melbourne and we lodged our visa application last week after they sent he a job offer and a link with a reference number to their part of the sponsorship application. Questions are, what happens next? do immigration tell us where and when to go for medicals etc? How do we know if someone is dealing with our case at the other end?
Any info would be gratefully appreciated
Thanks
Stevie T

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Steve,

Hopefully someone will answer those questions for you. We used another visa so I'm not to sure how the 457 actually works. Have you checked out the DIAC website for that visa?

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

Dolly
Hello Dolly

Thank you for the response. We are heading out your way to Mornington if all goes well with Visa. My wifes sister is now living out there and we visited last year and loved the place, hence the new beginning

Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Steve:

I've been through a 457, it still works the same as it did 6 yrs ago.

1. Primary applicant (your wife) gets sponsored by an AU company, they file a form to do this, DIAC assesses and if positive they send a letter back saying it's fine.
2. Your wife files a 457, they attach the letter given in (1)
3. You do your medicals and police checks as part of the DIAC 457 application process
4. Visa granted if All OK

As for your question, DiAC will tell you they need a health check and they may send you a link to the list of doctors, but if they don't send a link you can go to the DIAC website and search for 'panel doctors'. They are authorised to do health checks. In some countries your local doctor can do the health check (i.e. USA).

Police checks are also done differently in each country, so again off to the Immi website and search for 47P or penal clearance requirements.

Other than that it's basic forms where you fill out lots of your biographical information repeatedly. I think the e457 this has become easier, back when I did it I had to fill out the same thing over and over on different forms, finally ended up with a stack of paper 1.5 inches thick.
Thank you Amaslam for the info.

Since I posted the question things have started to move. Immi have told us to go for medicals and sent for loads of information as you rightly say inyour response. The number of panel doctors has reduced this weekend but we have managed to book a medical with one that is only about 25 miles away for this Friday. Hopefully all will go well and that will be another hurdle out of the way

Cheers

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts