Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

i am married to a british citizen and i would like to apply for the naturalisation because i am afraid of Brexit :( my husband and i separated after 3 years of being married due domestic violence. I got my ILR on april of 2015 so i have more than a year on it. The thing recently i had to apply to benefits. I discover recently that my housemate has given me a fake contract which i used to claim the benefits and now the DWP is investigating me. I've accepted that i submitted the document but i've explained that i trusted my housemate and i didn't know he was changing the tenancy. The thing is that i haven't been accused of anything, and somehow the DWP is taking so long to tell me what's going on. So, i want to know if this may affect my naturalisation in a negative way? I spoke with the DWP and the guy told me that in the ten years he has been working there as a investigator, he has never received a call from the HO to ask about someone/ case. He said that if someone ask he wouldn't say i've committed anything as i am innocent until prove the opposite.
Should i mention this? Please, help urgently.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
How did your house mate change the Tenancy without your knowledge?
If you have claimed Housing Benefit then your name would be part of the Tenancy and you would have a responsibility to know the details and conditions within the document.

·
Registered
38,990 Posts
Not being under investigation but if you are prosecuted and found guilty, that can affect naturalisation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He gave me a contract of my room in the house on my name, but then i found out we have a joint tenancy agreement of the whole house, so in the contract he gave me there were not his name, and the amount was differently. He did it because he wanted people to believe that they could leave as soon he didn't like them, so he will get a different tenant, a sublet, and the person will move out without thinking that they are breaching the contract.
I phoned the DWP and asked them and they said that they r just investigating, that they wouldn't say i am guilty or prosecuted.
Should i mention this in my application? I am just afraid ill mess things up.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
A Joint-Tenancy requires the signature of both people.
If you believe you were duped into signing a Joint-tenancy you should seek Legal Advice as from what you state it is possible something illegal has occurred.

Does he Owner of the Property know what has happened?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's another topic. My question here if this will affect my naturalisation? If i should mention it? Since the DWp is investigating me.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The effect on your Naturisation application depends on the outcome of the DWP Investigation. If they prosecute you and their case is proved then it will effect the application.
You are wise to only mention once the Outcome of the Investigation is known. These Investigations can take some weeks to conclude.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh guys, noooo, i feel like nobody have read my post from the beginner. I want to send my naturalisation application within a week because i dont have a passport and i need one asap, THE MAIN NEED IS TO HAVE A PASSPORT, so i cant wait for the DWP because they dont even know how long they r gonna take and to be honest i think is just a wait to hold my money...
i cant keep waiting for the DWP. So my question is, if i send the application now that the DWP hasnt conclude anything or found anything, will be alright? should i mention it in my application? Thank you so much.

·
Registered
38,990 Posts
Home Office is known to conduct background checks on naturalisation applicants (not on everyone but occasionally), including DWP and other government office. So the fact that you are under investigation may come to light.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The initial question related to your fear of Brexit and the effect on your Naturisation. Now it seems you have No Passport when it was understood you had Venezuelean credentials.

An Officer at the DWP gave an opinion as have others here. Pressuring for answers from DWP or anyone may be counterproductive to what you want. You therefore should make a decision to submit the application now and take the risks already stated or be patient and wait for the outcome of the Investigation, and gather the required information in relation to your estranged husband.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats my exact question. I don't know if i should take the risk or not. I had even been told that the DWP do this just to hold your money, specially if u are a foreigner, and specially in this racist times of Brexit. But i am also afraid of wasting my money. So i dont now what to do since i really need a passport asap :(

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The DWP will have set guidelines to follow in any investigation otherwise a person could make a formal complaint. It is not known whether this investigation is only at the fact finding stage or has elevated to a deeper enquiry. If at the preliminary stage Investigators would have to have established reasonable cause to elevate. You are unlikely to be told until Investigators have completed enquiries which may involve other people. This is not the answer you want and really a decision to submit your application is for you and you only to make.
Possibly submitting an application will bring this too a head one way or the other and then at least you will know where you stand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But i also know i havent done anything wrong, i submitted that fake contract cause i trusted my housemate, but then he assaulted me in my bed and the police is now involved. I can prove with sms and emails that he gave me that contract so im not afraid of being persecutted. I am just afraid that since the DWP hasnt give me the opportunity yet to show this, i dont know where i stand and i am just waiting. The woman said that is not up to her cause she is waiting for evidence from other institutions, and i wonder why it takes so long. I thought that if the DWP calls ur bank to request bank statements, for example, they will reply to the enquire straight away because is the DWP and that is a powerful institution. Anyways, i think i can prove the bad character of my housemate for many things he've done to me, so im not afraid of that, but i am afraid of how just the fact of being investigate me makes me look and how HO sees it.
My mum is ill and i fear that if she get worst, i dont have a passport to travel with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.