Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stumbled on this in my news feed & put it on my Facebook page. I haven't posted a video commentary like this before, but I feel it was something that had to get more publicity. While watching it, all I could think of - in between laughing my butt off - is that "it's about time", finally!! I have wondered about the collective insanity of people seriously considering Trump for President since his first couple of appearances, insults & debates. No wonder the rest of the world must be wondering if we've lost our minds! At least Mexico already knew about Trump from personal experience of his financial failures there. Maybe Mexico ought to consider putting up a wall just to keep TRUMP out... just kidding (really)! Ex-Presidente Fox said it best for ALL sane Americans & Mexicans!! (No, I don't need to repeat it here...)

I remembered Trump's assertion a couple of years ago that his name was a "brand" (as discussed in the video), which means his product is more about superficial appearance instead of substance... the US doesn't need & shouldn't want a "brand name" for president. There is far too much for too many to lose by falling for this huckster & his soundbyte-laden product produced for "consumers" rather than for serious voters. He has had nothing to lose all along because he has only been "building his brand" like any other celebrity with a product to push. History is replete with the downfall of powerful countries & civilizations because of the leaders they chose, allowed or deserved - the US is not too big to be one of them!!

John Oliver did a great job of deconstructing & exposing Trump for what he really is - cheap, superficial & pandering. As a humorous thought & because of his obvious British accent, I wonder if Trump will call for his (Oliver's) deportation, too! If Trump somehow manages to get the nomination or to break & run in an independent campaign, he most definitely will NOT get MY vote!!! That would be my "zero hour" to make a run for Mexico to duck & hide from the fallout! Anyway, enjoy the video... :cool:

John Oliver shredded Donald Trump on Last Week Tonight (VIDEO).

·
Super Moderator
9,023 Posts
I just stumbled on this in my news feed & put it on my Facebook page. I haven't posted a video commentary like this before, but I feel it was something that had to get more publicity. While watching it, all I could think of - in between laughing my butt off - is that "it's about time", finally!! I have wondered about the collective insanity of people seriously considering Trump for President since his first couple of appearances, insults & debates. No wonder the rest of the world must be wondering if we've lost our minds! At least Mexico already knew about Trump from personal experience of his financial failures there. Maybe Mexico ought to consider putting up a wall just to keep TRUMP out... just kidding (really)! Ex-Presidente Fox said it best for ALL sane Americans & Mexicans!! (No, I don't need to repeat it here...)

I remembered Trump's assertion a couple of years ago that his name was a "brand" (as discussed in the video), which means his product is more about superficial appearance instead of substance... the US doesn't need & shouldn't want a "brand name" for president. There is far too much for too many to lose by falling for this huckster & his soundbyte-laden product produced for "consumers" rather than for serious voters. He has had nothing to lose all along because he has only been "building his brand" like any other celebrity with a product to push. History is replete with the downfall of powerful countries & civilizations because of the leaders they chose, allowed or deserved - the US is not too big to be one of them!!

John Oliver did a great job of deconstructing & exposing Trump for what he really is - cheap, superficial & pandering. As a humorous thought & because of his obvious British accent, I wonder if Trump will call for his (Oliver's) deportation, too! If Trump somehow manages to get the nomination or to break & run in an independent campaign, he most definitely will NOT get MY vote!!! That would be my "zero hour" to make a run for Mexico to duck & hide from the fallout! Anyway, enjoy the video... :cool:

John Oliver shredded Donald Trump on Last Week Tonight (VIDEO).
I just watched the video - absolutely fabulous, even more fabulous than DT's opinion of himself!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
All I can say, is that I do not agree with you. But of course, you are entitled to your opinion.
I know my opinion is not agreeable with everyone else's - it will be even less "popular" here in Oklahoma where the state is "blood-red Republican". Even though I usually vote conservatively along the lines of the Republican party, I still don't accept EVERYTHING it stands for... especially with regard to their stance on immigration. Neither party seems to be taking that issue seriously or compassionately for those affected. I wouldn't vote for Hillary, either - but I like Bernie Sander's vision more. However, with the political climate the way it is at present I don't see Bernie having a chance. This one is shaping up to be a nail-biter for sure... make your vote count!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
The "facts" can be highly subjective, depending on the target audience. It has a lot to do with the "intended recipient's" educational level, social-economic status, and a general vision of the catastrophic issues that the world is currently facing. The media form a powerful manipulation tool, after all.

For example, the following, simple question could be asked: Does opposing a welfare state make me a worse American ? And, the answer would be: I don't think so.

But of course, you can think otherwise. And that's what makes us great Americans.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That was for real? I thought it was a joke, as part of the commentary in the video!!
100% legit though most comments indicate that people are having trouble installing it.
I will now type in the Donald's name to see if it affects the outgoing as well as the incoming.
Donald Drumpf for emperor!
Yep, it seems to work in both directions.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,061 Posts
The "facts" can be highly subjective, depending on the target audience. It has a lot to do with the "intended recipient's" educational level, social-economic status, and a general vision of the catastrophic issues that the world is currently facing. The media form a powerful manipulation tool, after all.

For example, the following, simple question could be asked: Does opposing a welfare state make me a worse American ? And, the answer would be: I don't think so.

But of course, you can think otherwise. And that's what makes us great Americans.
The facts can indeed be highly subjective. And including the term "welfare state" also attempts to frame the conversation. Anyone who disagrees with you must be in favor of a "welfare state".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not necessarily. But the majority (OK, well, electoral votes) will ultimately decide who wins, and that's the most important aspect of democracy. You're free to vote for the candidate you wish, or not vote at all, as a matter of fact.

Whether you're on welfare or not, that's none of my business. Or, better said, I can't do much about it.

God bless.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Whether you're on welfare or not, that's none of my business. Or, better said, I can't do much about it.

Industialized nations can afford welfare for people who are marginalized economically for various reasons. Mexico doesn´t provide much welfare per US, Canada, UK etc. welfare systems and the result is petty crime here is uncontrolable because people need to eat or die. Mexico does allow things to happen that the other 3 places I mentioned do not allow where some people can eek out an existance. Welfare is good for security and affordable as a means to keep all citizens from living in fear of those people who would otherwise be desperate enough to prey on a much higher percentage of the population.

If Rush Limbaugh and Fox News, etc. don´t like it they can build houses and buildings with bars and steel roll down doors and walls around everything just like Mexicans do.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting comments from back & forth on here reference Donald Trump. Unless they've been living under a rock somewhere in Mexico, I don't understand how any US Expat living there has not seen or heard how he (Trump) is thought of by the Mexican people... rather, how he is resented & feared for how he has offended & threatened them. Surely you've been asked before now if he is for real and if the rest of America feels that way...? Don't tell me you haven't seen the piñatas of him in the tiendas on the streets there!

As far as "welfare" and healthcare, etc... there is a valid purpose for them if is used & controlled properly by those in positions of responsibility for administering such programs. My feeling about a universal healthcare system is "Why Not??"... our country is big enough and has enough resources - and intelligence (supposedly) - to design a good system & run it correctly. We should have the best universal healthcare system in the world! I just don't think it is fair or deserving for someone to have worked all their life to provide honorably for their family responsibilities only to lose everything because of a medical diagnosis. Want to nip some of those psychotic tragedies in the bud? A good system in place would have spotted those people in their youth & started treatment sooner before they went berserk. I'm not just talking about a system that treats just symptoms & diseases, but one that also emphasizes "preventive" medicine as well. There has to be a way that we could put together a fair & equitable system for everyone - medical professionals & patients alike. After all, the US is a nation of enlightenment & innovation, isn't / wasn't it? If it had a better system that was affordable, how many Expats (not all) would probably have never considered leaving for Mexico in the first place?

The US is an admirable country for many, many reasons... something I am proud to have spent the majority of my life serving & defending in the military. I will always love & appreciate what I've gotten from it, but I worry about where it is headed in the hands of our current political parties. Like most of you, I have kids and hope for grandkids, too. I also love Mexico and worry how it is / could be affected by US policies whose effects are felt there too. Haven't you heard the saying that "when the US coughs, Mexico catches pneumonia...?"

I'll shut up for now... I still want to hear more of your comments & discussions on these matters - especially as perceived from outside of the US. Cheers!! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm in the U.S. now, so I can't give you the latest perception as seen "from the outside". Interestingly enough though, most of the Mexicans I speak to/work with (on both sides of the border) are Trump supporters. I wonder if it has something to do with social status, level of educational attainment, etc.

No political solution is perfect. Therefore, I believe that continuing this argument is highly unnecessary. Thanks for voicing your opinions, you certainly have some interesting (and perhaps even valid) views.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Whenever I hear the word welfare, I think of my uncle and his constant complaining about people receiving benefits. He was always strangely quiet when I asked him about corporate welfare, a welfare handout that overwhelms the amount spent on food stamps.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No political solution is perfect. Therefore, I believe that continuing this argument is highly unnecessary.
Sometimes I wish that either party could completely enact their agenda without interference or watered down legislation from the other party. At least we could see, together, what works & what doesn't - then vote again accordingly until we get the best situation for everybody. The absolutists are the ones that can drive me crazy & "run the train off the tracks" sometimes. No, I didn't put this up as an argument, but to stimulate commentary & discussion. I disagree with you that it is useless to do so - I have learned many things over the years, sometimes changing my opinion(s) from such discussions. It's difficult to see issues from a different perspective if we don't listen to & discuss them. Sometimes I can still disagree, but nonetheless I appreciate a different way of thinking & understanding where it comes from when I hear it.

Thanks for voicing your opinions, you certainly have some interesting (and perhaps even valid) views.
Thank you again... I'll take that as a compliment; I feel the same way about others when I listen to well-thought out ideas, opinions or perspectives on the issues.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Disagreement on facts related to Trump is hard for me to fathom. He is absolutely the nastiest person to every run for the Presidency
It's a shame, too. I'm sure he has some redeeming qualities & abilities to have gotten where he is in life. However, much of the positive in him is hidden because of the nastiness with which he chooses to wage his campaign. If by a miracle he won the election, I cannot imagine him acting this way as the US representative with other nations & heads of state.

And yes, when you look at the facts behind his statements & history, it makes it even more difficult to fathom how he has gotten so far in this process.

·
Super Moderator
9,023 Posts
I'm in the U.S. now, so I can't give you the latest perception as seen "from the outside". Interestingly enough though, most of the Mexicans I speak to/work with (on both sides of the border) are Trump supporters. I wonder if it has something to do with social status, level of educational attainment, etc.
Any Mexicans I know here in Mexico City are very dismayed, to say the least, at the thought of Trump becoming president. My friends are middle-class, educated professionals. Are the pro-Trump Mexicans you speak to NOB (Mexicans or Mexican-Americans?) registered Republicans or Democrats?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Any Mexicans I know here in Mexico City are very dismayed, to say the least, at the thought of Trump becoming president.
This is my experience & observation in the Mexican & Latino community here in Tulsa, also. The fear & disgust with his campaign statements cut across all socioeconomic barriers of the hispanics here.

(edit)

Here's something else in the news from Mexico:

Mexico government response to Donald Trump - Business Insider

(There have been other articles today, but I liked this one best)

1 - 20 of 219 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.