Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

Apologies for these dumb questions but any help would be apreciated.

Myself, my fiancee and our 2 kids (3 years & 1 year) are thinking of leaving the UK and moving to Spain.

1. We run an internet business so can work from anywhere in the world really with an internet connection. Has Spain got better with broadband/phone access now (costal areas)?
What is the average broadband speed compared to the UK.

2. Can we register our business in Spain and pay tax/VAT in Spain rather than the UK? Are bank accounts easy enough to set up? We are currently a Limited company in the UK.

3. How are schools for our kids - are they Spanish speaking only?

4. We have around 15 computers and 30 external hard drives - is getting these over to Spain easy enough? IE: On a removal truck with our household items?

Thanks!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hi all

Myself, my fiancee and our 2 kids (3 years & 1 year) are thinking of leaving the UK and moving to Spain.

1. We run an internet business so can work from anywhere in the world really with an internet connection. Has Spain got better with broadband/phone access now (costal areas)?

2. Can we register our business in Spain and pay tax/VAT in Spain rather than the UK? Are bank accounts easy enough to set up? We are currently a Limited company in the UK.

4. We have around 15 computers and 30 external hard drives - is getting these over to Spain easy enough? IE: On a removal truck with our household items?

Thanks!
Three things:

1) Welcome:yo:

2) No such thing as dumb questions on here, if you want to know then ask away and if we can help then we will.

3)Regarding shcools, kids & computers ........ I have no idea:cool: but I'm sure someone will be along shortly that can give you some good advice.

Best of luck with whatever you decide:)

Doggy

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi all

Thanks!
Hiya, right, the questions. I dont know the full answers to all, but I'll have a go:

1. In my opinion, in the ocastal towns and most inland towns, broadband is as good as the UK, however an expert may tell you its slightly slower in Spain than the UK, but I nbelieve it runs here at around 3mb (dunno if that means owt to you LOL)

2. You wpould havce to tax and register your business in Spain if you are here and doing it for more than 183 days a year

3. Schools tend to come in either Spanish state schools where they are spanish speaking and spanish curriculum, most younger kids settle in quickly, pick up the language and flourish. There are also the international schools which you pay for and they are english curriculum and engish spoken

4. I would imagine that any removal company would be able to carry your computers over, provided they're packed correctly and they know what theyre carrying

Jo xxx

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Hi all

Thanks!
Hi Aurora and welcome!! :)

Your questions :

1) Internet connections (had to check with my OH on this one!!): Speed of broadband is dictated by technological availability and commercial interests, which is available both here and in the UK. So, if you live in an area of large population close to a digital distribution switch, you'll get 20mg ADSL at brilliant prices. If you live in less populated areas, you could go as low as 1mb ADSL for just under 30 euros a month, including national land line calls. If you live out in the sticks, you may be lucky and get ADSL rural cover as the Spanish government have an incentive of providing this, but that is 512kb and about 45 euros per month which is ridiculously expensive in today's market, but one has little choice when 100 people and two dogs are complaining about it.:rolleyes: Other than that, in the extreme cases, you will be left with the usual remote options, such as standard V90 modem, satellite ADSL and other slow and/or expensive options. So, if you get a chance, take a look at where you want to be in Spain, find someone's number locally (a bar perhaps), go to the Telefonica website and see what ADSL coverage is for that number. Do bear in mind that even 2 or 3 kms distance from that bar away from the telephony switch, could mean the bar has 3mb ADSL and you may only get 1mb ADSL.

2) The answer is yes for the Spanish and/or a Spanish Gestoria doing it for you, however, you really must do this properly through a Gestoria. There are issues for both the business and for setting up an account and you don't want any surprises when you realise the impact of being resident here, but providing a service outside of Spanish borders. Implications of monthly international business returns, quarterly VAT and a whole load of other scenarios dependant upon your business model and client base. The only thing I can add is that there are many banks here which have UK connections and although they consider themselves as separate entities (I know this personally from dealing with Lloyds UK and Lloyds Spain), you might get assistance from either the UK entities or the likes of banks like BBVA or Santander who have a presence in the UK also and might be able to assist with a Spanish account with them, for example - certainly assist you with the official line regarding a business account in Spain.

3) The schools - you have a choice. Spanish state schools, private schools, private international schools (following the English curriculum). As your children are so young, I would strongly suggest they enter into a Spanish state school (of course, depending on where you end up). But at that age, please be reassured that they would have no problem whatsoever in integrating and learning the language extremely quickly. Check out other threads on this forum regarding information on education. Do bear in mind that some areas of Spain have their own language as well as Castellano (Spanish). This would still not be a problem for your children at their age.

4) Moving computers and hard drives with household goods. This question needs a lot more information, as I'm sure you realise if you think about it. So, sling it in the back of the boot (military grade ruggerdised portables) or organise air bed transporters for your super computers and their hard drives.:juggle:

If normal desk tops and HDDs, bubble wrap and a treat with care sticker should do with a good removal company, but I would seriously consider making sure all your systems and data are fully backed up in an easily restorable fashion.

Tallulah.:)

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Welcome and as has been said, "The only dumb question is the one that you do NOT ask".

Like Xtreme we work with IT/telecom and we are both just about to move to "an area of large population close to a digital distribution switch" and "get 20mg ADSL at brilliant prices."
I think it will be Scandinavia or the Benelux countries!!No idea where it will be in Spain. Over here T1 is a bleach used to clean the drains! Joking apart, if you need serious speeds then you are going to have to be very careful where you live and probably go to a cable provider like Ono. Do NOT believe what people like Jazztel tell you about their speeds - if they are running off Telefónica and they say you can get 8MB max then Jazztel just CANNOT offer 20! (Despite the large print in their ads)

Telefónica is a national disgrace and a friend who is on Lofoten 1600 kms from the North Pole can get 12 MB whilst living in a town of 105,000 people I dream of 3 ..... but pay for 8! BUT I should be grateful as friends 2 kms down the road have been waiting 5 years even to get a landline. Of course, you could try Orange (France Telecom) who currently only offer 3MB as a MAX in Fuengirola. Yes, there are workarounds but you will pay for them!!

You'll have no problems transporting them if packed carefully but just don't hope too much of IT guys over here!

Taliban and Jojo have answered the other points for you.

Good luck in your investigations.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
if you need serious speeds then you are going to have to be very careful where you live and probably go to a cable provider like Ono.
I'm on "ono" and its crap!! It breaks down everytime it rains!! I lost a good deal on Ebay cos of it!!!! :(

Jo xxx

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Welcome and as has been said, "The only dumb question is the one that you do NOT ask".

Like Xtreme we work with IT/telecom and we are both just about to move to "an area of large population close to a digital distribution switch" and "get 20mg ADSL at brilliant prices."
I think it will be Scandinavia or the Benelux countries!!No idea where it will be in Spain. Over here T1 is a bleach used to clean the drains! Joking apart, if you need serious speeds then you are going to have to be very careful where you live and probably go to a cable provider like Ono. Do NOT believe what people like Jazztel tell you about their speeds - if they are running off Telefónica and they say you can get 8MB max then Jazztel just CANNOT offer 20! (Despite the large print in their ads)

Telefónica is a national disgrace and a friend who is on Lofoten 1600 kms from the North Pole can get 12 MB whilst living in a town of 105,000 people I dream of 3 ..... but pay for 8! BUT I should be grateful as friends 2 kms down the road have been waiting 5 years even to get a landline. Of course, you could try Orange (France Telecom) who currently only offer 3MB as a MAX in Fuengirola. Yes, there are workarounds but you will pay for them!!

You'll have no problems transporting them if packed carefully but just don't hope too much of IT guys over here!

Taliban and Jojo have answered the other points for you.

Good luck in your investigations.
Steve! Madrid is much further from the North Pole and they get far better than 12mb. There's a few more than 105,000 however!;) - What exactly is your point other than populations of over 100,000 tend to grab the attention of the telecos?

And what do you mean by "dont hope too much of IT guys over here"?? Does that include ComputaCenter's European HelpDesk in Barcelona?!?! Does that include the likes of the multi-nationals represented in Spain, such as Oracle and the like, or are we talking about Juan Kerr who works for Adecco wherever manpower is required??!?!!
:D:D:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! thanks so much for the detailed and fast replies :)

As fast broadband is a major issue for us, can you suggest any areas that definately have 10-20mb speeds?

Whilst location is nice, its pointless moving somewhere which has crappy speeds meaning we can't work.

Ideally the east coast would be nice and IT guys are not an issue.
On a side note, will there be any issues of running all of our gear (UK plugs) in Spain?

In the UK while you can get *upto* 20meg download speeds, i get 1mb upload speeds. How does Spain compare with upload speeds as i know different countries vary a lot in terms of upload/download speeds.

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Madrid - sure but at offices we are in in both Valencia and Barcelona we have been told that we should be grateful for 12MB ....unless we pay a fortune. The BIGGEST gripe of many I have with Telefónica is that their service is regionalised and there is no uniformity of service across the country. The three areas I know best Barcelona, Alicante and Málaga have hugely different levels of service.

No, I am not impressed with the average guy who works for a PyME or even supplies the PyMEs in Spain. Their techncial knowledge is NORMALLY hugely inferior to their North European counterparts. Don't even start me on a Friday evening about the thankless task of buying a Mac in Spain and the futility of asking any than a teeny percentage of the técnicos
Of course, they have quality IT personell but if I talk numbers and averages I'd defend the North Europeans I work/have worked with. Some of the TOP guys at Prosegur are TOP TOP division. More to the point I'm talking about the relative paucity of broadband subscribers, Spain's non-appearance in social media and it's late arrival in e-commerce.

Jojo, are you on Ono cable? I thought you had some sort of wireless/mesh system. Not that I am a fan of Ono cable but I know in cities like Elche/ALicante/Murcia that they genuinely are delivering higher speeds at lower prices. I'm amazed if Ono have cabled el **** del campo. Interesting!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Wow! thanks so much for the detailed and fast replies :)

As fast broadband is a major issue for us, can you suggest any areas that definately have 10-20mb speeds?

Whilst location is nice, its pointless moving somewhere which has crappy speeds meaning we can't work.

Ideally the east coast would be nice and IT guys are not an issue.
On a side note, will there be any issues of running all of our gear (UK plugs) in Spain?

In the UK while you can get *upto* 20meg download speeds, i get 1mb upload speeds. How does Spain compare with upload speeds as i know different countries vary a lot in terms of upload/download speeds.
AAAAGGGHH, you said "dumb questions" and you're going way over my dumb blond head!!!. So I'll let the experts discuss it all!!!! Welcome to the forum by the way and good luck with your decisions and choices

Jo xxx

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
On the coasts u could try in of the areas which host exchanges with the huge technology parks - Barceloneta, Málaga City etc

On Monday I can ask the guys at Orange and Vodafone for up to date coverage maps. It will be interesting to see the latest roll-out. It must be 12 months since I checked and I'd like to hope that there are more 8MB+ areas coloured in.

In the meantime anybody can test their actual speeds at Test de velocidad : Mide la velocidad de bajada y subida de tu conexin : Test ADSL , cable

Some comparisons at Comparativa ADSL y ofertas ADSL de proveedores : ADSL Zone : Portal y Foro sobre ADSL VDSL2 FTTH Imagenio

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Madrid - sure but at offices we are in in both Valencia and Barcelona we have been told that we should be grateful for 12MB ....unless we pay a fortune. The BIGGEST gripe of many I have with Telefónica is that their service is regionalised and there is no uniformity of service across the country. The three areas I know best Barcelona, Alicante and Málaga have hugely different levels of service.

No, I am not impressed with the average guy who works for a PyME or even supplies the PyMEs in Spain. Their techncial knowledge is NORMALLY hugely inferior to their North European counterparts. Don't even start me on a Friday evening about the thankless task of buying a Mac in Spain and the futility of asking any than a teeny percentage of the técnicos
Of course, they have quality IT personell but if I talk numbers and averages I'd defend the North Europeans I work/have worked with. Some of the TOP guys at Prosegur are TOP TOP division. More to the point I'm talking about the relative paucity of broadband subscribers, Spain's non-appearance in social media and it's late arrival in e-commerce.

Jojo, are you on Ono cable? I thought you had some sort of wireless/mesh system. Not that I am a fan of Ono cable but I know in cities like Elche/ALicante/Murcia that they genuinely are delivering higher speeds at lower prices. I'm amazed if Ono have cabled el **** del campo. Interesting!
Steve,

This is a subject which quite clearly will vary greatly depending upon individuals' experiences. However, one tiny point if I may, my OH was there, much to my annoyance - especially as I rarely saw him in those days of UK banking catch up, when Banco de Santander were pioneering internet home banking. So, regarding e-commerce, it's a large area, Spain's a big place and has very large players. As for PyMEs, I have no idea.;)

Tally.xx

Sorry to the OP...!:focus:

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Santander are/were RIGHT at the forefront. Prosegur lost one of their top guys to them. They were paying TOP dollar for the right guys. I am sure the banks (or at least the HQs!) are blessed with speeds that us poor mortals can only dream about.

The speed at my BdV in Rojales, Alicante is embarassing. I thought my domestic service was appaling but the bank's is truly dreadful - just depends on the exchange they are on, of course. Mind you when I first came to Spain we had RDSI. Anybody remember Telefónica's excuse for that?? It was like going back in time! Happy Days

·
Registered
109 Posts
Our house is up a mountain in a village in rural Andalucia and we can only have ADSL Rural here at colossal cost. We pay 29 euros a month for dial-up!

So do pick your location carefully!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Santander are/were RIGHT at the forefront. Prosegur lost one of their top guys to them. They were paying TOP dollar for the right guys. I am sure the banks (or at least the HQs!) are blessed with speeds that us poor mortals can only dream about.

The speed at my BdV in Rojales, Alicante is embarassing. I thought my domestic service was appaling but the bank's is truly dreadful - just depends on the exchange they are on, of course. Mind you when I first came to Spain we had RDSI. Anybody remember Telefónica's excuse for that?? It was like going back in time! Happy Days
What about internet by satelite dish? Is the communication good? Who are the suppliers?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi there and welcome,
2 points......we live in catalunya and English is mandatory in all state schools.
I am on telefonica...did a speed test this morning and download was 11.45 mbps and upload was 0.14.
hope this helps in some small way

·
Administrator
36,766 Posts
Hi there and welcome,
2 points......we live in catalunya and English is mandatory in all state schools.
I am on telefonica...did a speed test this morning and download was 11.45 mbps and upload was 0.14.
hope this helps in some small way
I'm on telefonica too

speed test

paying for 6mb I think

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Strav, I wondered whether it was x 10 but ........

As I was saying to Taliban last night - ABSOLUTE no uniformity/consistency........

A friend lives IN Torrevieja and 5 years later still can't even get a landline ...to complain about the speed of a dial-up!

Telfónica - a (almost) national disgrace or Telefónica a regional disgrace!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.