Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Looks about right to me.... Looks like 'fun'. Why put a child in a seat belt??? Am a good driver?? Nothing shall happen...

I dare say, it isnt just the locals who wont put their kids in seat belts.....

Kids are 3x more likely to die of car accidents here then any other country in the world. :( Is quite sad.

·
Registered
959 Posts
maybe they have too many kids... if something's happening, it's God's will, not the driver's thick head...

·
Registered
220 Posts
maybe they have too many kids... if something's happening, it's God's will, not the driver's thick head...
The thing that really, really gets me is that the driver is belted in (and probably the front seat passenger also) but not the kids. Surely if it's 'God's will' then they shouldn't have to bother or worry about belting up either.

Furthermore, it's almost as though the kids are encouraged to bounce about between the front seats, lie on the parcel shelf and pretty much do whatever it takes to distract the driver. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The thing that really, really gets me is that the driver is belted in (and probably the front seat passenger also) but not the kids. Surely if it's 'God's will' then they shouldn't have to bother or worry about belting up either.

Furthermore, it's almost as though the kids are encouraged to bounce about between the front seats, lie on the parcel shelf and pretty much do whatever it takes to distract the driver. Unbelievable.
The thing that really, really gets me, is that when I was a kid, there were no seat-belts in the back of the car, let alone any obligation to wear them. There were no baby car seat either, my mother would just put my crib on the passenger seat and drive slow. When I was 4 years old, we would drive 8 hours of highway to go skiing, and I would stand between the two front seats to look at the road until I fell asleep...

I'm not saying that it was good, and I certainly would never in a million years let my daughter do that today, but as much as I want to go and slam a door on those guys hands to teach them how painful a car can be even at lower speeds, maybe we should get off our high horses and do some more explaining ?

Just a thought...

·
Registered
959 Posts
The thing that really, really gets me, is that when I was a kid, there were no seat-belts in the back of the car, let alone any obligation to wear them. There were no baby car seat either, my mother would just put my crib on the passenger seat and drive slow. When I was 4 years old, we would drive 8 hours of highway to go skiing, and I would stand between the two front seats to look at the road until I fell asleep...

I'm not saying that it was good, and I certainly would never in a million years let my daughter do that today, but as much as I want to go and slam a door on those guys hands to teach them how painful a car can be even at lower speeds, maybe we should get off our high horses and do some more explaining ?

Just a thought...
that was 100 years ago, you were raised on a different planet, and life was altogether a far cry from the mad circus we witness every day here.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Just a thought...
I also recall there being no seat belts in the rear of cars and can remember when it was not law for a front-seat passenger to wear one. I also remember my brother and I being told in no uncertain terms to sit on our a**es in the back and not to muck about. I don't think we were even allowed to have the windows 'rolled' down.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I also recall there being no seat belts in the rear of cars and can remember when it was not law for a front-seat passenger to wear one. I also remember my brother and I being told in no uncertain terms to sit on our a**es in the back and not to muck about. I don't think we were even allowed to have the windows 'rolled' down.
Don't get me wrong, I also remember being in a car crash on the highway (well, technically, being pushed off of the highway and then rolling back on it, but who's checking), and all four of us in the car survived thank to seat-belts (and luck).

There isn't the slightest doubt in my mind that seat-belts are compulsory, that a car is deadly, even driving at 50, and that all safety norms nowadays should be followed to the T.

I'm just thinking that it might be more efficient to show a couple of gruesome videos of what happens to a body standing on the backseat thrown to the windshield on national TV and in schools (replacing the body by a watermelon) than keep saying "those idiots really have no respect for their kids life"

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm all for any approach that just might help get the message through but as long as there are people willing to put their family's fate entirely in the hands of some deity, I really don't hold out much hope.

This is much more than just about educating people. This is about changing their inherent beliefs.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I'm all for any approach that just might help get the message through but as long as there are people willing to put their family's fate entirely in the hands of some deity, I really don't hold out much hope.
^^^^ This

I've seen some of the ads on Arabic TV channels, so graphic they would never be allowed in the UK. If they're not working then nothing will.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
In India a lot of people I know are not even aware that you should not have young kids in the front seats. At least in the bigger cities the seat belts are compulsory, but in the smaller (well, with populations of 5 million or less) even the seat belt related rules are not enforced. (no wonder that India has more accidents and deaths in accidents than anywhere else in the world). Obviously when the same people come to Dubai they carry their old habits.
Also, in India you cannot really drive at speeds higher than 40-50 kmph in the cities because of the traffic. So if you travel a few inches behind the car in front of you, when the next cow/human/bicycle jumps in the path of the car ahead and it brakes, you can still just about stop the car. So the same Indians in Dubai travelling at 120 kmph behave the same way.

So why is India in the discussion here? Because we are 50-60% of the idiots on the road :D

And just to reiterate, driving slow is as bad as driving fast on the roads. So please please please don't drive at 95 in the leftmost lane on SZR and claim [a comment I read on gulfnews] that you are within the legal speed limit and well within your rights to be driving in that lane

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
In India a lot of people I know are not even aware that you should not have young kids in the front seats. At least in the bigger cities the seat belts are compulsory, but in the smaller (well, with populations of 5 million or less) even the seat belt related rules are not enforced. (no wonder that India has more accidents and deaths in accidents than anywhere else in the world). Obviously when the same people come to Dubai they carry their old habits.
Also, in India you cannot really drive at speeds higher than 40-50 kmph in the cities because of the traffic. So if you travel a few inches behind the car in front of you, when the next cow/human/bicycle jumps in the path of the car ahead and it brakes, you can still just about stop the car. So the same Indians in Dubai travelling at 120 kmph behave the same way.

So why is India in the discussion here? Because we are 50-60% of the idiots on the road :D

And just to reiterate, driving slow is as bad as driving fast on the roads. So please please please don't drive at 95 in the leftmost lane on SZR and claim [a comment I read on gulfnews] that you are within the legal speed limit and well within your rights to be driving in that lane
Shame on you for calling yourself an Indian and making fun of the rest of us by speaking the truth! :D

When my son was born and I refused to let anyone hold him in the car, instead put him in his infant seat, my family thought that I was a horrible mother because they could protect my baby much better than a seatbelt! I also got the standard comment, "Everyone else does it and their kids are fine! This is very dangerous!":eek:

Back in India though, we do have to thank the cows for controlling our speed limits. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I see unrestrained adults in cars in London everyday at work... no wonder their children grow up not recognising what a seatbelt is for!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I see unrestrained adults in cars in London everyday at work... no wonder their children grow up not recognising what a seatbelt is for!
There's too many unrestrained adults and children in London (and worldwide for that matter), full stop.

·
Registered
831 Posts
KHHK88 said:
Rubbish, it's very rare to see anyone without seatbelts in London. Pulled over and fined, now mobile phones that's another story

1 - 19 of 19 Posts