Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Wonder what Expo 2020 will eventually cost - after everything is said and done.

Also wonder how they'll make expats pay for it all :)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
The Expo won;t cost very much overall because its a small part part of the new airport development - the roads and infrastructure will be reused for the airport perimeter and it will only be a small corner of the new airport area. The buildings form part of the industrial/freight area of the airport I think so no significant white elephants.

The metro has to go to the new airport so thats not wasted.

And all the hotels they have to build - these will be needed simply through the organic growth that Dubai has to go through to 2020.

Hard to put a percentage on things but I would guess that 90%+ of the cost will be used again fully and only the pavilions will be scrapped.

The attached photo is of a corner of the space model for the new Al Maktoum airport from last year. In the very top right corner of the picture is where the Expo pavilions will be and they will be redeveloped and re-used. To put it into scale the airport terminals are 2.5km long - each.

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
The Expo won;t cost very much overall because its a small part part of the new airport development - the roads and infrastructure will be reused for the airport perimeter and it will only be a small corner of the new airport area. The buildings form part of the industrial/freight area of the airport I think so no significant white elephants.

The metro has to go to the new airport so thats not wasted.

And all the hotels they have to build - these will be needed simply through the organic growth that Dubai has to go through to 2020.

Hard to put a percentage on things but I would guess that 90%+ of the cost will be used again fully and only the pavilions will be scrapped.

The attached photo is of a corner of the space model for the new Al Maktoum airport from last year. In the very top right corner of the picture is where the Expo pavilions will be and they will be redeveloped and re-used. To put it into scale the airport terminals are 2.5km long - each.
Sounds like a pretty good plan. Hope it all works out as planned.

·
Registered
60 Posts
"Still, in the fantasy playground of the United Arab Emirates, where impossible dreams are daily conjured from the desert at untold human and environmental costs, perhaps the world expo movement has finally found its spiritual home. For the good of other cities around the world, may it be its final resting place"

Ouch!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts