Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Pakistani citizen. I just arrived in UAE from the US. I hold a US driver's license for the past 15 years, clean record.

How do I go about obtaining a Dubai Driver's license? More specifically, can I just transfer my US license? And where can I go do this? I tried looking for this info on Dubai government websites, but its hard to find stuff over there.

Much Appreciated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You can only transfer a license if you have a U.S passport as well. Only having a license does not qualify you to get a license without going through the normal process of taking classes and passing the test.

·
Registered
275 Posts
dune said:
I am a Pakistani citizen. I just arrived in UAE from the US. I hold a US driver's license for the past 15 years, clean record.

How do I go about obtaining a Dubai Driver's license? More specifically, can I just transfer my US license? And where can I go do this? I tried looking for this info on Dubai government websites, but its hard to find stuff over there.

Much Appreciated.
What passport do you hold?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a Pakistani Passport. US Social Security. US Maryland License for the past 12 years. US Work Authorization. I've been working in the US for the past 12 years, I just came here for a few years.

I've heard its still possible to get this transferred to a UAE license without any of those money hoarding classes and tests. Because it simply doesn't make any sense what Passport you hold. What should matter is what Driver's license you hold.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I got a Pakistani Passport. US Social Security. US Maryland License for the past 12 years. US Work Authorization. I've been working in the US for the past 12 years, I just came here for a few years.

I've heard its still possible to get this transferred to a UAE license without any of those money hoarding classes and tests. Because it simply doesn't make any sense what Passport you hold. What should matter is what Driver's license you hold.
US license is only valid for transfer if you hold a US passport - if you have a pakistani passport then you have to do the classes and resit the tests. The same happened to my Indian colleague when he moved here from the US.

Of course it doesn't make sense, but that is the way it is unfortunately!

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Sometimes some people, have gotten away with transferring a western dl for a uae one. It depends on what kind of mood the person sitting in the chair is in, how white/light skin you are, and if not white... how attractive or how much money it looks like you have.

Reactions: A.Abbass

·
Registered
275 Posts
dune said:

I completely agree, it doesn't make sense but unfortunately that is how it is :( I would give it a go first, you might be lucky and get someone who is in a good mood! Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience that its possible to skip the driving classes..you should be able to convince them to let you do a "direct test" with the US license. But you still have to sit through the 8 hrs of classroom theory!! I argued like you about unfairness but get used to it...

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
As mentioned above, you can skip the classes and directly take the test. BUT you might still have to pay for the classes

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you Rsinner and Teuchter!

Sounds like I'll have to have a bit of a word with the manager then. I've not lived in the Netherlands for over 10 years and will not be able to get a drivers license from there easily. I have even got an international drivers permit to go with my UK license for what it's worth...

Is there anyone else here who has been in a similar situation (ie got drivers licence and passport from different countries but both from 'transferable' countries)? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Actually, now that I have read the link given by Teuchter, I cannot find a requirement asking for DL and passport needing to be from the same country?

It says: "You have to be a citizen of the country given below with current resident status in UAE." Which I am.

"This means that former residents from these countries who may be holding permanent driver licenses are not eligible and you will have to follow all the steps to get a new license as given here." This is not clear to me. Both UK and NL are in the list so it should not be a problem?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Actually, now that I have read the link given by Teuchter, I cannot find a requirement asking for DL and passport needing to be from the same country?

It says: "You have to be a citizen of the country given below with current resident status in UAE." Which I am.

"This means that former residents from these countries who may be holding permanent driver licenses are not eligible and you will have to follow all the steps to get a new license as given here." This is not clear to me. Both UK and NL are in the list so it should not be a problem?
'Residents' in this context means non-citizen of that particular country...

teuchter

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
It doesnt make sense unfortunately but that is the way it is.

According to the rules, an American citizen who has a 2 year old license and has caused 2-3 accidents can transfer his license automatically, but a Polish/German citizen who has an American license for 8 years and has never been in an accident still has to take a test....

Just as with loans/insurance matters; driving/borrowing history is not looked at, and all that matters is "passport" and salary certificate.

Thats just the way it is... :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've not lived in the Netherlands for over 10 years and will not be able to get a drivers license from there easily. I have even got an international drivers permit to go with my UK license for what it's worth..
You could do the conversion to a Dutch licence on your next trip to NL; costs EUR 40 at your local council office (stadsdeelkantoor).

The IDP makes no difference unfortunately.

teuchter

·
Registered
56 Posts
You could do the conversion to a Dutch licence on your next trip to NL; costs EUR 40 at your local council office (stadsdeelkantoor).

The IDP makes no difference unfortunately.

teuchter
Thank you for the suggestion! Would that be any local council office? I am no longer registered there.

I've just read I need to be registered to be able to exchange it so that's no option. Bummer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not sure. You might find the answer here: Rijbewijs.nl :: home or you could check with the Dutch consulate here in Dubai: Netherlands Missions, United Arab Emirates

teuchter
Thanks again but I should have been registered. Frustratingly enough I only unregistered a couple of months ago but that's life!
Kan ik mijn buitenlandse rijbewijs omwisselen voor een Nederlands rijbewijs? | Vraag en antwoord | Rijksoverheid.nl

Sounds like I can only try have a word with the manager at the dubai licensing authority ;) :boxing:

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
494 Posts
1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.