Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What area/district is the best for living for someone without a car (my man would have a car, I wouldn't), so with good public transport, some nice walking paths (like along a beach for example), with some shops nearby?
Any info appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
What area/district is the best for living for someone without a car (my man would have a car, I wouldn't), so with good public transport, some nice walking paths (like along a beach for example), with some shops nearby?
Any info appreciated :)
Where does he work? I like the Marina and JLT areas, it offers what you need but might be a long way from employment.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where does he work? I like the Marina and JLT areas, it offers what you need but might be a long way from employment.
So far, he doesn't work ;) but his future office is in/near Marina. So Marina is definity ok, but it is expensive.
I was wondering whether there are some other nice districts with a good access to Marina and nice neighbourhood for me.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
What is your budget for housing?

Anything near a metro station is going to be more expensive, although there are cheaper areas. If money is of a concern, look into Al Barsha. Two metro stops, a major mall, walkable urban area, yet only 10 minutes by metro from the Marina, where you can walk to the beach or take the tram to the nearest stop for the beach.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is your budget for housing?

Anything near a metro station is going to be more expensive, although there are cheaper areas. If money is of a concern, look into Al Barsha. Two metro stops, a major mall, walkable urban area, yet only 10 minutes by metro from the Marina, where you can walk to the beach or take the tram to the nearest stop for the beach.
So far, our budget is too low, 60-70k annually, and I see nice 1 bedroom flats in Marina for 80-90k, so more than our budget.
For me, 10 minutes by metro is definitely ok, so I will have a look.
Are there any other good property sites apart from dubizzle or propertyfinder?

Is it possible to find better deals when one is already in Dubai and talks to estate agents in person?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You should be able to find something in Dubai Marina for 60-70k. These will be the Marina Diamonds and very simple apartments. But you are in the Marina.

As long as you're not expecting a lot of fancy amenities you will find a 1-bedroom apartment in your price range somewhere along the metro line. Barsha, TECOM, JLT and Marina. Be aware that JLT is district cooling, which can add as much as another 1,000 a month in your air conditioning bills, while Marina and Barsha and TECOM have free air conditioning included in your rent.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, my budget has increased :)

So I have a question. Which towers in Marina are good? I've read somewhere that some towers are better, some are worse, but how to tell which is which? Any ideas how to find a good one?
Any help appreciated!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
OK, my budget has increased :)

So I have a question. Which towers in Marina are good? I've read somewhere that some towers are better, some are worse, but how to tell which is which? Any ideas how to find a good one?
Any help appreciated!
It’s easy ...... go and view as many as you can, you will then get a feel for them. :)

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
if you search the forum (search button at the top) or in google using: <search term> site:Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai - Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad you will be able to see a few threads that have discussed the various Marina buildings. There are many buildings with new ones coming up all the time, so it will be very difficult for people to give you an exhaustive overview (simply put, most of us do not know). You can also use the website flatreviews - but very limited reviews. But if the rent is too low or too high compared to the market then there must be something wrong (or something very right) about the building. Also the proximity to the metro, and the view of course affects the rent.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
if you search the forum (search button at the top) or in google using: <search term> site:Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai - Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad you will be able to see a few threads that have discussed the various Marina buildings. There are many buildings with new ones coming up all the time, so it will be very difficult for people to give you an exhaustive overview (simply put, most of us do not know). You can also use the website flatreviews - but very limited reviews. But if the rent is too low or too high compared to the market then there must be something wrong (or something very right) about the building. Also the proximity to the metro, and the view of course affects the rent.
I see there are bargains in the Torch right now!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It’s easy ...... go and view as many as you can, you will then get a feel for them. :)
I've been looking at ads for some time and my head is full ;)
Most of them look OK, but I'm wondering whether there are any hidden problems, and what I should pay special attention to.

Thanks!
If you say that some of these towers have been discussed, I will definitely try to search for them.
And I completely understand that most of you might not know, but I thought it's worth asking the question :)

Yes, the view is important to me :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yes, the view is important to me :)
You pay for the view here. What is your budget now? Wasn't it 60-70k before? With that budget you might be able to get an apartment in one of the least desirable buildings with no view to speak of.

It sounds like location and easy access to the metro should be your top priority. Why are you so set on Marina? Wouldn't it be better to start with something more affordable first and see how it goes for a year? It's not ideal to spend too much money on rent and living on a very tight budget.
A more affordable location but still close enough to Marina would be for example Al Barsha or Barsha Heights (Tecom).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You pay for the view here. What is your budget now? Wasn't it 60-70k before? With that budget you might be able to get an apartment in one of the least desirable buildings with no view to speak of.

It sounds like location and easy access to the metro should be your top priority. Why are you so set on Marina? Wouldn't it be better to start with something more affordable first and see how it goes for a year? It's not ideal to spend too much money on rent and living on a very tight budget.
A more affordable location but still close enough to Marina would be for example Al Barsha or Barsha Heights (Tecom).
My budget is around 100k now (housing allowance is still a bit more, but a difference is our savings).

Yes, I know I'm set on Marina ;) I love the views there, the walkable area (I won't be driving a car), I'd love to live in a flat with a sea/water view, and I'd love to have a possibility to just go outside and go for a walk (yes, I know, summer temperatures are horrible for walking ;) )
And Marina is close to my husband's office, so he also likes this location.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You have to remember that all the towers are built badly. What may look shiny now may not look that good in a few years. I would personally go for the newer towers and not on a ridiculously high floor ( To many fire alarms and fires here and walking down 40 flights of stairs is not ideal)
The Marina is busy, traffic can very awfuland very noisy, i moved from there as wanted peace and quiet however some love it. Go and look around them and look at walls/under the sink in Kitchen/bathroom ( Cracked walls and leaks are common here) ask when the A/C and water heaters were last serviced/ replaced ( I am that sad i even asked for proof of this) as when major things go wrong dont always rely on your LL to replace them. Visit during rush hour so you can an idea of noise/traffic and i would knock on neighbours doors and ask what the building is like. Its always good to get a feel of a building as once you handover those cheques you are there for a year and finally avoid district cooling if you can as the bills can be an additional expense

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have to remember that all the towers are built badly. What may look shiny now may not look that good in a few years. I would personally go for the newer towers and not on a ridiculously high floor ( To many fire alarms and fires here and walking down 40 flights of stairs is not ideal)
The Marina is busy, traffic can very awfuland very noisy, i moved from there as wanted peace and quiet however some love it. Go and look around them and look at walls/under the sink in Kitchen/bathroom ( Cracked walls and leaks are common here) ask when the A/C and water heaters were last serviced/ replaced ( I am that sad i even asked for proof of this) as when major things go wrong dont always rely on your LL to replace them. Visit during rush hour so you can an idea of noise/traffic and i would knock on neighbours doors and ask what the building is like. Its always good to get a feel of a building as once you handover those cheques you are there for a year and finally avoid district cooling if you can as the bills can be an additional expense
Thank you for so much info!
Up to which floor would it be ok? And how often are these fire alarms?
Is it common to visit neighbours? I haven't thought of that.

I've thought that we may first look for some short-term rent (like six months), and then decide for long-term. I've seen there are quite a decent amount of short-term appartments available.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thank you for so much info!
Up to which floor would it be ok? And how often are these fire alarms?
Is it common to visit neighbours? I haven't thought of that.

I've thought that we may first look for some short-term rent (like six months), and then decide for long-term. I've seen there are quite a decent amount of short-term appartments available.
I have never been above floor 5 but personally speaking i wouldnt go above 10 haha. The fire alarms go off at least once a week in our building however that is usually due to cooking! Look at the Gloria Hotel short term let apartments. One side is sea facing it is right next the metro and may be decent for short stay
If you chose the marina then look at JBR although the traffic on the walk can be noisy when all the showboaters zoom down their in their supercars.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Once a week is often ;)

And any info on Jumeirah Lake Towers? Lake view would be enough for me, and they seems to be a bit cheaper than Marina.

I'll have a look at this hotel!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Once a week is often ;)

And any info on Jumeirah Lake Towers? Lake view would be enough for me, and they seems to be a bit cheaper than Marina.

I'll have a look at this hotel!
Jumeirah Lake Towers (JLT) is a bit cheaper than the Marina but you have to pay for the air conditioning, and it can be expensive. Marina apartments tend to have the air conditioning included in the rent, so at the end of the day JLT apartments aren't necessarily that much cheaper. Apartment quality varies tremendously.

Rents are dropping in Dubai so with a budget of 100k you will certainly get a pleasant apartment. But I'd also try to be as frugal as possible within reason, especially in your first year. Try to set a budget of 80k.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jumeirah Lake Towers (JLT) is a bit cheaper than the Marina but you have to pay for the air conditioning, and it can be expensive. Marina apartments tend to have the air conditioning included in the rent, so at the end of the day JLT apartments aren't necessarily that much cheaper. Apartment quality varies tremendously.

Rents are dropping in Dubai so with a budget of 100k you will certainly get a pleasant apartment. But I'd also try to be as frugal as possible within reason, especially in your first year. Try to set a budget of 80k.
I was thinking around 80-90k for rent plus all these fees/deposits/media - 100k.

And as my husband will have a serviced apartment from his company (free for the first 4 weeks, then paid, but no idea how much yet), I was thinking we will stay there for a bit, and then find sth more permanent. Or find sth for a few months, and then for one year.

JLT seems to be a bit quieter than Marina, but still full of life, so I think it might suit us better.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I lived in the Torch Tower, before the first fire there was alarms quite often, maybe two a week that everyone ignored. During the first fire I had to walk down 63 flights of stairs and couldn't walk properly for a week but after that fire the alarms were far more rare. I was lucky enough to be out during the second fire but unlucky enough to be effected so recently moved to another location. I looked at several properties that were fairly new but they were just not that impressive, I settled on a brand new building for 150k, I don't think 80-90 will get you much in the Marina.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts