Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I have a question if someone living in UK and holding dual citizenship ( British and Portuguese) and want bring non EU member ( wife or parents ).

What is the best way sponsor them bring them here in UK. Can I bring them here as Portuguese national ?

Please advice in detail.

Many thanks,
MS

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you nyclon for your quick reply, this is just question. I am a Portuguese national as well and i was looking on this forum and people are saying that it is easy the bring wife or parents as EU national.

Please guide.

Thanks,
MS

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Thank you nyclon for your quick reply, this is just question. I am a Portuguese national as well and i was looking on this forum and people are saying that it is easy the bring wife or parents as EU national.

Please guide.

Thanks,
MS
Your British citizenship supersedes your Portuguese one. You need to comply with British immigration rules.

·
Registered
39,060 Posts
You used to be able to use your other EU nationality to bring a family member to UK, but since the McCarthy judgment of 2011 (C-434/09 Shirley McCarthy v Secretary of State for the Home Department), UK has changed its rules in The Immigration (European Economic Area) (Amendment) Regulations 2012 to stop dual British nationals bringing family member under EU rules.
The only thing you can do is to try the Surinder Singh route. You need to live with your family member in an EEA country other than UK and Portugal, you get a job and move the centre of your life there, then your family member can apply for EEA family permit under Surinder Singh, and when granted, can enter UK with you. As Home office is clamping down on SS, expect your application to be scrutinised with a high chance of refusal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.