Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Would I have to give up my USA passport if we move to France? I have a dutch passport as well, and plan to use that one to live in France. But to proof that I lived in USA for over 1 year (in order to not have to pay custom taxes on my household items being shipped to France) I think I need to show my USA passport. Will they take away my USA passport right after that?

Thanks
Timo

·
Registered
373 Posts
Timo, I can't imagine any reason that a French governmental authority would want to take away your US passport: you are a citizen of the US, and that doesn't change because you decide to move to France. Even though you're relying on your EU (Dutch) citizenship to enable you to live there, you have every right to maintain your US citizenship - and your passport.

And there are folks on this Forum who are far more knowledgeable about these things than I, but I believe that what you must show is that the goods you are shipping to France are over 6 months old (or is it a year?), not that you have been resident in the US for that length of time prior to shipping them. The idea, I believe, is to keep people from buying lots of new goods just prior to their relocation and avoiding taxation on them.

But, as I said, I'm sure you'll get more authoritative information from others on that point.

Good luck with your move!

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Hello,

Would I have to give up my USA passport if we move to France? I have a dutch passport as well, and plan to use that one to live in France. But to proof that I lived in USA for over 1 year (in order to not have to pay custom taxes on my household items being shipped to France) I think I need to show my USA passport. Will they take away my USA passport right after that?

Thanks
Timo
Timo, the only people who can revoke your US passport/citizenship are the US Government and then you'd have to do something pretty drastic - swearing allegiance to a foreign power etc. You're a EU citizen as well as US and although there is no such thing (legally) as dual citizenship neither goverment can do anything about it. US can't affect your Dutch citizenship and Holland (or France) cannot affect your US citizenship. I've held US & UK passports for over 15 years, no problems.

Your household goods will not be subject to duty or VAT unless they are less than 6 months old BUT you have to retain them in France for at least one year. If there is anything that appears relatively new, make sure you have proof of purchase.

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.