Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, hoping someone can help me!

I'm a UK national, with Australian citizenship - which I got a few years ago when I lived in Australia. I have subsequently moved back to the UK. I am going back to Aus for the first time in a few weeks for a holiday. Do I need to get an Australian passport to get in the country, or will my UK passport and my citizenship certificate suffice? Obviously i know its best to have a passport, but I've left it really late, and its quite expensive, so thought I'd check other experience!

The embassy website (extract below) clearly shows a preference for Aus passports, but perhaps not conclusive.... I can surely prove i'm a citizen with my certificate?

Thanks!

Q9 - I have an Australian passport and a British passport; which passport do I use when entering Australia?
To avoid delays at airline check-in and again at the border entry point, Australian citizens who are dual nationals are required to depart and enter Australia on their Australian passport. An Australian citizen cannot be granted a visa for Australia in a foreign passport.
When entering Australia, all Australians, including those who hold dual nationality, must be able to prove that they are an Australian citizen. An Australian passport is conclusive evidence of a person's identity and citizenship, and provides the holder with unfettered right of entry to Australia.
International airlines have an obligation to ensure that they only carry appropriately documented passengers to Australia. In the absence of an Australian passport, airlines are unable to assess a person's claim to Australian citizenship at the time of check-in and may decline to carry the traveller.

·
Registered
350 Posts
As far as I know, this wouldn't be a problem, but you would have to enter the country as a British citizen, and then inside Australia you can renew your passport.

G

·
An Australian Citizen must enter Australia on an Australian passport.

Reason = Everyone needs a visa to enter Australia and you as an Australian cant be granted one. Its nothing to do with preference, no visa = no entry unless you have an Australian passport. The airlines wouldnt even let you board in the UK given they fear a $10,000 fine if they carry an illegal to Australia.

Oh and Aussie passports can be granted in a day. Few hours in fact it took my hubby to get his at Australia House.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts