Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I'm only a day away from getting access to the portal to complete the DS 260 to emigrate from OZ to US.

I've read a LOT about this and some conflicting advice. Do I just leave entries blank if they don't apply to me (assuming they're not mandatory when of course I'd make an entry) or must I place something in every single line.

For example, they ask "Do you have any children" (as in one or more and up to (I think 5)) .... I don't have any ....so do I just tick no in the box to that question and leave every subsequent line regarding children empty or should I type "not applicable" against everything. I just want to get this right.

Please help me if you can :)

Mike

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Don't sweat it, it's not a test. You can always save what you've done do far and come back to it. You have a chance to review before final submission.

With the example you gave, if you say zero children, there won't be any more children questions.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know :) ... and yes, I'm all too aware to save as you go along and I have all my prepared answers ready for entry thanks to a great PDF form I found online. Immi just wants SOOO much stuff :)

Again, thank you

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Take your time! You are almost there. Use common sense. Whenever in doubt use n/a not applicable but be consistent.
I proof read from bottom to top to keep from speed reading.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks twostep :)

Fortunately, I have every answer ready for every question going by exemplars and other 260 forms I've been reading (it seems) for an eternity. There won't be any doubts with all the digging I've done :)

Appreciate it :)

Mike

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I just go access to the portal to complete the DS 260 ....

If I learnt anything it is this . It is a LONG process even if you do happen to have the info at hand.

ALWAYS intermittently save the pages even if they're incomplete and then come back to it. Took me 2 hours with no break so it is far from easy.

Also beware if your beneficiary happens to be living with you (as mine is in Australia - US wife) watch the phone number field as they assume it must be a US number

It is not a great departure from the pdfs I've seen online but it is NOT the same.

Take your time

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the lighter side - it is great hands on trainng for on-line job applications:)
Well put Twostep :) Pity I'm retired :) Appreciate all your help along with the other great people (BBC / Crawford and others) have given me. Won't soon forget it

Cheers guys

Mike

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Well put Twostep :) Pity I'm retired :) Appreciate all your help along with the other great people (BBC / Crawford and others) have given me. Won't soon forget it

Cheers guys

Mike
As long as you keep your sense of humor it will all be fine in the long run. Where will you be heading once you are through the maze of USCIS?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As long as you keep your sense of humor it will all be fine in the long run. Where will you be heading once you are through the maze of USCIS?
:)

Seattle ... where my wife comes from. Well, sorta south of there a bit and among the spruces and pines. Already found the house and paid a holding fee. CANNOT wait to get there, put the feet up and enjoy a decent even climate despite the fact it is colder than here.

Mike

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
:)

Seattle ... where my wife comes from. Well, sorta south of there a bit and among the spruces and pines. Already found the house and paid a holding fee. CANNOT wait to get there, put the feet up and enjoy a decent even climate despite the fact it is colder than here.

Mike
Pretty country up there. We lived in Tacoma. Remember - you can recognize natives by the moss between their toes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pretty country up there. We lived in Tacoma. Remember - you can recognize natives by the moss between their toes.
We're NW of Tacoma (as my sweet wife just told me) on the peninsula (Hood Canal)

The ONLY thing I'll miss is our bacon (your rough equivalent is Canadian bacon) and the 1 minute drive to the shops ... we have a 12 mile drive to Shelton. Meh ... worth it. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts