Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to do the French driving test. I have a US license but not one of those for the exchange program. I am not living here full time as I am trying to figure out if I can make it here. So I am staying with a friend when I am in France. I bought a car when he wrote a letter saying I was staying rent free with him. I have an Irish passport so I don't need a carte de sejour.

My question is whether I need to be an official resident to apply to take the test. And what sort of documentation do I need to sit for the test. I assume I need my NJ license translated but do I need US records? Do I need forms? I am trying to avoid going to the prefecture and waiting to ask all these questions so I thought I would turn to this forum.

I am not sure if I will use an auto ecole but that is not my question.

Thanks a lot

·
Administrator
50,417 Posts
If you are not living in France full time, where are you officially resident? The US or Ireland?

If you're "just visiting" you can drive on your US license, as long as you aren't actually resident in France. If you're resident in France you have a year to do the tests. It's possible to take the exams (written and driving) as an independent, though it can take quite some time depending on what departement you live in. (There is a shortage of driving examiners and their schedules are seriously backed up.)

This is the page from Service Public that describes the process for doing your license as a "candidat libre": Permis de conduire en candidat libre - Service-public.fr
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am US resident. But I bought a car in Jan and I was told I have 1 year to change the license now that I am the owner. I know I won't make that deadline.

thanks for the link. I'll have a look

cheers
dana

·
Registered
737 Posts
forget it ; presumably you have registered the car at your friends house , you are not resident here ; so you are technically a visitor and can drive on your US licence

plenty of people who are not resident here keep a car here for when they visit

·
Registered
85 Posts
forget it ; presumably you have registered the car at your friends house , you are not resident here ; so you are technically a visitor and can drive on your US licence

plenty of people who are not resident here keep a car here for when they visit

Hi,
You might want to verify with your insurance that they indeed cover you in your situation. You may have to read the fine print of your policy to be sure. It's not unheard of for insurance companies to collect your payments for years, then if you ever have a problem, they look for a reason to not cover you. I suppose you had to provide your US DL to the insurance to get a policy?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I need to do the French driving test. I have a US license but not one of those for the exchange program. I am not living here full time as I am trying to figure out if I can make it here. So I am staying with a friend when I am in France. I bought a car when he wrote a letter saying I was staying rent free with him. I have an Irish passport so I don't need a carte de sejour.

My question is whether I need to be an official resident to apply to take the test. And what sort of documentation do I need to sit for the test. I assume I need my NJ license translated but do I need US records? Do I need forms? I am trying to avoid going to the prefecture and waiting to ask all these questions so I thought I would turn to this forum.

I am not sure if I will use an auto ecole but that is not my question.

Thanks a lot
You need to be French resident to take the test. You will need your US license translated. Check the site for other docs needed, but one will certainly be the 'justificatif de domicile'. I suppose in your situation, if you apply for the test, you will be considered a french resident if you can provide the docs that are required. Check the site.

I wouldn't recommend doing it as candidat libre, at least not in Paris. It will probably take longer and cost the same, so no advantage. I did the code as candidat libre and it was a very long wait to get an appointment. T

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. As I move forward with registering at the auto école they say I need an avis d'impôt even if I don't work and don't pay tax here. Something that says I am not clandestine. But the tax office only gave me my friend's (the one I stay with when I am here) avis d'impôt and did not ask anything of me. So the school is calling them on Monday since nobody was picking up the phone on Friday! I told the school I was not a resident but maybe, as you say, that is a requirement. I guess I will find out on Monday. I do want the French license as I will eventually set up here in a year probably and have all the time in the world to study now. But I am sure it is not that simple.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.