Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in some older forum that the driving license obtained in home country is valid for 3 months after visa grant in Australia.

• Will I be free to drive un-moderated (without supervision)?
  • Does the license have to be of some international standard or my country's will be fine?
  • Is the provision still valid? Does it apply to all countries or only specific ones?

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
I read in some older forum that the driving license obtained in home country is valid for 3 months after visa grant in Australia.

• Will I be free to drive un-moderated (without supervision)?
  • Does the license have to be of some international standard or my country's will be fine?
  • Is the provision still valid? Does it apply to all countries or only specific ones?
It depends on the State.

If your license lets you drive without supervision in your home country, the same should apply here. :)

Your country's licence is fine, although if it is not in English you will need a certified translation into English or an International Driving Permit (this is just a translation and NOT a driving licence - you must keep it with your original driving licence, so they can be produced on demand.

Be aware though that if you are granted a permanent visa, the period that you may drive on your original license may apply from the first date you arrive. So if you make a short visit first, to meet your IED date, and then actually move several months later, you won't be able to use your original license then. :)

Conditions do vary from one State to another - what State are you likely to go to? :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am planning on either Queensland (Brisbane) or NSW.

Decided on QLD earlier but having doubts now because of the engineer's professional licensing requirement there.
Could you tell me what the provision of NSW and QLD are? (If you know of both).

EDIT: Nevermind, found the links. Posting it here for others.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/moving-to-nsw.html

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/driver-licensing/overseas/transfer
It depends on the State.

If your license lets you drive without supervision in your home country, the same should apply here. :)

Your country's licence is fine, although if it is not in English you will need a certified translation into English or an International Driving Permit (this is just a translation and NOT a driving licence - you must keep it with your original driving licence, so they can be produced on demand.

Be aware though that if you are granted a permanent visa, the period that you may drive on your original license may apply from the first date you arrive. So if you make a short visit first, to meet your IED date, and then actually move several months later, you won't be able to use your original license then. :)

Conditions do vary from one State to another - what State are you likely to go to? :)

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
I am planning on either Queensland (Brisbane) or NSW.

Decided on QLD earlier but having doubts now because of the engineer's professional licensing requirement there.
Could you tell me what the provision of NSW and QLD are? (If you know of both).
For Qld:

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/driver-licensing/overseas/transfer

If your licence is in a language other than English, you should carry a recognised English translation of it when you are driving.

You will need to apply for a Queensland driver licence if you:

are not an Australian citizen, but before you took up residence in Queensland you were given a resident visa and you have now been residing in Queensland for 3 months.

You can apply for a Queensland driver licence for the same class as your interstate or foreign licence by visiting a Transport and Main Roads customer service centre or a Queensland Government licence issuing centre

If your driver licence has been issued in a country or jurisdictions not listed (this applies to Nepal and India), you will need to pass a written road rules test and practical driving test to get a Queensland driver licence.

Your authority to drive on your non-Queensland licence will be withdrawn when you have been issued with a Queensland driver licence. This means you can no longer drive with your interstate or overseas licence in Queensland.

For NSW:

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/transfer-overseas-driver-licence

Moving to NSW - Licence - Roads - Roads and Maritime Services
(scroll down the page to "International drivers and riders"

If you’re a permanent Australian resident, or hold a permanent visa under the Commonwealth Migration Act 1958, and you intend to stay in NSW, you are not considered to be a visitor. You can drive in NSW on a current overseas licence for a maximum of three months. If your overseas licence or confirmation letter is not written in English, you must provide an official translation.

Then you will need to apply for a NSW licence to continue driving or riding.

Non-recognised countries: If you hold a licence from any other country (this applies to Nepal and India), you will need to pass knowledge and driving tests when applying for an equivalent NSW licence.

So both States are the same. You can drive on an overseas licence (with an official translation) for 3months from the date you first arrive as a Permanent Resident, then you need to get an Australian license, and you'll need to pass the relevant knowledge and driving tests. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts