Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I hope when we talk about converting driving license(Indian) to an OZ one we are talking about the Indian national driving license. Or Do I need to apply for an international driving license now?

2. In my license the address mentioned is very old ( I got DL in 2000 ) and it does not match my passport address. Will that work? or It is necessary to match address in both DL and passport?

3. Can one apply for a fresh full license in OZ, if so what are the criteria?

-Melbourne

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
your DL will be valid for 6 months (the normal indian DL, not the international one)

they do not see your address, dont bother, but it should match the name on the passport

for fresh full license the procedure is very long, it is better to convert it, otherwise you need driving lessons, supervised driving and what not. just take the test after coming here, make sure you take a car and drive around, it takes time to get used to the driving here. my husband got it in the first go, i took 3 takes. he used to drive all the time and i was not confident, making stupid mistakes the first two times but the third time i made sure i drive around everytime we went out adn it worked, take one or two lessons from RACV, they tell you the basics like reverse parking, parallel parking and a few basic rules to be followed. they charge $45/45 mins.

the procedure is very simple, you take hazard perception test and IQ test, i think it was 90$ for both, then book the driver's test which is 53$ or so. if you clear it you pay 165 for a 10 year license. and make sure you go thru the online sample tests on vicroads site, all the questions for the IQ test are asked from those tests plus read the book that can be downloaded from there

Reactions: melbourne

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Anjali.

This is very helpful.

So I will get my name corrected in the DL (There is a small spelling mistake).
And when I arrive I will buy a car and get used to conditions there before taking the tests (within 6 months :) )

-Melbourne

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
yeah get the name change done PLEASE

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah get the name change done PLEASE
Thanks Anjali, another small query:

My wife does not carry a DL here as of now. Can she get a full DL after I teach her driving. I am planning to get a LL for her and teach her. Will that work?
Am asking this because I dont want her to get stuck in LL/P1/P2 since we may require her to pickup my daughter from child care etc and as far as I have read till now LL/P1/P2 has some restrictions in terms of passengers you can carry and type of vehicle one can drive.
If she cannot get a full DL and has to go from LL to P1/P2 to full DL then I would have to plan about the car I can buy. B'coz P1/P2s cannot drive higher cylinder vehicles.

-Melbourne

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
i suggest you get a DL for her from India, will make your life easier, let her take a few driving lessons there itself adn then get a full DL

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i suggest you get a DL for her from India, will make your life easier, let her take a few driving lessons there itself adn then get a full DL
OK, But I was reading on Victoria's website and according to my understanding one must have a DL atleast 3 years old to get a full DL otherwise the DL given would be P1/P2. And since one needs to convert DL within first 6 months i am wondering what to do.

-Melbourne

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
yes correct :(..

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So in that case we will get DL for her in OZ only. Thanks!

Going by current speed I expect Visa by June/July, do you thing September will be a good month to come and search for a job over there. Or should I come in Jan/Feb next year?

-Melbourne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.