Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone! I am Argentinian and Italian, but I have an Argentinian driving license.
I am planning to entre Dubai with my Italian passport as getting a visitor's visa is a bit easier that way.

Does anyone know if I can still use my Argentinian driving license when renting a car? Of course I would be showing my Argentinian passport for that matter.

Also, if I end up buying a car, I will need a UAE license, am I right?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, Argentinian licenses cannot be exchanged for a Dubai one- you will need an intenational driving license, or will need to apply for a Dubai one. And yes, if you are buying a car, you will need a valid UAE license. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
It's not as easy as you'd think here. To rent a car you need a valid visa in your passport, it's no problem with one of the bigger car hire companies that the passport with visa is Italy, and the Licence is Argentinian, although i would take my Argentinian passport with me to - to prove i was who i said i was.

You will have to sit a test here to get your UAE License, without it you can buy, but you can't register a car. there is a subtle difference.

·
Banned
913 Posts
my partner has a Lithuanian drivers license, it can't be converted like the UK one here. We even considered getting her a UK drivers license (not that difficult just some paper work) but the deal here *is your drivers licence has to be the same your passport

*Abu Dhabi

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
my partner has a Lithuanian drivers license, it can't be converted like the UK one here. We even considered getting her a UK drivers license (not that difficult just some paper work) but the deal here *is your drivers licence has to be the same your passport *Abu Dhabi
Ah, yes, I think I've heard that before but, perhaps, OP has two passports?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I could confirm I will definitely need an international driving license and that I can use my Argentinean one. I do have 2 passports though and I will be taking both of them. Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
my partner has a Lithuanian drivers license, it can't be converted like the UK one here. We even considered getting her a UK drivers license (not that difficult just some paper work) but the deal here *is your drivers licence has to be the same your passport

*Abu Dhabi
Passport and Driving License from same country is not true for most EU origins - I have a British Passport with a French Driving License - exchanged in Abu Dhabi for a local one without them even batting an eyelid. If it could be transferred to a UK license, then what would be the nation issuing the Passport.

Reactions: Vanesa
1 - 11 of 11 Posts