Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
36,909 Posts
It appears that the exchange fiasco has been finalised.

As of 28th Feb 2022 if you have a UK issued licence and haven't been able to exchange or you arrive here after that date you will need to take a test.

And here is a screen grab from the DGT...

View attachment 100958
I suspect this is just the DGT confirming what we were told just after Xmas, having just updated the website.

There might yet be an agreement I imagine, but that said, it would certainly be great if this were the final word on the matter. At least everyone would know where they stand.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, it's not conclusive of anything else.

Those are your words not DGT's.

Nothing new here, move along!
Did you check the DGT website...It was clear on there and thats where I copied it from...

Think its about time I stopped posting on here..
So I will be moving along as suggested..

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I agree, it's not conclusive of anything else.

Those are your words not DGT's.

Nothing new here, move along!
Información importante
A partir del 1 de marzo de 2022, el régimen de los permisos de conducir expedidos por las autoridades británicas será el previsto para los permisos expedidos a terceros países extracomunitarios.
Los permisos de conducir emitidos por las autoridades británicas serán válidos para conducir en España durante el plazo de seis meses, desde la entrada de su titular o desde la fecha de obtención

These are DGT's words. Seems pretty definitive to me in Spanish.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Información importante
A partir del 1 de marzo de 2022, el régimen de los permisos de conducir expedidos por las autoridades británicas será el previsto para los permisos expedidos a terceros países extracomunitarios.
Los permisos de conducir emitidos por las autoridades británicas serán válidos para conducir en España durante el plazo de seis meses, desde la entrada de su titular o desde la fecha de obtención

These are DGT's words. Seems pretty definitive to me in Spanish.
Firstly that's not what Barrie said and secondly it completely ignores the explanation which followed which reiterates the facts of the matter which are that those who registered for an exchange before the Dec 2020 deadline will still get an exchange (eventually) and those who came - or come - later will have 6 months to take a test.

No change in anything then and not a finalisation as talks on an exchange agreement are, we are assured, ongoing.

·
Administrator
36,909 Posts
Firstly that's not what Barrie said and secondly it completely ignores the explanation which followed which reiterates the facts of the matter which are that those who registered for an exchange before the Dec 2020 deadline will still get an exchange (eventually) and those who came - or come - later will have 6 months to take a test.

No change in anything then and not a finalisation as talks on an exchange agreement are, we are assured, ongoing.
As I understand it, the extension to the end of Feb is for those who registered before the end of Dec 2020.
Anyone who moved here after that date has 6 months in which to take a the test after the issue of their TIE. The TIE must be applied for within one month of arrival.

For the sake of clarity, the visa itself is only for entry; it doesn't confer right to reside, although since the TIE requirements have to be met to obtain the visa, it's unlikely thata TIE wouldn't be issued.

The point I'm trying to make is that one can't come to Spain with a visa & just stay without gettting the TIE, thus avoiding the need to take a driving test if one wishes to continue driving, as I read someone suggested on another forum.

·
Registered
THERE AND BACK AGAIN TO SEE HOW FAR IT WAS
5 Posts
Hola, hello...apologies for gatecrashing your licence conflab...im a brand new resident and forum user and cannot work out how i am supposed to do my First, intro thread before i can message someone about something specific, so i'v just looked for an interesting thread and hoping for the best...tally-ho, into the breach...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts