Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about driving on my Indian car license in Victoria. I got my PR in Aug 2012 and made my first entry in Oct 2012, but I stayed here only for 10 days and returned back to India.

I re-entered Australia in March 2015 and since then I am here, I wanted to know if I can still drive here on my Indian car license( issued 8 years back and still valid), till I get my Victoria license.

When I enquired at Vicroads, I was told that I can drive for six months from my first entry date , but since I have still not spent six months in Australia since my first entry - Can I still drive on India license??

If someone can guide me on this, it will be a big help.

Thanks,
viv_shr

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have a question about driving on my Indian car license in Victoria. I got my PR in Aug 2012 and made my first entry in Oct 2012, but I stayed here only for 10 days and returned back to India.

I re-entered Australia in March 2015 and since then I am here, I wanted to know if I can still drive here on my Indian car license( issued 8 years back and still valid), till I get my Victoria license.

When I enquired at Vicroads, I was told that I can drive for six months from my first entry date , but since I have still not spent six months in Australia since my first entry - Can I still drive on India license??

Thanks,
viv_shr
To my knowledge you cannot drive with Indian license anymore. As stated above, it's six months from your first entry.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Thanks,
viv_shr
Hi viv_shr,

The 6 months of PR Visa start as soon as you put your first step in Australia, even though that might have been a short trip.

The rule doesn't say that License will hold good until you finish 6 months of residential stay in Australia. It only says that License is valid upto 6 months of one's first date of entry in Australia. So, technically speaking, you cannot drive on that License anymore.

In case you have an accident or caught overspeeding, etc., you might invite more trouble because then authorities (Police) would find out that you were not supposed to be driving on the license.

Regards
Ausmover

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks
Thanks ausmover and ramesh for the response. Seems I'll have to wait till I get my Vic license.

Hi viv_shr,

The 6 months of PR Visa start as soon as you put your first step in Australia, even though that might have been a short trip.

The rule doesn't say that License will hold good until you finish 6 months of residential stay in Australia. It only says that License is valid upto 6 months of one's first date of entry in Australia. So, technically speaking, you cannot drive on that License anymore.

In case you have an accident or caught overspeeding, etc., you might invite more trouble because then authorities (Police) would find out that you were not supposed to be driving on the license.

Regards
Ausmover

1 - 4 of 4 Posts