Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have recently moved to France, and still have my UK photocard driving licence (it is Northern Irish but essentially the same as a GB one). I was wondering whether anyone has hired a car in the UK in this situation, i.e. with a UK licence with a different address to the residential address because the new one is abroad. Do the hire companies have any problems with this? What happens if you are pulled over by the police? Would they have a problem that the address is wrong?

I hope my question is clear, and thank you in advance for any advice.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I'm wondering whether this query might not attract more response if posted on the UK forum. Just a thought. (Personally, I can't see why you would have a problem, although perhaps you could use the visit to update your address).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm wondering whether this query might not attract more response if posted on the UK forum. Just a thought. (Personally, I can't see why you would have a problem, although perhaps you could use the visit to update your address).
Thanks for your reply :), ok I will also try in the UK forum. The problem is I cannot change the address to a non-UK one.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi All,

I have recently moved to France, and still have my UK photocard driving licence (it is Northern Irish but essentially the same as a GB one). I was wondering whether anyone has hired a car in the UK in this situation, i.e. with a UK licence with a different address to the residential address because the new one is abroad. Do the hire companies have any problems with this? What happens if you are pulled over by the police? Would they have a problem that the address is wrong?

I hope my question is clear, and thank you in advance for any advice.
No problem at all in my experience. If you are a resident of France and you get a ticket you may have to change to a French D/L for any point’s penalty.
I always book rentals using a UK company, it's cheaper and normally includes unlimited miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts