Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No doubt this has been discussed previously. After nearly 3 months here in Philippines, I have come to the conclusion they are arguably the worst drivers in the world.
I did not think I would find worse than Thailand, but I was wrong.
The propensity for continual unsafe overtaking just for the sole purpose it would seem, to get one car further up the queue, is non sensical as far as I am concerned.
Yes I am getting old and slowing down, not in any great hurry these days, but I liken Philippine drivers as akin to Kamakaze pilots!!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
hey mogo51

I find the filipino drivers just the opposite of bad drivers. I am amazed as how they can navigate through intersections with no stop lights or stop signs and never have accidents. I use to sit on a bench in Tagum City in Mindanao and watch for hours how they would navigate through the intersections on the national highway. There would be buses, cars, trucks, tricycles and etc all going through the intersection from all 4 points and never have an accident. I am from the USA and the people here can't drive because they won't give way to the other driver like they do in the Philippines. They move 3 times the amount of traffic because of not having stop lights or signs.

art

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey mogo51

I find the filipino drivers just the opposite of bad drivers. I am amazed as how they can navigate through intersections with no stop lights or stop signs and never have accidents. I use to sit on a bench in Tagum City in Mindanao and watch for hours how they would navigate through the intersections on the national highway. There would be buses, cars, trucks, tricycles and etc all going through the intersection from all 4 points and never have an accident. I am from the USA and the people here can't drive because they won't give way to the other driver like they do in the Philippines. They move 3 times the amount of traffic because of not having stop lights or signs.

art
Well I agree with you regarding courtesy of some Filipino drivers and giving way. Aussie drivers tend not to give much ground, so am having to adjust my approach.
My main point in this post relates to Highway speed driving and dangerous to stupid overtaking practices.
From the above I exclude Trike and Jeepney drivers, they are crazy and do not even look mostly when pulling out from kerb.

·
Registered
734 Posts
oh I do agree with you about highway driving. If i am going somewhere of greater distance I always take a private ride. I pay the extra money. I also tell the driver I am paying for a safe ride and I do not expect him to drive at a high rate of speed or drive recklessly. I won't ever think about taking another public ride especially through the mountainous areas. I had one of the buses I was on that almost went over the cliff from the driver driving crazy. That happened on the hills in northern Cebu when I was going to Bogo. The last trip I took I hire a van with only myself and my gf in it. She told him that we would not accept him driving recklessly.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I gave up driving here ages ago ,no highwaycode, nobody gives way, motorcycles on the pavements.
And as per greenstreaks post, there is a junction here in Los Banos called the crossing .
When the traffic guys are controlling the flow giving the National Highway priority theres long lines of traffic
But when the the traffic guys are at lunch traffic flows freely in all directions, no accidents .

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
No doubt this has been discussed previously. After nearly 3 months here in Philippines, I have come to the conclusion they are arguably the worst drivers in the world.
The propensity for continual unsafe overtaking just for the sole purpose it would seem, to get one car further up the queue, is non sensical as far as I am concerned.
Yes I am getting old and slowing down, not in any great hurry these days, but I liken Philippine drivers as akin to Kamakaze pilots!!!
Go to Greece Ron, very interesting. And watch out for the tear gas.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
hey mogo51

art
It does seem to work art but one must be aggressive and know when to be submissive, the traffic flows,,,,,,, most times.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love driving in the philippines. Driving in manila is a real buzz for me, merging from 10 lanes to 5 etc. coming from down under i enjoy the change of pace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Mogo51, I agree with you entirely. This is got to be the birth place of the world craziest and most dangerous drivers. I drove huge 18 wheeler semi trucks and charter bus in the States for years. It takes the experience of millions of miles of professional driving to stay safe driving anything here. Below is a post (in part) on that subject that I made back in 2010. My opinion has not changed except there are more unlicensed drivers now making it even more dangerous than back then:

Driving and vehicle repair in the philippines

The very best advice that can be given to a foreign visitor about driving in the Philippines is don’t! Don’t even think about it. Even if you are a professional driver of 80,000 pound semi trucks with two million miles under your belt; don’t drive in the Philippines.

The right hand driving pattern is used here as it is in America and Canada etc. The road markings and highway signs are pretty much the same. And even the traffic laws are much the same as most western countries.
But that is where the similarities end.

For reasons too numerous to go into in this short post I will just say that no matter what happens; no matter who is at fault in a traffic accident here. You, as the foreigner will almost always be found in the wrong. Even if you can show proof that you were not at fault, chances are you will still be held at fault and responsible by police for repairs and medical expenses of the other party.
Sounds crazy, but their philosophy is that as a foreigner, if you were not in the country the accident would not have happened in the first place!

Having said that; it is important to also note that I have been living in the Philippines for the past seven years and breaking my own rule the entire time.
So far, I have been very lucky and have had only one minor accident in that time. And be sure to always wear a helmet when driving. The police are always on the lookout for the unsuspecting foreigner that is in violation of any law they can think of.
If you are caught and fined in cash for a violation of any kind; it will give new meaning to the expression of “support your local police” as you will leave the scene knowing you have just bought the officers lunch or helped put food on the table in the home of one of his many wives he is “working” so hard to support…
Read The Post Here

·
Super Moderator
3,601 Posts
Los Banos Intersection

I gave up driving here ages ago ,no highwaycode, nobody gives way, motorcycles on the pavements.
And as per greenstreaks post, there is a junction here in Los Banos called the crossing .
When the traffic guys are controlling the flow giving the National Highway priority theres long lines of traffic
But when the the traffic guys are at lunch traffic flows freely in all directions, no accidents .
Wondered why when I come to Los Banos around 4 - 5 pm the traffic is at a stand still, this was when I noticed my car overheating and didn't find out till much later I had blown my lower radiator hose. It's like they give priority more to the University? Calamba Laguna is even a greater challenge they have round about area but I've been through both area's so many times I can pull out of any parking spot like a pro... Lol, but then again drivers do allow you in.

When I first arrived here about 7 years ago I didn't have a car and watched an expat pull out of the mall in Los Banos Laguna the one with the Pizza Hut in it and was amazed how easy he made it look but I do it all the time now... ha haaa, I guess it's a skill reading people and traffic, I think my car is finally fixed now also, had several leaking hoses.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hey Steve

Yeah the filipino drivers know how to give way through intersections and how they use their horns to drive. I have a friend that lives in Tagum city there and she said many years ago the city install traffic lights and they had nothing but accidents everyday. So after awhile the city removed the lights. Everything went back to normal. haha

I am afraid to drive there cause I am not use to not stopping at intersections like here in the USA. Sure there is an accident once and awhile but you realize how much traffic travels the roads there everyday. If there was lights everywhere the traffic would be backed up for miles all the time. I sit here at a traffic lights in the usa waiting for it to change and there is no traffic coming but I still have to sit there. I think how much traffic could travel faster without lights but the americans here can't drive no mater what because they won't give way. We are the worse people to drive here. If we blow a horn here we might get shot.

art

·
Registered
2 Posts
How to safely drive in the Philippines

Any seasoned motorist will tell you that driving in the Philippines is not for the faint of heart.Even though it’s impossible to control every single hazard out there, there are some steps you can take to somehow mitigate the risks of driving on Philippine roads.
A lot of useful tips from Auto websites like <Snip>, Philstar.... you can follow to survive from different driving incidents on the road

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love driving in the philippines. Driving in manila is a real buzz for me, merging from 10 lanes to 5 etc. coming from down under i enjoy the change of pace.

You have a very strange sense of humour, you can leave me out of driving in Manila.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Useful tips of driving

Any seasoned motorist will tell you that driving in the Philippines is not for the faint of heart.Even though it’s impossible to control every single hazard out there, there are some steps you can take to somehow mitigate the risks of driving on Philippine roads.
A lot of useful tips from Auto websites like Philkotse, Carmudi......you can follow to survive from different driving incidents on the road
Ofcourse it's right that you will be safe if you are Filipino, but for foreigners it's very terrible to travel on road even they know some basic tips from Auto websites

·
Registered
2 Posts
Traffic here is dangerous and driving takes a lot of concentration as you must anticipate pure insanity from other drivers. On the positive side is that people are driving quite slowly so there is at least time to take evasive action when other drivers do stupid things. I think the worst problem is lack of traffic rules. Watching a roundabout can give a few laughs, or leave you crying :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
One thing that has me a little worried now is I have spent a few days in a local court house awaiting the hearing for my adoptions and besides the droves of drug cases there is always some guy in handcuffs that is there for a traffic accident. I think someone was killed but still where I come from you are innocent until proven guilty.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Traffic here is dangerous and driving takes a lot of concentration as you must anticipate pure insanity from other drivers. On the positive side is that people are driving quite slowly so there is at least time to take evasive action when other drivers do stupid things. I think the worst problem is lack of traffic rules. Watching a roundabout can give a few laughs, or leave you crying :D
As said before by myself and others "when in Rome" I get the buzz, the adrenaline flows as it needs be to in any capitol city in any county. Agree with you TheSwede that driving in any major city especially Manila and Athens rings a bell, requires nous and yes balls with an ability to be aggressive or submissive as long as the destination is reached and definitely not for the feint hearted in metro Manila but survivable.
As for slowly I 100% agree in and around Manila and there is the safety zone. Slow moving traffic with options.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As said before by myself and others "when in Rome" I get the buzz, the adrenaline flows as it needs be to in any capitol city in any county. Agree with you TheSwede that driving in any major city especially Manila and Athens rings a bell, requires nous and yes balls with an ability to be aggressive or submissive as long as the destination is reached and definitely not for the feint hearted in metro Manila but survivable.

As for slowly I 100% agree in and around Manila and there is the safety zone. Slow moving traffic with options.

Cheers, Steve.

Yep i love the buzz in manilla :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts