Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm new to this forum. Sorry if this is a double post.
I'm visiting my parents in Dubai for the summer. I'm on a visit visa. I wish to drive my father's car while I'm visiting and have an Ontario Class G2 licence aswell as an IDP from the same province. AFAIK, I can drive a private car as long as insurance covers me. Is this information correct? If so, is a Dubai insurance company likely to insure an Ontario G2 driver who is visiting Dubai to drive his father's car?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Hello all. I'm new to this forum. Sorry if this is a double post.
I'm visiting my parents in Dubai for the summer. I'm on a visit visa. I wish to drive my father's car while I'm visiting and have an Ontario Class G2 licence aswell as an IDP from the same province. AFAIK, I can drive a private car as long as insurance covers me. Is this information correct? If so, is a Dubai insurance company likely to insure an Ontario G2 driver who is visiting Dubai to drive his father's car?
Thanks in advance.
The information in the article that Chocoholic has posted still seems to be valid. I contacted the RTA a couple of weeks ago asking the same question for my son visiting and driving my car on a UK licence. I initially asked via their chat service and then to be safe and so I had it in writing I sent an email to [email protected] and they responded very quickly confirming. The only thing they did advise was that he carried his passport with his licence. I then repeated the same with my insurance company who confirmed in writing that they would cover any driver providing they were considered 'legal' by the RTA.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The information in the article that Chocoholic has posted still seems to be valid. I contacted the RTA a couple of weeks ago asking the same question for my son visiting and driving my car on a UK licence. I initially asked via their chat service and then to be safe and so I had it in writing I sent an email to [email protected] and they responded very quickly confirming. The only thing they did advise was that he carried his passport with his licence. I then repeated the same with my insurance company who confirmed in writing that they would cover any driver providing they were considered 'legal' by the RTA.

Can you please share which insurance company you use? We've had this issue before as well re uk licence and visitors.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Can you please share which insurance company you use? We've had this issue before as well re uk licence and visitors.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My car is insured with AXA (who also took account of my UK driving history and NCD). The same issue was raised by Avis as my wife has a car on a 12 month rental. Initially they pushed back wanting UAE licence, visa and EID. Once I sent them the email from RTA they added the driver without any further argument.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts