Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i know there are loads of threads about taking you car to spain and the rules that apply.

One thing i have not been able to find out is if it is ok under spanish law for me to drive my friends dutch plated car.

The car itself has not been in spain over 6 months and has a valid MOT and insurance. None of us are resident (on paper anyway). I know that a spanish citizen is not allowed to drive my friends foreign plated car. But what about me as UK citizen driving a dutch plated car in Spain?

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
So do you live in Spain, or are you on holiday? If you live here, no matter what your nationality or where your driving licence was issued, you shouldn't be driving a car without Spanish plates.

En el caso de que un residente en España (da igual si es español o no, o si tiene carnet de conducir español o no) circule en nuestro país con un vehículo matriculado en otro país miembro, por ejemplo en Portugal, de acuerdo con la legislación española se le va a exigir que matricule el coche en España, o acredite el pago del impuesto de matriculación en nuestro país.
Google translate:

In the event that a resident of Spain (whether Spanish or not, or if he / she has a Spanish driver's license or not) drives in our country with a vehicle registered in another member country, for example in Portugal, in accordance with Spanish legislation will require you to register the car in Spain, or accredit the payment of the registration tax in our country.

·
Registered
123 Posts
"None of us are resident (on paper anyway)". If you mean that you have lived in Spain for more than 3 months and you haven't bothered to sort out your Cerificado de Residencia, then driving a foreign plated car is rather tempting fate!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts