Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wild idea - drove to Merida?

Is it like it used to be? Need a motel with fenced parking and a guard? NEVER turn your back on your car?

I'm not thinking rent - toooo oo many ways to end up behind the 8-ball, there!

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,049 Posts
I think you will have to be a little more explicit. I don't understand what you are saying or asking. I don't know what "it used to be" like. Most motels are completely enclosed by a wall, as are many houses in urban areas for that matter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you will have to be a little more explicit. I don't understand what you are saying or asking. I don't know what "it used to be" like. Most motels are completely enclosed by a wall, as are many houses in urban areas for that matter.
Yes, they are. First thing I noticed when crossing the border (Brownsville) was a metal grate on EVERY window... and those folks don't have money to waste...

I suppose those that advertise on these sites don't LIKE real issues... they tend to make people cautious. So it's important not to say anything real. I got banned from another forum for doing just that! Which would seem to have deprived me of information. But, what kind of information? The kind I need? Nope. The kind that can hurt me? You betcha!

This aint my first rodeo. Not by a long shot. I should have left, long ago. If I had faced it, I would be better off. Now time is short (maybe REAL short) which does not make what I need to do easier...

So, in short, I am looking for REAL information.

·
Super Moderator
8,989 Posts
Wild idea - drove to Merida?

Is it like it used to be? Need a motel with fenced parking and a guard? NEVER turn your back on your ca]
I'm not thinking rent - toooo oo many ways to end up behind the 8-ball, there!
When was "it used to be"?

·
Super Moderator
8,989 Posts
Yes, they are. First thing I noticed when crossing the border (Brownsville) was a metal grate on EVERY window... and those folks don't have money to waste...
Metal grates on windows are common everywhere in Mexico. They are part of traditonal Mexican architecture, not a sign that danger is lurking around every corner.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I suppose those that advertise on these sites don't LIKE real issues... they tend to make people cautious. So it's important not to say anything real. I got banned
What sites? You're talking about this forum and others like it? These are discussion forums and the people who post here aren't "advertising".

Discussion forums don't ban posters for posting or discussing things, even when the discussion could be considered to be negative. Posters get banned for troll-like behavior, which judging from your posts here, is likely to be true in your case.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Metal grates, some in beautifully ornate patterns, are very common in every Latin American country I have travelled, in both sketchy and safe areas, especially where living quarters are right next to the sidewalk. It would just "feel funny" without them. Hotels and residences are often walled, not only for security but to create a peaceful, private outdoor space apart from the noise and bustle outside. Yes these things are practical, but they are also expressions of aesthetics and a way of life. It's a different approach.

·
Super Moderator
8,989 Posts
Metal grates, some in beautifully ornate patterns, are very common in every Latin American country I have travelled, in both sketchy and safe areas, especially where living quarters are right next to the sidewalk. It would just "feel funny" without them. Hotels and residences are often walled, not only for security but to create a peaceful, private outdoor space apart from the noise and bustle outside. Yes these things are practical, but they are also expressions of aesthetics and a way of life. It's a different approach.
Grated windows (and doors) are also common in Spain, especially in areas that were part of the Muslim kingdom.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've got no interest in grated windows - but I would very much like to replace our solid cedar wood front doors with etched impact (hurricane) glass doors. It would brighten up the house. The opening is roughly 7 feet square. We have thermal glass in the house but it tends to cloud up over time (the gas gets out). Impact glass is excellent in noise reduction (not to mention the security).

Not much chance of any hurricanes at altitude. Anyone here have any experience in impact glass solutions in Mexico ?

·
Registered
572 Posts
FYI - amongst the sites I look at regularly is a competitive site to this one.
There, you will find a very similar thread to this one. One of the participants is very easily identifiable as a regular participant on this forum.
Here is a link to this same discussion on that forum :

Mexico Expat Forum: US plates? - driving through Mexico | Expat Exchange
Interesting. Guy's got no credit card, no car, talks about moving to Mexico, so probably hasn't researched anything about temp or permanent residency. Said the application form for getting a credit card put him off, so how does that bode for all the paperwork necessary in order to make one's home here?

Bars on windows and doors are an indication that one should be afraid? People in the US have surveillance cameras, high tech security systems and guns. So I guess things are real safe up there in America.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Interesting. Guy's got no credit card, no car, talks about moving to Mexico, so probably hasn't researched anything about temp or permanent residency. Said the application form for getting a credit card put him off, so how does that bode for all the paperwork necessary in order to make one's home here?

Bars on windows and doors are an indication that one should be afraid? People in the US have surveillance cameras, high tech security systems and guns. So I guess things are real safe up there in America.
I'm no detective but - the userid is "The Cold War Kid". I'm sure I am way off base but I think what you have here is a eastern European person practicing their English skills.

Huh - we live in a gated community, have a (currently unarmed) home security system, have one video security camera. I'm not worried about a breakin - but things do disappear from time to time (on the street out front).

·
Registered
1 Posts

I suppose those that advertise on these sites don't LIKE real issues... they tend to make people cautious. So it's important not to say anything real. I got banned from another forum for doing just that! Which would seem to have deprived me of information. But, what kind of information? The kind I need? Nope. The kind that can hurt me? You betcha!

This aint my first rodeo. Not by a long shot. I should have left, long ago. If I had faced it, I would be better off. Now time is short (maybe REAL short) which does not make what I need to do easier...

So, in short, I am looking for REAL information.
I feel safer here in Mexico than I did in US. Not going back. The pressure I faced nearly ended me. Some of it my own doing, most not. With homelessness, mental illness on the rise there, and addiction, which I see very little of, here, it was a huge relief to see that being the reality here, not to mention the affordability of living here. Walls and bars are common, have been for years. It helps! Also one is able to see what's happening in the USA from a different perspective. It's decline will not be ceased that I can see. Homelessness will hugely increase especially in the next 18 months...and once on the streets, it's nearly impossible to re house. I got lucky. My views only here, ty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What sites? You're talking about this forum and others like it? These are discussion forums and the people who post here aren't "advertising".

Discussion forums don't ban posters for posting or discussing things, even when the discussion could be considered to be negative. Posters get banned for troll-like behavior, which judging from your posts here, is likely to be true in your case.
Thanks for your mean-spirited response.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

It didn't "put me off." It made me LAUGH! How ANYONE even could be so foolish as to sigh THAT...! A BLANK CHECK... even worse than that... We'll make a deal but we can change that deal later... YEAH - RIGHT!

I don't borrow money, anyway... Never have and never will (God willing). But my daddy raised no fools!

Comparisons between relative safety are irrelevant, and then some. I say again: Ordinary people in ordinary neighborhoods of Mexico don't have money to waste. Therefore, those bars provide value... And, what is that value? Perhaps reasoning is not your strong suit?

Anyway, I didn't come here to argue. Those that call me troll, obviously did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I still don't see opinions on risks associated with driving a vehicle with US plates in Mexico? Where do they differ, and how?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts