Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning

I have a question regarding the conversion of my country's drivers licence to Australia.

I qualify for a straight conversion as I am in a listed country for that.

My question is in terms of the timing - they say that we must convert our licence within 3 months of arrival. What does this imply?:-

• Is the 3 months from first entry, or from the date my rental starts?
  • Would the 3 months only if I am is Aus continuously and it resets if i am not in Aus for the full 3 months from first entry?
  • Does the 3 months reset if I move to a new state?
  • Or is it a flat 3 months from when I arrive, and hence any interstate moves or overseas travel wont reset the clock?

Also, when converting my licence, is my drivers licence card sufficient, or to I also have to get a letter from my country confirming that I am a licenced drive there?

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
21,507 Posts
Good morning

I have a question regarding the conversion of my country's drivers licence to Australia.

My question is in terms of the timing - they say that we must convert our licence within 3 months of arrival. What does this imply?:-

• Would the 3 months only if I am is Aus continuously and it resets if i am not in Aus for the full 3 months from first entry?
  • Or is it a flat 3 months from when I arrive, and hence any interstate moves or overseas travel wont reset the clock?

Also, when converting my licence, is my drivers licence card sufficient, or to I also have to get a letter from my country confirming that I am a licenced drive there?

Thank you so much.
Which state ?

Cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good morning

Thank you so much.
It depends on which state in Australia you plan to do the conversion.
If it is Victoria, due to COVID, overseas license conversions can be done any time until April 29,2021. Pre-Covid, it was 6 months after entry into VIC as a PR.

In NSW, pre-covid, it was 3 months after entry into NSW, now its extended to 6 months after entry.

Regarding documentation, my answer is for NSW service now centers. The VIC centers may be different.
In NSW, in most service centers, you can do the conversion provided you also hold a passport of the country the overseas driving license was issued in.
If not, then provide a driving record from the jurisdiction your license was issued in.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good morning

Thank you so much.
Thanks for raising this question. I have a same question for NSW. I just moved permanently a couple of days back. Prior to this trip, I had a two weeks landing trip couple of years back in which I didnt drive a car.

Does my 3 week (now 6 week due to covid as someone said) start from landing trip or it will start now since I am enrolling for all the government services like centrelink, medicare, rental contracts for the first time now. Because if it has started from landing trip, then I may not be eligible to drive on my home country license now as it may have already expired.

Can someone please clarify.

In addition to that, if someone can also advise what would be the best approach towards getting a car to start with. Shall I rent one to address the immediate needs for looking around various suburbs, visiting kids school. Or its best to go for buying one right away?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Thanks for raising this question. I have a same question for NSW. I just moved permanently a couple of days back. Prior to this trip, I had a two weeks landing trip couple of years back in which I didnt drive a car.

Does my 3 week (now 6 week due to covid as someone said) start from landing trip or it will start now since I am enrolling for all the government services like centrelink, medicare, rental contracts for the first time now. Because if it has started from landing trip, then I may not be eligible to drive on my home country license now as it may have already expired.

Can someone please clarify.

In addition to that, if someone can also advise what would be the best approach towards getting a car to start with. Shall I rent one to address the immediate needs for looking around various suburbs, visiting kids school. Or its best to go for buying one right away?
Starts from your current visit. But do plan and close off DKT asap, to save yourself from last minute hassles.

If finances permit, you can buy one straight away.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks mate for getting back. This is really a relief.

A few related questions. I will go through the dkt questions bank and register for the test. Is there any waiting period for appointment?

And what would be the best way to buy? Go for brand new or used car would be a better value? Do u get good reliable used car dealers here?

Starts from your current visit. But do plan and close off DKT asap, to save yourself from last minute hassles.

If finances permit, you can buy one straight away.

·
Registered
22 Posts
And one more question, do you recommend taking some classes prior to road driving test? I have driven extensively in both Pakistan and UAE, but the rules may be different here.

How do one register for classes if we conclude its best to take a few and approximately how many should be done to not overkill but to ensure you pass.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Thanks mate for getting back. This is really a relief.

A few related questions. I will go through the dkt questions bank and register for the test. Is there any waiting period for appointment?
Not sure about that, but do try booking a DKT online and see how it goes.

And what would be the best way to buy? Go for brand new or used car would be a better value? Do u get good reliable used car dealers here?
It depends on lots of factors actually. New cars come with warranty for that additional peace of mind. Used cars could carry any of the unknown baggage and at times could be a hit and miss. If you are heavy user, buy a new car and if you are a low mileage guy, get a used car. There are many used car dealers who even offer warranty these days, and they are spread throughout Parramatta Road.

All the Best..!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
And one more question, do you recommend taking some classes prior to road driving test? I have driven extensively in both Pakistan and UAE, but the rules may be different here.

How do one register for classes if we conclude its best to take a few and approximately how many should be done to not overkill but to ensure you pass.
It is better to take driving lessons, just to understand the nuances around driving here. Only an instructor can tell you how many classes you would need based on his/her assessment after your driving. I know some who took 5 classes and cleared the test, while some who took 20 and failed. Both were experienced drivers in their respective countries.

All the Best..!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks buddy, would u know if there are any driving schools who provide these lessons or one can sit with any licensed individual?

It is better to take driving lessons, just to understand the nuances around driving here. Only an instructor can tell you how many classes you would need based on his/her assessment after your driving. I know some who took 5 classes and cleared the test, while some who took 20 and failed. Both were experienced drivers in their respective countries.

All the Best..!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks buddy, would u know if there are any driving schools who provide these lessons or one can sit with any licensed individual?
It will be best to check with your known contacts if they are aware of any driving instructors at economical rates per hour.
Also, ask the instructor to take you towards the test center routes for better preparations around the roads where you will actually take test.
Also, check with test center if they need some sort of overseas license verification letter or not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks mate.

It will be best to check with your known contacts if they are aware of any driving instructors at economical rates per hour.
Also, ask the instructor to take you towards the test center routes for better preparations around the roads where you will actually take test.
Also, check with test center if they need some sort of overseas license verification letter or not.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Does anyone have an idea abt this -

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/about/forms/45071383-request-confirmation-overseas-licence-details.pdf

Apparently if you are having US license but not having Us passport u need to get this. I had already got the online NJ driving abstract and that was not accepted.!

Went to two different Services nsw offices. Same thing both places.

Any guidance appreciated.

·
Registered
121 Posts

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/about/forms/45071383-request-confirmation-overseas-licence-details.pdf

Apparently if you are having US license but not having Us passport u need to get this. I had already got the online NJ driving abstract and that was not accepted.!

What is your question?

Usually a driving license verification letter (also called DL Extract in few countries) is required from the same authority which issued your driver license.
What was the reason for not accepting the NJ driving abstract given to you? Did they not tell you what exactly they require? And, is your license not issued by licensing authority in NJ? If yes, then do NJ driving license authority issues something different to validate your license details?

·
Registered
52 Posts

What is your question?

Usually a driving license verification letter (also called DL Extract in few countries) is required from the same authority which issued your driver license.
What was the reason for not accepting the NJ driving abstract given to you? Did they not tell you what exactly they require? And, is your license not issued by licensing authority in NJ? If yes, then do NJ driving license authority issues something different to validate your license details?
Sorry that you did not understand my question. The link I posted talks about a confirmation letter with all details they look for. The NJ drivers abstract that I downloaded/ paid and requested online had details about my license. But had no seal or signature from the issuing authority. Of course the license is issued from the licensing authority. Now I have again requested for a certified copy online. That will be posted to a NJ address and hopefully some one will mail that to me here. Will try with that. Hopefully it will work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts