Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was interested to read this article and wondered what other people think .... banning Happy Hour ? would this really reduce the drinking in Spain ? particularly amongst "minors" ? I wouldnt have thought minors were partaking of the benefits of Happy Hour ??? Another interesting point that I didnt understand :confused:

"traditional Mediterranean pattern of drinking is being abandoned while less moderate "Nordic patterns" are emerging"

Nordic patterns ????

Sue :spit:

Happy Hour Ban

By James Parkes
Costa News Oct 2009
COSTA bar owners fear a severe drop in customers if the Valencia Region decides to follow suit with Cataluña, which has this week issued the first ban in Spain on Happy Hours (two drinks for the price of one) in bars and discos.

Although the ban initially benefits the Costa Blanca, as tourists are expected to shun the Costa Brava and Costa Dorada due to the ban, bar owners fear the Catalan example will spread.

Those found breaking the ban will be fined between 3,000 and 600,000 euros.

Experts believe other regions, will follow suit, more so after a report this week showed alcohol abuse in Spain has soared.

The report concludes that the traditional Mediterranean pattern of drinking is being abandoned while less moderate "Nordic patterns" are emerging.

"The new consumption habit which is developing between Spanish youths, including minors," it says, "is characterised by alcohol consumption associated with leisure and weekend, times when large amounts of alcohol, especially distilled spirits, are drunk."

The study, which was developed by Madrid-based distillers Diageo and the IESE Business School at Navarra University, is part of their joint corporate responsibility strategy and calls special attention to the availability of alcohol to minors.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I dont think drink is the problem, its the mentality thats behind the reason for drinking thats the problem and that isnt gonna change whether they abolish happy hour or not!! You only have to look at the UK to see that the pricing and availablity do nothing to curb the problem!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
That's not an issue for the bar and disco owners - they'll just reduce the prices accordingly to get around it on "specials". The real issue I think here is the "botellon" phenomenon which is becoming out of hand, if the reports are to be believed. We don't get too many out here in the sticks, but news reports and even programmes like "Callejeros" give the impression that major town and city have corners dedicated to what in effect is young people (incl. minors) gathering in large groups and drinking large quantities of cheap booze from plastic bottles and indulging in drugs (which are freely available in these scenarios and very cheap, by all accounts).

Tallulah.x:)

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
That's not an issue for the bar and disco owners - they'll just reduce the prices accordingly to get around it on "specials". The real issue I think here is the "botellon" phenomenon which is becoming out of hand, if the reports are to be believed. We don't get too many out here in the sticks, but news reports and even programmes like "Callejeros" give the impression that major town and city have corners dedicated to what in effect is young people (incl. minors) gathering in large groups and drinking large quantities of cheap booze from plastic bottles and indulging in drugs (which are freely available in these scenarios and very cheap, by all accounts).

Which has nowt to do with "happy hour"! As with all governments and authorities, they're targeting the wrong end of an issue and missing the point!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Ive seen those news reports recently too Tally ..... and it looks as if there is a problem with that, but Happy Hour ?? banning Happy Hour does not seem to be me to address the botellon problem - its almost like a UK Government approach to any problem - ban something thats sort of linked to an issue - even though there is no evidence to suggest its the cause of the problem - or that it will solve a problem - but it looks like we are doing something about it anyway :confused:

Any comments or ideas on the "Nordic pattern" :rolleyes: I always thought other countries associated drink problems and drunkeness with the Brits!

Sue x

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
At the end of the day, bars and clubs and discos are supposed to be licenced premises and not selling alcohol to underage drinkers....therefore yes, the authorities are going after those over which they feel they have the most control - and those which are easily fined/prosecuted if they flout the law. Or maybe, it's not minors who are being served in these locals who are causing the problem, but the "older" clientele!! Stumbling out after a happy hour and karaoke extravaganza?!?

With the botellon scenario, I did see a recent report where they were trying to contain it within a certain specified area, so that it reduced the level of nuisance to others, and the local police would patrol that area. Almost like a legalised rave.

Well, as for the Nordic pattern, kids is kids is kids....we've all been there - a bit of a blow out over the weekend. I remember coming out here years ago though, and alcohol wasn't really "in" for the younger ones - they were more into just going out to a few bars, having non-alcoholic drinks and just hanging around chatting and having a laugh...so I suppose patterns are changing.

xx

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
With the botellon scenario, I did see a recent report where they were trying to contain it within a certain specified area, so that it reduced the level of nuisance to others, and the local police would patrol that area. Almost like a legalised rave.

xx
Maybe thats the easy and most sensible option rather than the UK situation where the nuisance is spread all over towns and causing trouble everywhere - they dont ever get rid of the problem either way! In fact I'm not sure how you can reduce or eliminate the problem???

Jo xxx

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Since when was drinking in Spain a problem ?
I've not heard of this thing that Tallys talking about, all I know about are the Brits on holiday on the costas who get smashed and cause trouble, but banning happy hour wont sort them out either!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
348 Posts
Since when was drinking in Spain a problem ?
Hey !!!!!!!!!!!...I'm a 100 messages old !!!!....happy birthday to me...happy birthday to me...happy bir......oh forget it...drinking in Spain eh...it really can be a problem

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Jo

Here is just one article about the Botellon ..... they are in the news regularly on Spanish TV ... interestingly though

"Under national law, the Council is obliged to provide a space for the youngsters to drink in public"

PS Happy PostDay Mr H! Taking Mrs H out to celebrate this evening ?? Happy Hour sounds a good bet!

Sue x :spit:

September 17th, 2009

The Local Police are carrying out a much more comprehensive monitoring of the weekly ‘botellón’ held each weekend in the Parque Verano Azul due to complaints received from local residents.

The police are trying to ensure that the drinking stops by 01:30, the time limit set by the Council when it authorised this location for the botellón.

The Council acknowledges that allowing drinking in the local public park carries with it numerous problems, from disturbance to local residents to damage to municipal furniture, but also acknowledges that the situation is complex.

Under national law, the Council is obliged to provide a space for the youngsters to drink in public, and they have done so. What the Council wants, however, is for this to be compatible with the rest of the community, namely local residents, businesses and local bars.

Local bars complain that they lose custom as a result of the street drinking, where people buy their own booze from the supermarkets rather than patronising the bars. The Councilor for Security, Jonathan Méndez, suggested that bars should also make an effort as one of the main complaints of the youngsters, and the reason for the popularity of the botellón, is that the price of drinks in many bars is too high.

The Council is keen to redress the situation and even has the option to ban the botellón, although this would seem unlikely. Another possibility is a relocation of the botellón, especially in view of upcoming plans to carry aout comprehensive building and renovation work in the Parque Verano Azul.

It always seems a shame, in any situation, when someone, be it private individual or public authority, provides a requested service, and often despite not agreeing with the principle, only to see it abused. Usually by a minority.

Perhaps a (leading) member of the Council should address an assembled ‘botellón’ to try and make some sort of agreement regarding a bit of self-discipline in exchange for continued support.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I think its actually a good idea to keep em all "penned in" to get bladdered! At least you know where to look if you have an errant teenager. Much easier than trawling the streets all night!!! (I'm loath to admit that I've had my fair share of this when my eldest went thru a "difficult" phase)

Jo xxx

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think its actually a good idea to keep em all "penned in" to get bladdered! At least you know where to look if you have an errant teenager. Much easier than trawling the streets all night!!! (I'm loath to admit that I've had my fair share of this when my eldest went thru a "difficult" phase)

Jo xxx

Me too! my boy was a nightmare on 2 bloody drunken legs in his teens! lol .... but thinking about I remember both my brothers going through a similar phase! and my sisters too! I was goodie two shoes .... I didnt drink that much as I didnt like the taste! lol :D

Sue x:spit:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Jo

PS Happy PostDay Mr H! Taking Mrs H out to celebrate this evening ?? Happy Hour sounds a good bet!

Sue x :spit:

Banned up here unfortunately...the new exchange rate has really boosted her savings account she says...she now has €23.72.......3 jobs really does pay you know. I keep telling her how lucky she is.

·
Registered
19,355 Posts
At the end of the day, bars and clubs and discos are supposed to be licenced premises and not selling alcohol to underage drinkers....therefore yes, the authorities are going after those over which they feel they have the most control - and those which are easily fined/prosecuted if they flout the law. Or maybe, it's not minors who are being served in these locals who are causing the problem, but the "older" clientele!! Stumbling out after a happy hour and karaoke extravaganza?!?

Well, as for the Nordic pattern, kids is kids is kids....we've all been there - a bit of a blow out over the weekend. I remember coming out here years ago though, and alcohol wasn't really "in" for the younger ones - they were more into just going out to a few bars, having non-alcoholic drinks and just hanging around chatting and having a laugh...so I suppose patterns are changing.

xx
The "botellón scene is well extended all over Spain. I remember there being big problems in Madrid and in Sevilla. There were riots in Pozuelo near Madrid in the fiestas this year and it was blamed on an area the ayuntamiento had put aside for botellón. The main surprise element however was that Pozuelo is yuppilandia. People were blown away by the idea that middle and high class kids could also get drunk and out of control!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The "botellón scene is well extended all over Spain. I remember there being big problems in Madrid and in Sevilla. There were riots in Pozuelo near Madrid in the fiestas this year and it was blamed on an area the ayuntamiento had put aside for botellón. The main surprise element however was that Pozuelo is yuppilandia. People were blown away by the idea that middle and high class kids could also get drunk and out of control!!:rolleyes:
But banning Happy Hour isnt going to sort this lot out :) Im just not sure where this idea comes from ..... Sue x

·
Registered
19,355 Posts
But banning Happy Hour isnt going to sort this lot out :) Im just not sure where this idea comes from ..... Sue x
Ah no, that's true Sue.
However, I did hear some young people being interviewed. Look at the following (more or less quote)
We'll have to go drink in the street now that we can't take advantage of the happy hour. We're only students and we haven't got any money.
My heart bleeds...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.