Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know the laws or even the etiquette of drinking beer on the streets of Spain (Nerja),,,the reason I ask is that every now and again I will purchase a couple of beers from the supermarket and drink them as I walk home through town (not sat on a bench at the local plaza surrounded by 'empties') from the beach/shopping/my allotment etc, I will be totally sober ie not weaving about, clean shaven, dressed well, not dragging a bag of booze along side of me, offering to fight imaginary opponents or telling passing strangers that they are my bested mate, but some of the looks I get off the local Spanish people could cut diamonds!!! Honest I am just knocking the froth off a couple of cold ones on my merry(?) way home.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
does anybody know the laws or even the etiquette of drinking beer on the streets of Spain (Nerja),,,the reason I ask is that every now and again I will purchase a couple of beers from the supermarket and drink them as I walk home through town (not sat on a bench at the local plaza surrounded by 'empties') from the beach/shopping/my allotment etc, I will be totally sober ie not weaving about, clean shaven, dressed well, not dragging a bag of booze along side of me, offering to fight imaginary opponents or telling passing strangers that they are my bested mate, but some of the looks I get off the local Spanish people could cut diamonds!!! Honest I am just knocking the froth off a couple of cold ones on my merry(?) way home.

I dont know what the law is, but why dont you buy something non alcoholic if you have to drink to get you home - it wouldnt look so bad

Jo xxx

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
Generally speaking people don't eat in the street, not even a packet of crisps
UNLESS
You're under 20, you put your booze in a plastic bag and you get together with some mates in a park or back street somewhere and call it a botellón
You're eating pipas, (sunflower seeds). Those you can eat anywhere and leave mounds of husks on the floor of the steps you've been sitting on, the floor of the metro...

Actually it's something I notice in the UK - the amount of people eating in the street, at all times of the day and it can be anything - a burger, a pasty, a cake, a sandwich, coke, squash, pop, icecream. Rarely see anyone eating fruit though, or anyone swigging from a carton of milk...

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
In my area, there are local bye-laws which prohibit drinking in the street, but it is rarely enforced unless somebody complains because a public nuisance is being caused, eg excess noise late at night. I have seen the police come along and make drinkers pour their beer away and disperse once or twice, but normally they are left to get on with it. These are not full scale botellones, just groups of friends and neighbours gathered outside on the street. It is something (and I'm struggling to find the right words here) only the lower class people do, though, which is probably why the OP gets dirty looks in the street.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
UNLESS
You're under 20, you put your booze in a plastic bag and you get together with some mates in a park or back street somewhere and call it a botellón
You're eating pipas, (sunflower seeds). Those you can eat anywhere and leave mounds of husks on the floor of the steps you've been sitting on, the floor of the metro...

Actually it's something I notice in the UK - the amount of people eating in the street, at all times of the day and it can be anything - a burger, a pasty, a cake, a sandwich, coke, squash, pop, icecream. Rarely see anyone eating fruit though, or anyone swigging from a carton of milk...
My mother always told me that its bad manners to eat while walking in open places and even now, I darent lol. As for drinking beer - its not a good look

Jo xxx

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
UNLESS

I notice the same thing in the States. It's shocking, really, to see the number of people who are all cramming something into their mouths as they're out and about.

I totally agree, it's really not done here. If people want something to eat or drink while they're out, they take a few minutes to find a cafe and sit down and relax while they enjoy it.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it would appear that the beer on the way home is out then mmmmmm,,,,,,I know I will buy a barking dog and let it [email protected]@p all over the place, I will take my litter and just throw it all over the park flower beds even though there is a bin not 10 yards away, errr oh I know let loud 'mortar' fireworks off at 2 in the morning every Tuesday just to get the dogs barking again etc etc etc I love it here in spain, all I did was ask what I thought was a genuine question, the answers could have enlightened other people who was unsure,,,,,way to go 'fellow' expats!!!!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
it would appear that the beer on the way home is out then mmmmmm,,,,,,I know I will buy a barking dog and let it [email protected]@p all over the place, I will take my litter and just throw it all over the park flower beds even though there is a bin not 10 yards away, errr oh I know let loud 'mortar' fireworks off at 2 in the morning every Tuesday just to get the dogs barking again etc etc etc I love it here in spain, all I did was ask what I thought was a genuine question, the answers could have enlightened other people who was unsure,,,,,way to go 'fellow' expats!!!!
A genuine question with equally genuine answers, which are; drinking in the street, altho maybe not illegal is frowned upon and unnecessary.

Nothing more to say really is there.

Jo xxx

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
I love it here in spain, all I did was ask what I thought was a genuine question, the answers could have enlightened other people who was unsure,,,,,way to go 'fellow' expats!!!!
I am truly puzzled.
You seem to think you've been some how badly treated by these answers.
Is that right?

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
People are just telling you how it is regarded in Spain (and that it can actually be illegal iin some areas - just as some local authorities have banned it in the UK). Whether you feel the Spanish attitude towards street drinking is justified or not is immaterial, it is what it is and you now know why you get disapproving looks, which is what you were asking about.

·
Super Moderator
12,555 Posts
No one here attacked you, just answered your question. So why do you find it necessary to attack those who answer you?
:rolleyes:

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A genuine question with equally genuine answers, which are; drinking in the street, altho maybe not illegal is frowned upon and unnecessary.

Nothing more to say really is there.

Jo xxx
''A genuine question with equally genuine answers, which are; drinking in the street, altho maybe not illegal is frowned upon and unnecessary.''---------------see folks now that's a decent answer to a descent question,,,, no inferring that I cant get home without sucking at a can of 'special brew' etc,,,good night.

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
better roll a big fat one then eh,,,,,, look down their noses at me for having one beer on the way home, they have got some neck I tell you!!!
It seems that they think you've "got some neck".

If you're not going to take advice, don't ask for it.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
7,074 Posts
better roll a big fat one then eh,,,,,, look down their noses at me for having one beer on the way home, they have got some neck I tell you!!!
What are you actually wittering on about?
Who are "they"?
Is there some CIA conspiracy against you drinking beer in Spain?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Whatever country you are in, walking along the streets drinking beer - or any alcohol isnt a good look and people may well stare

Jo xxx

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What are you actually wittering on about?
Who are "they"?
Is there some CIA conspiracy against you drinking beer in Spain?
god this is getting hard work,,,,, steveo let me list the answers to your questions for you-------------- 1- if you read the full thread you would be fully up to speed about what is being said here,,,,
2- I will refer you to the answer to question 1#,,,,,
3- not that I know of,,,,,, if you know different then please tell, I am sure we are all waiting with breath truly bated,,, CIA lol!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,555 Posts
If I see someone walking down the street drinking beer I cross over to the other side as that person MAY be drunk and drunks are often belligerent. In the UK it is illegal in many city centres to be drinking in the streets. Why should Spain be any different?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I think it depends on where you live. Unless it is fiesta time, it is usually the vagrants that drink in the streets in Cadiz. But, during the winter here, whole families gather on one of the plazas on Sunday with food and plenty of booze while the kids play around. In the summer, they go to the beach.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.