Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Dubai Mall having lunch yesterday and watched a lady in a backless dress at 12 noon and couldn't help but thinking that she got stuck with the day shift today. Seriously, why would you wear a backless dress in a shopping mall that's 18 degrees unless you are trying to get laid and get paid!

Let's spread the word so that no one we know gets arrested for indecent exposure:
gulfnews : Dress right drive snowballs

Even Hollywood is going modest:
The new demure: Thighs? Cleavage? Put 'em away! From Kate to the Hollywood A-list, modesty is fashion¿s hottest look | Mail Online

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I was at Dubai Mall having lunch yesterday and watched a lady in a backless dress at 12 noon and couldn't help but thinking that she got stuck with the day shift today. Seriously, why would you wear a backless dress in a shopping mall that's 18 degrees unless you are trying to get laid and get paid!

Let's spread the word so that no one we know gets arrested for indecent exposure:

Even Hollywood is going modest:
The new demure: Thighs? Cleavage? Put 'em away! From Kate to the Hollywood A-list, modesty is fashion¿s hottest look | Mail Online
The important questions right now, in order of importance, is 1.) Did you take a photo and 2.) Did you get her number?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I see they're having a whinge about it in the Gulf News:

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it, if they're so keen to import western culture and attract tourists, they're going to have to take the rough with the smooth.

It's probably a good thing for them to get used to the idea that the human body is not something that's disgusting that needs to be covered up.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
It's probably a good thing for them to get used to the idea that the human body is not something that's disgusting that needs to be covered up.
I am not Muslim but conveying the idea that they should get used to it is completely wrong (you are criticizing a culture). The idea behind it is quite the opposite.

You for sure know why they cover the body. And I think visitors that cannot follow or accept that common sense rule should leave plain and simple. They had already accepted so many things from Western perspective why stick the needle ?

If they wanted to be harsh I think they would only accept western people who are Muslims, have you thought about it ? It is possible.

Although it is nice to see a woman in such a dress (perfect eye candy why dress like that if not to be seen ?), it is not appropriate unless you are in private events with no Muslims. And that just entices other women to follow suite.

How many couples had (and will) discussed about this ? I bet everyone had/ will. " Look she is wearing like that why cannot I ?"

That's why I find UAE hard for women in general. That lady wanted badly to use that dress, but it is not appropriate. As there are laws forbidding people to chew a gum inside the subway, fines are there as well for inappropriate attires.

·
Banned
423 Posts
I am not Muslim but conveying the idea that they should get used to it is completely wrong (you are criticizing a culture). The idea behind it is quite the opposite.

You for sure know why they cover the body. And I think visitors that cannot follow or accept that common sense rule should leave plain and simple. They had already accepted so many things from Western perspective why stick the needle ?

If they wanted to be harsh I think they would only accept western people who are Muslims, have you thought about it ? It is possible.

Although it is nice to see a woman in such a dress (perfect eye candy why dress like that if not to be seen ?), it is not appropriate unless you are in private events with no Muslims. And that just entices other women to follow suite.

How many couples had (and will) discussed about this ? I bet everyone had/ will. " Look she is wearing like that why cannot I ?"

That's why I find UAE hard for women in general. That lady wanted badly to use that dress, but it is not appropriate. As there are laws forbidding people to chew a gum inside the subway, fines are there as well for inappropriate attires.
And in all this, what happened to freedom of choice? Why should The State tell me what I can or can't do - within reason. It's just another medieval law that suppresses women.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
you are criticizing a culture
I thought that was fairly obvious. Every culture should be able to be criticised, even my own.

You for sure know why they cover the body.
There are many reasons, and the answer to every single one of them is insecurity.

And if that happened, who would come here to stay in their hotels, shop in their malls, drink in their bars, build their infrastructure, fly their planes, donate their life savings to corrupt real estate developers?

And that just entices other women to follow suite.
You mean it encourages other women to give themselves the freedom to wear what they want?

I can sort of understand it when muslims and locals complain about it, it's their culture. I can't understand the crawly bumlick nature of some ex-pats who seem to enjoy going out of their way to militantly promote someone else's culture.

It's even more evident during Ramadan where you have non-Muslims soiling themselves over the thought of eating or chewing in front of a Muslim because it's oh so disrespectful, yet if you go to a country like Turkey, Muslims have no problem with it. Muslims are able to live in Europe without being bothered by everyone eating as normal. You're not allowed to here, and I accept that, but what's the point in non-muslims getting so passionately wound up about it? It's odd to me.

When people from other cultures come to my country and bring their own quirks and beliefs with them, I don't mind, I operate a live and let live policy. It would be nice if the same was available here.

·
Banned
423 Posts
Gavtek - IYDLITL
If You Don't Like It Then Leave.

Such a typical response - What is wrong with discussing your thoughts? Really Mr. Rossi, you're as bad as the worst mullah. Why can't we have an opinion?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Some of the tourists have the dumbest fashion sense, floral print jeans anybody? and I thought everybody left their fluorescent orange shorts in the 1980's, but apparently I was wrong, only the self-respecting ones did.
As far as the issue of dressing modestly is concerned, we will always have this debate. I have come to notice Dubai as a very tolerant place in these matters compared to Saudi or other places.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I was at Dubai Mall having lunch yesterday and watched a lady in a backless dress at 12 noon and...
And by the way, Pammy, I wasn't going to say anything, but as I know you are a stickler for spelling and grammar (nazi to some:D), "12 noon" is a tautology. Or indeed, a pleonasm. :p :D

"Pleonasm is a term used in Literature and English Grammar classes. It is derived from the Greek word “pleon” meaning “excessive or abundant.” Pleonasms are the opposites, or antonyms, of oxymora which are contradicting terms used together. Although easily confused and mixed-up with oxymora, pleonasm is redundant phrasing."

More can be found here:
Pleonasms: Redundant, repetitious phrases | WordFocus.com

Anyway, back to the morally insecure world of wondering/fantasising/discussing/debating/arguing of what women should wear, bearing in mind that some men need to be told too, or don't they?

Reactions: dizzyizzy

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don`t understand why this topic was started from an "Expat". Is it neccessary for an expat to pretend that we have to support the "locals" and make us self redundant because we are not able to keep up with the "local culture" 100%?

I don`t know...!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts